Getting old is rough

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I was a trimmer operator in a paper mill, all the tables and trimmers had air blowers in then, to help slide 6" thick blocks of paper. LOL this it way I have a new right, knee and shoulder.................Curt, if we would just known.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
The title of this thread pretty much defines the scope. Today I have managed to circle the sun 73 times.
My cohort group in the last year saw two go to the happy hunting ground. Sempre Diem.

We had rain in the forecast, so Wed. was a busy day raking leaves and other yard work.
Been incrementally working on my new to me TerraTrike Rover. Previous owner was longer legged.
Shortening the chain is the simplest route.
Replacing it with new chain bathed in my crock pot chain wax is what will happen. There is more to it.
Maybe Silver Bear can chime in.

Tom

Reactions: Tony01 and fasteddy

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The 23rd of this month will be my 9th year at the school system, one more trip around the sun and I’m done. I’ll be 67 when I leave, I think working full time and never being out of a job for 50 years is long enough for anyone to work. I’m not complaining I’m blessed, I’ve only had 4 jobs since I was 17, once I stop working I don’t plan to take another job.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I’ve only had 4 jobs since I was 17, once I stop working I don’t plan to take another job.
[/QUOTE

What are you going to do besides wait to die?
I started at 16 as a short order cook at a Dog-n-Suds in 1967. Upped my pay by working at a Goodrich dealership doing engine oil changes, car exhaust replacement, brake servicing/replacement, and tire change and balance. Then I got a Tool and Die Apprenticeship in 69. Stayed there 10 years .
Then the Journeyman adventure began. Unlike you, my work journey does not fit the four slots allowed.
My rule is the only way up is out. Adaptability to different work environments. The singular most challenging was my third professional position. D.R. Sperry, a foundry in business pre civil war.
In the short time I was there, manufacturing processes got improved greatly. It has gone on like that.
My professional resume counts 17 hiring. some I count though they were repeat hires at a temp job.
F'n covid stopped me dead. My wife had a bone marrow transplant.

Tom

Last edited:
Reactions: fasteddy

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Tom I’m not going to sit on the porch like a lot of people have done and wither away, I’m too self motivated. There’s a lot of places in the US that we haven’t seen, the first couple of years will be geared around travel. I’ve got a shop full of tools and several projects in mind that are on hold building a few new bikes, I’ve got several thing I need to do to my GMC that I’ve been putting off to.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Tom,
It's interesting how life goes. You've made 73 circuits of the sun and Beach Comer has made eighty and Greg will have covered 67 of them when he hangs up his job for the last time. It's a great feeling Greg.

Happy Birthday.

I often think that mine so nearly ended at twenty two of them except for an EMT who applied their skills.

Steve.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I had a visit to physical therapy yesterday, but no return visit scheduled.

The incision area is still bit tender. Mass Age (oops!), massage of the incision area I was told about and it seems to help. Just not yet wanting to have someone else handle my arm now.

For someone else, obliviously not aware when pain is starting from the therapy, and I cringe and have lasting pain, enough to waste the time spent there, not something am ready for yet.

Some test done yesterday, with measure of strength, which might have instigated latent pain last night, am not sure of. Still can try some exercises of my hand flexibility that they were concerned with. It is delayed pain that is really the concern from these exercises I am concerned about.

As for the extra inch of separate tubing on the hearing aids I have, they are on some hearing aids but not all. I however saw where the tube on some is cut short and is still open at the end. Saw in a video on replacing tubing where they cut it off flush.

I not only missed seeing the volume adjustment, but in retrospect I also found the doctor to not be totally honest.

I somehow remember putting the extra length of tubing without the umbrella in my ear. That is not comfortable. So now decades later, I know that it is OK to stick umbrellas in your ears. Leave the inch length of tubing just to air out.

MT

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Tom I’m not going to sit on the porch like a lot of people have done and wither away, I’m too self motivated. There’s a lot of places in the US that we haven’t seen, the first couple of years will be geared around travel. I’ve got a shop full of tools and several projects in mind that are on hold building a few new bikes, I’ve got several thing I need to do to my GMC that I’ve been putting off to.
I Am so glad I retired early 2 months before my 59th Birthday, was a little taught at first, until I turned 62. I am on my 5th motorhome, all used
1710549484319.png

1710549560842.png

Its a 08 26 ft. Winnebago. We spend quite a few night in truck stops, that and Walmart's, otherwise State and federal camps for water and dump tanks...........Curt

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I am content with your happiness Curt, it suits you.
My wife would have it your way too, if not for me.
I have no need or use for such gas guzzling conveyance. But if that rig had a mill, bandsaw, drill press, lathe, anvil with forge. With pin up photo's of Bettie Page I would have to give it thought.
But why would I go anywhere? Home is where the hearth is.

Tom

Reactions: fasteddy

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Curtis we have a couple of travel trailers, our outback is 26 when towed with a king bed that slides out to the rear, 31 or so when the slide is out. The little Jayco is only 18 feet long, I bought it the weekend before Covid shut down everything and did a total restore. The little Jayco is my hunting rig, I installed a 100 watt solar panel to keep two batteries charged. We been on four day trips without power with no problems.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
When I did the Jayco I posted the rebuild on the forum of the same name, I took everything out of the inside and replaced the floor, it turned out better than I expected. Like most of us here I’ve built or restored just about everything, the travel trailer is one more on my list I’ve completed.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
When I first started, it was a car/trailer, and tent. Then I bought a 86 Ford, found a high topper. Then I found a 1970 Morris 19ft. Travel travel trailer, used the combo for a few years. I tried some pickup campers, but to much all overt the road in the wind. All in All never had any regrets, One of the best trips was to Jasper Canada 4 time I believe, there are 5 national parks coming down, then there is Yosemite In CA. Truly Gods country...............Curt