Felt slater Q matic New Build

GoldenMotor.com

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
There will times when you get down to the CC lock-up rpm, that the clutch will fall out and then you coast. You'll be able to pedal the bike as before.
However, anytime you are above the rpm of lock-up, you should have engine braking available.;)

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
As for compression braking, I don't know how Flex is going to do that with a CC on the crank. I don't think it's possible, even with a locked crank freewheel.
I was under the impression that Flex had a freewheel on the crank so that the wheel and engine weren't driving the crank. I was implying that if he eliminated the Freewheel in the Nuvinci, that compression braking was available, at least until the CC dropped out.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
There will times when you get down to the CC lock-up rpm, that the clutch will fall out and then you coast. You'll be able to pedal the bike as before.
However, anytime you are above the rpm of lock-up, you should have engine braking available.;)
Yep, that's how Qmatic is. If I want to engage the clutch for braking on a descent I goose it a bit until the clutch kicks in... then the muffler gets nice rapping off as the engine also slows the bike some. Letting off the gas completely allows the engine to idle and coast along.
SB

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hey ale
Think about what your saying..the crank freewheel has nothing to do with powering the bike thru the motor. It's only there for peddaling.........When is the bearing engauged..Only when cranking....Peddals...When your ridding your bike are peddals turning? No unless your peddaling it..so why would it turn simply by coasting .if your rear is locked what happens . nothing it's freewheeling..

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
We do have different rear hubs... mine is a coaster brake. But what I describe about the auto clutch engaging with a bit of throttle and coasting at idle and disengaged is what I can vouch for.
SB

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
All I am saying is hold the peddals Then spin your rear sprocket.the peddals dont move.just like you and grey described...So Your so right....this theory is only correct if your running a shift kit of some sort...and yes when coasting a little rev keeps clutch engauged....Thats a beautifull
thing..that rapping sound. I love it..

Last edited:

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
I have not put the Nu Vinci on yet. As i wanted to get more info for those who will be running something simalar . Now that I am getting use to shifting it
I am starting to really understand the 3 speed its has great power thru 1st and second and I can climb any hill around here as for 3rd.its totally a overdrive gear
1st and 2nd very nice and if your at around red line when you hit 3rd it will continue to accelerate .But if your just cruzing and hit 3rd.it will maintain speed at half the rpm. So at cruzing speeds it almost seem like your just above idel
If you want to pull hard just down shift .I have found with the nexus it will up shift even if you dont let off I am sure its not great for the unit .but on the down shift it take alittle practice but let off alittle and it will go in it's like double clutching a car. Is what it reminds me of..all in all I think anybody who does this conversion will be totally happy no more bogging up hills . and motors not screaming at cruzing speeds .My felt is very happy I can tell ..and so am I.
this is something anybody can do . When I can release pics you'll see how simple and strong it is made for longevity and ease. I tryed to design it so anybody can hopefully use it . If your having problems going up hills .That will be a thing of the past. Also if you dont want your motor screaming at high speeds .Also a thing of the past...Plus it sounds totally cool when it shifts .
and when i get eng. braking the sound of that rapping theres nothing I love more..Flex.....

Last edited:

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
If the Nexus 3 speed had a was to use the brake without a big deal .I would just leave it on as I am really starting to like it ..If I have to spend a bunch of money on parts to make nexus stop. I will put that money to the lacing and disc for Nu Vinci...so far no problems engine mount is solid doesnt move at all. As well as the shifter unit .now that the chains are streched . and i have adjusted it .Everything is staying perfect .the chains stay were you put them. Which I think is the most important thing for a shift kit proper chain tension all the time..But if the chais strech more no big deal as there is plenty of ajustment room twist a couple of nuts and Bobs your uncle..

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Hit a milestone today of 200 miles on the Q-matic (BEST piece of hardware I have ever bought) and about 215 miles on the HS engine. Many of you are going ho-hum...but with the 2 stroke Flying POS I had on there last year...didn't even make it that far.

Even more...it's only May 2nd with the rest of the summer to November coming up. I expect about 10-12 oil changes and $40-60 of gas for the whole season!!!

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
You go Phoo sounds like your having a ball..Me to been ridding the felt mostly
trying to break the shift kit so far cant everything is solid no movement or twisting ..also breaking in the BOXER WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
You go Phoo sounds like your having a ball..Me to been ridding the felt mostly
trying to break the shift kit so far cant everything is solid no movement or twisting ..also breaking in the BOXER WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
The only things which kills me out here is the weather. Seems like it's clearing up for more sunny days than stupid rain. Even the farmers are getting bagged by all the rain.

Hope the shift kit works great for you. If things work out & I can come up with an extra $200...it's a new HB rear wheel/62-72 tooth sprocket for climbing any hill I come across.

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hey All
Been outa town back now . Just wanted to say Hi to everybody went for a ride
on Slater first thing . Missed it so much it is the most comfortable ride .
It's pure cruzin pleasure.....And it still shifts flawless. the boxer is getting
a new fork more suited to my ridding style and some suspension mods.
and some brake work also suited to ridding style .not to mention jetting.......
It should be a total canyon blaster when I am done alredy bought a light weight padded ridding suit as busting thru canyons if not protected could cause some very uncomfortable situations ROAD RASH... Flex..

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi Guys
and thanks tERRY JUST A UPDATE on Felt Slater it's running better and better the motor keeps gettig stronger the clutch is seating in it is getting
crazy gas milage compared to morini I am thinking about 100 mi. to 2 liters
It was about 80 mi. befor shift kit and no i havent put the Nu Vinci on yet.
Would love to do a custom frame like culver city classic just keeping my options open and culver city and Dean from pipelyne are giving me some Real insperation Just have to get off my a** and do it . Just need a little break
just completed a huge project for my sister she has a vinyard in clear lake calif.It's called Brassfield Estate Whinnery about 5000 prime acers anyway there building a fancy tasting area and they will beable to have board meetings
banquets what ever anyway had to build a three story steel stair case the only thing that was there was the main side beams no treads or hand rails or ballasters . Had to lay it all out then build it .It wouldnt have been so bad but I have never layed out stairs befor If you have never done it it's twice as hard I was standing in tractot buckets and man lifts to get me up there to weld everything togather . It took me 3 full weeks of ball busting work to
complete it befor there grand opening. This place is beautifull check it out I am sure they have a web site Brassfeild Estate vinyard. or Whinnery.. did enough welding and grinding to last me a life time. The only thing that was cool they flew me home on weekends in there 7 seat Lear Jet had it to my self...Flex Man

Last edited:

Skootch

May 30, 2011
Idaho
Hi Flex or anyone else that knows,

I am building my MB based on the Felt MP and EZM kit. The Felt has the same Nexus 3 speed rear hub as yours, I believe. Could you please share what you had to do to get the EZM to allow shifting with the Nexus? That would be a great help to me. Thanks.

Last edited:

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Just so you all know he is not answering because his wife used his laptop when she went to a convention and left the lap top on the ground forgot about it and drove over it with a car so he is with out a computer.
Terry

Skootch

May 30, 2011
Idaho
Wow, losing a computer is never a good thing. Sorry to hear that. Also sorry for assuming I was being ignored. I will await patiently and hopefully I will find out the secret to shifting the EZM with the Nexus 3 spd coaster rear hub. With all the hills and mountains in my area, having the ability to go to a lower effective gear would be invaluable. Thanks.