For Old Guys Only

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
G/N I've told this story before but will tell it again, my wife came out to my shop one day and started asking why I kept this and why that. Then she came to a old rusted well pump motor sitting under a table, she said why are you keeping this and I said spare parts. She left talking to herself, a couple of weeks later the well pump went out and guess where the replacement part came from, it was the start up capacitor. This was a Saturday light at about 9:30 so there was no where to get a new one. She has said very little about my "spare parts" I keep in my shop. By the way that old well is still working long after we got on the county water system, it seems that one mans trash is another mans treasure.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
2 funny. Carol and I were just discussing a framistate, (is like a doodad only less useful) I couldn't decide whether or not to move it to the new shop. One of them things. The day ya throw it out, the next day you need it.

Really cool thing about the time we live in. Can fix any thing. Just need a youtube vid or a DIY article and "close to" the right tools. I fixed the furnace the other day. Didn't have a clue. Just the interweb.

"We can do, build or fix any thing. We could build space craft. Sure, we'd die a screaming, painful death as we plummeted, on fire, back to Earth but we can build any thing"

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I have worked for so long doing some much with so little, for the ungrateful and no reward, that I am now capable of doing anything with nothing for nothing.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have worked for so long doing some much with so little, for the ungrateful and no reward, that I am now capable of doing anything with nothing for nothing.

Awesome Ludwig! Was that Sir Winston?

Dang. of all the things I miss, I miss my mind the most. And my keys. My keys and my teeth. OK, in this order. I miss my mind, my keys and my teeth.

That's all I need. My keys, my teeth and my cat "****head" That's all I need....

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I have this on a tool box at work " we have performed this job for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing"! I had the original on the wall of the machine shop I worked at in the late 70's.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I am rolling Tom.

".....OK, I don't need my dog..." snicker snork snork. (and my cat. **** head) Thats all I need)

except for this ashtray...

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Here's one for you old lads. Remember when we were young and it seemed that the only thing that went quickly was summer vacation.

Here is a reminder of then and now. Listen to the cars passing the pits in both videos.

http://www.break.com/video/f1-pit-stop-1950s-present-day-2598100

Steve.

Looked like the 50's 'jackman' needed a little more butter in his britches --- or a longer handle.

There's gonna come a day in F1 where the cars won't even have to stop for their pitstop.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It's funny how the roots of something are often lost in the mists of time. The F1 high speed pitstop has evolved from the 1960s when the American single seaters had shaved times down to 8.5 seconds, and British/European teams followed the lead, as every shaved down second counts.

About the only thing I can see that would make it quicker now is a button in the cockpit that spits the used wheels off as the car comes to a stop.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
That's funny Barelyawake that reminded me of what DW says sometimes when a wheel comes off during a NASCAR race." You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel", referring to the Kenny Rogers song .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I think that was an experimental system. The idea was it saves time in the pits because the crew didn't have to spend time taking the wheels off during a pit stop.
The trick is to time it just right :)

In all seriousness, what the heck happened there? Any details on that vid?

Tom

Geoinvt

Apr 14, 2014
Vermont
Yes, I absolutely remember them. Had em on my bikes as a kid. I also remember some made of felt. From what I remember they were to keep the axle nice and shiny. the reflector just added a little weight so they'd stay in place rather than spin with the wheel. It may sound stupid but I have a piece of leather shoe lace on each wheel now. Just can't help myself. Old habits die hard.

OK, who remembers the tiger tail you got at the gas station and hung on your seat? How about the little license plates with your name?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
From Autoguide.com, 2010:

"During testing for the Chinese Grand Prix this weekend, Torro Rosso’s Sebastien Buemi was involved in a bizarre crash that just has to be seen. While under hard breaking down the main straight heading into Turn 14, both front wheels and tires came flying off his race car, leaving him without steering or much braking.

Since the incident Torros Rosso has examined the car and found the fault to be with the front suspension, which essentially collapsed, snapping the wheels loose. The part in question is part of a new design introduced on the car for the Chinese GP. Buemi was unhurt and should be ready for qualifying tomorrow for Sunday’s race."

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
From Autoguide.com, 2010:

"During testing for the Chinese Grand Prix this weekend, Torro Rosso’s Sebastien Buemi was involved in a bizarre crash that just has to be seen. While under hard breaking down the main straight heading into Turn 14, both front wheels and tires came flying off his race car, leaving him without steering or much braking.

Since the incident Torros Rosso has examined the car and found the fault to be with the front suspension, which essentially collapsed, snapping the wheels loose. The part in question is part of a new design introduced on the car for the Chinese GP. Buemi was unhurt and should be ready for qualifying tomorrow for Sunday’s race."

I see that the article failed to mention the condition of said Buemi's tighty-whiteys......

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks, Ludwig. That was mysterious for sure and the explanation makes sense.

Geoinvt, Welcome to the forum. Yeah, those little leather things is what started this old thread for old guys. I'd almost forgotten.
Yes, I remember the tigertails. But as I recall weren't they supposed to hang from tha gas cap? That was the primise of the commercial. "Put a tiger in your tank"

Heck, they still have those little plates. I saw them on a turnstyle display just a few days ago. Was gonna get one but they were out of 'Tom'. :)

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Went to the Dr. yesterday concerning a growing lump in my chest just under my ribcage. The area had become extremely sore. Come to find out, I've torn the cartlidge that holds the chest muscles together and I've got the beginnings of a hiatal hernia. So, I'm back on steroids for a short while. This puts a serious kink in my work as I'm limited to a lifting limit of just 10lbs.......also, feels like I've got a major case of heartburn.

I feel that the next 20 years may be one heck of thrill ride...........for a masochist!!