For Old Guys Only

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
X,
Be sure to burn the paint off before you use it for meat. Some of those were paint, some powder coat. Whichever, you don't want your dinner tasting like a warehouse fire.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
X,
Be sure to burn the paint off before you use it for meat. Some of those were paint, some powder coat. Whichever, you don't want your dinner tasting like a warehouse fire.

Tom

Thanks, Tom! Yep, that's part of the 'test run'. Gonna crank it up to a heat that I'll never see when I'm actually smoke'n. If any paint flakes, I'll sand it off and 'test' it again.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
X,
What do you use in the water box, pan, drawer? I've used beer, salad dressing even Pepsi Cola for pork. Everyone has their favorites. Beer seems to work great for fish. Why Pepsi instead of Coke for pork, I don't know but I read that somewhere years ago and it has always worked good for me. A 50/50 mix with water seems about right.

I like to start my smoker early in the morning when there's no breeze. Stinks up the whole neighborhood. It was cooking away one time and I was stopping traffic on the street next to my house. People yelling, "What time is dinner?" Must have smelled good.

I do pork ribs on my grill about twice a month. I like hickory, cherry and apple wood. Always soaked in water for twelve to twenty four hours first so it burns nice and slow. Really puts out some good smellin' smoke too.

Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Don't put anything in the "box"

Ain't got no box. What's a "box" anyway?

Just put the ribs onna rack inna pan, and put 'em inna egg with hardwood lump. After an hour low (200) I throw a cup of soaked hickory chips on the coals. Another hour and a half they look like this;

Smoked to the bone;

Lump & wood is all I use.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Mike, those look really, really good!! I know I should probably just break down and get me an Egg ---- I just haven't been able to pull the trigger, yet. Maybe when the Weber is on on it's last grate......

Tom, I tend to use beer, water with worchestershire sauce, or Dr. Pepper. Just depends on the mood. As far as the wood, I prefer cherry or pear. My brother-in-law has a farm/ranch with lots of pear trees, so I always have access to that.

I like to use a 'box', because it allows a longer smoke because of the moisture. Not right, not wrong, just how I like to do it.

This is the only type of smoking that I do ---- and it's "oh so good!!"

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I've burnt (rusted) the bottoms out of 2 webers, been through 4 gas grills (burners rusted out) and I was looking for a gas grill with cast iron burners when I found the egg online.

That was 15 years ago.

It paid for itself - :)

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
My Weber (natural gas) is 11 yrs old. I replaced the 'tents' and the grates last year. It's been the best grill I've owned. I do 'smoke' with it --- indirect heat and wood in a cast iron pan. So far, it's done very well. Hopefully, the cabinet will be better!

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I think there is material here for a new show on the cooking channel. Something along the line of "Old MB'ers Grillin' Secrets". Tom could host it and have a different old guy on each week with his favorite recipes.

Dan

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
This qualifies as an "old guy story", I had no idea on September 29, 1980 if I would like my new job. Fast forward to Monday and what do you know its been 34 years! Another 10 and I'm done, if all goes well. Its funny I know people that have had lots of jobs, I'm only on my third.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Amazing how fast time goes. The 14th of October I will have been retired 4 years. I sit here and shake my head because it doesn't seem more than a year or two. Four years since I had to answer to anyone but my wife....and the IRS. :)

Tom

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
34 years is a long time. I can't think of any things I really enjoy that could
hold my interest that long. There;s just too many things I haven't done yet.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
This qualifies as an "old guy story", I had no idea on September 29, 1980 if I would like my new job. Fast forward to Monday and what do you know its been 34 years! Another 10 and I'm done, if all goes well. Its funny I know people that have had lots of jobs, I'm only on my third.
We are alike Greg in that I've only held 3 jobs in my life and we both made a change in the early 80's and not changed.

The difference is I have been making my living these last 31 years from home.

Congrats to both of us for sticking with it ;-}

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Otero if my job didn't cover so many different things I probably would have already moved on. Maintaining a 2 million sq ft distribution center is a challenge, I never do the same thing. The picture below is from google earth, it's easy to see our building. It's the largest in the area.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If there is anyone who knows what Grag has to put up with it's me. I used to do what he does. My facility was small, 1.6 million sq. feet, but I'm familiar with the stuff that fills his days. I was at that job for almost 17 years before I was old enough to pull the pin.
My hat is off to him. Lots of respect for hangin' in there for that long.

No wonder he got involved with motorized bicycles. You need something to break up the stress :)

Tom

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
I'm a drifter with no apologies, I've had a hundred different jobs, besides
being a prospector & hermit mountain man. It's been interesting, and I've
picked up a lot of skills. I spent a lot of time in libraries learning stuff that'll
never get me an MBA. Damn though, It's been quite a ride. Never quite
got serious about the quest for the almighty dollar. I was always about the
huntin' more than the findin'.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I'm a drifter with no apologies, I've had a hundred different jobs, besides
being a prospector & hermit mountain man. It's been interesting, and I've
picked up a lot of skills. I spent a lot of time in libraries learning stuff that'll
never get me an MBA. Damn though, It's been quite a ride. Never quite
got serious about the quest for the almighty dollar. I was always about the
huntin' more than the findin'.

Yep, when you really analyze life to the very core, money ain't the thing that makes you happy.

When I was young, I felt that I was destined to change the entire world. Didn't happen. Was kinda bummed about that many years ago. However, I'm at peace that I did influence just the wee bit that mattered most to me.

(Just had an urge to chant 'koom-bah-ya'......:D)

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Made me think of one of my favorite quotes;

Richard Bach's "Jonathan Livingston Seagull"

"Most gulls don't bother to learn more than the simplest facts of flight - how to get from shore to food and back again. For most gulls, it is not flying that matters, but eating. For this gull, though, it was not eating that mattered, but flight. More than anything else. Jonathan Livingston Seagull loved to fly."