Glossary Of Motor Bicycle, bicycle parts and tools

Discussion in 'Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles' started by Dan, Sep 12, 2010.

1. biknut

biknut Active Member

2 stroker = Teenage male in first time sexual encounter.

2. Old Reliable

Old Reliable New Member

Some exhaust terms: back pressure, baffle, volumetric efficiency, exhaust port, header, expansion chamber

3. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

Great input. Thanks. Is coming along faster then I thought.

The goal is to have the glossary written by the members so with suggestions please put definitions as well. That way it is a group effort and we can edit as needed, as we go along.

4. fonzie

fonzie Member

"Squish Band"- Outer area of cylinder head that forces the unburned fuel/ air mixture into the center chamber for better combustion.

5. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman New Member

To make it easy to find what different terms mean or the common name for parts and tools, I thought we could do a community written glossary.

If your inclined, just add what you like with a description and I will add to the original post.

Will help new folks a great deal.

A. Ape Hangers- long handle bars that one reaches up to.

B.
    Bucking bar and bearing
    [​IMG]

C. Chain Tensioner - A device used to adjust the chain tension.

CC = Cubic Centimeters, refers to the displacement of the engine
    Compression tester..
    [​IMG]

CDI.
    [​IMG]

CVT = Continuously variable transmission. As engine speed increases the gear ration does too. Similar to an automatic transmission.

D.

E.

F.

G.

H. HT (Happy Time) Nick name for 2 stroke engine kit

I.

J.

K.

L.

M.
    Magneto (Coil and Magnet)..
    [​IMG]

Multimeter.. http://www.cozypad.com/wp-content/uploads/multimeter_image.gif How to use

N.

O.

P.

Q.

R. Rag Joint - Used to attach the rear drive sprocket to the rear wheel.

S.

T. TDC and BDC = Top Dead Center, Bottom Dead Center. (refers to piston position and timing.)

U.

V.

W.
    Woodruff key..A device with a flat top, flat sides, and a semi-circular curved bottom. Woodruff keys are used to assemble components on a shaft by fitting into a matching curved key slot. China girl has 4 keys. http://www.gemplers.com/images/pages/HC240.jpg

X.

Y.

Z.

*1 *2

#25 Al.Fisherman, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  6. multipaul

multipaul New Member

You can use the pictures if you like..;)
    Piston Assembly (2stroke)
    Piston ring gap (2stroke only)
    (Picture of a) Woodruff key

Attached Files:

7. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

And Allen Wrenches! Don't forget Allen Wrenches.

8. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

I think it'd be a good idea to include the names of bike frame parts too, since we use them in reference to where things are mounted.
    Head tube
    Top tube
    Down tube
    Seat tube
    Chain stays
    Seat stays
    Bottom bracket
    Rear (and front) dropouts
    - other terms may come to mind soon.

#28 Allen_Wrench, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  9. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

W. WOT= Wide open throttle.

Wooddruff Key

[​IMG]

Woodruff key..A device with a flat top, flat sides, and a semi-circular curved bottom. Woodruff keys are used to assemble components on a shaft by fitting into a matching curved key slot. China girl has 4 keys. http://www.gemplers.com/images/pages/HC240.jpg

X.

Y.

Z.

*1 *2

10. youknouno

youknouno New Member

This thread is super helpful ... a few more definitions would be handy.

11. multipaul

multipaul New Member

BGF,SBP. When I started here, I wondered what these letters should mean. There may be others.
    I use no abbreviations.

True anecdote: When I was a kid, I should learn to play piano. That did not work somehow. More than one finger at the same time. So I learned typewriter. With the years it became a minimum of 250 characters per minute. So I do not use abbreviations.

Multipaul

12. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

Yeppers Youko, we are getting there. I kinda messed up and figured out what I was doing wrong so will be a little neater soon. LOL, I hope.

That was funny Paul.

Amazing the way the mind works. I picked up the piano like it was nothing and still type with only 3 fingers of either hand.

Just dawned on me. It was the acronyms that got me thinking about this years ago. A bunch of us were gonna do just this. I think we did 3 and sort of wondered away.

I am almost embarrassed. Was 2 years ago. Well, that is several decades in internet time. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=23277

13. moonerdizzle

moonerdizzle New Member

N- Nitrous kit- A bad idea, see also, darwin award, see also blown motor

D- Darwin Award- An award given out to the individuals who removed them selves from the gene pool in a way that promotes survival of the fittest.

B- Blown motor- A motor gone haywire, could be as simple as burnt rings or could be as bad as a motor reducing its self into its base elements around the proximity of your groin

14. youknouno

youknouno New Member

Hey Dan. Can ya include that list from Nougat on the first page of the thread that you linked? Those were good.

15. youknouno

youknouno New Member

"WOT is Wide Open Throttle

Gap: the distance between the electrode and ground on a spark plug, usually measured in hundredths of an inch.

Torque, here usually in reference to head nuts: the measure of tightness, measured in inch pounds (for these tiny motors) or foot pounds. 12 inch pounds = 1 foot pound.

Mix, referring to 2 cycle oil in fuel: 32:1 is 32 parts gasoline to one part oil, equivalent to four ounces of oil added to a gallon of gasoline.

TDC: Top Dead Center, the position of the piston when it is at the very highest point in the cylinder. Usually used in relation to ignition timing, but the 2 strokes have non-adjustable timing.

Four stroking: a 2 cycle is supposed to ignite on every piston up stroke. If the engine is too rich (too much fuel), it will fail to ignite one on stroke, then pre-ignite under compression on the following stroke, then not ignite, etc.

Mag: Magneto, the coil of wire inside which the magnet rotor turns, generating electricity.

Porting: the practice of carefully grinding the intake and exhaust ports and the intake pipe and exhaust header, so that the edges match. This makes for better flow, and thus more power."

^Nougat

" 'porting' is grinding the ports bigger, while "port matching" is grinding the ports to match."

^bairdco

16. george_n_texas

george_n_texas New Member

fubar Fouled up beyond all recognition
    noob someone relatively new to the hobby I think...usually posts whines about how bad the cheap kits quality is...see also fubar as this is usually what they have done to their kits LOL

17. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

Anti seize a little goes a long ways! It will not be long before you figure out it got all over you and your surroundings lol.laff

18. youknouno

youknouno New Member

I don't plan on being a whiny FNG. If after much patience and trial and error, I'm unable to get the cheap motor up and spinning, I've already resolved to spending the pretty penny.

19. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Custom MB Buiilder

How can we help? What would you like to know? (c)

20. george_n_texas

george_n_texas New Member

Norm's section has most answers if you dig. These things are pretty simple devices once you read the troubleshooting steps. There is also a search tool at the top of the page when you go into any section of this site that is most usefull.