Felt slater Q matic New Build

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yes, very nicely done! The Slater is a great bike to motorize and by taking your time you've done a great job on it.....cheers!

Great little engine on a great beach cruiser foundation and jack shafted with gearing.......a very hard combination to beat....period.

Thanks for sharing :)

mike_ric

May 4, 2011
Virginia
Can anybody provide information about the longevity of the QMatic clutch? Of course it totally depends upon riding style, so "mileage may vary." I have a low first gear and always pedal to get the bike going before I ease on the throttle. I'm also very easy with gear changes. What are people's experience with the QMatic regarding mileage before it wears out? Also, I suppose the clutch can be replaced within the assembly, correct? I have no problems whatsoever with the centrifugal clutch now (after about 200 miles), and would be fine replacing it with another QMatic when or if it wears out, but do other options exist for clutch replacement other can going directly to QMatic? Can different (better) clutches be installed within the QMatic assembly? Again, I'm perfectly happy with the QMatic, just want to be prepared for the future. I'll probably get a replacement now that I can drop in when the time comes. Thank you.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
The Q-Matic clutch itself is a Max Torque, they run about $40-50 average and are pretty easy to replace, being identical to go-kart units. As long as you aren't constantly slipping the unit (example: running around at 10-12MPH in top gear) it should last quite a while. My brother bought the first retail Q-Matic about 5 years ago and is still on his original clutch. He uses nearly full throttle on take-off constantly. You having gears, no problems should arise from doing the same.

There are other clutches available (Hilliard, Draggin-Skin) at lower/higher price/quality.

mike_ric

May 4, 2011
Virginia
Hi Aleman, thanks for the information. That makes me relax a little bit! I'm still going to be careful with it, but at least I know it can take a bit of accidental abuse if I start out in second gear and it slips a bit.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Don't be afraid to get on it, the Q-Matic is a quite robust setup and is easy on drive components thanks to the Max Torque clutch.

After you get familiar with knowing when the clutch arrives at full lockup, you'll know when to avoid a constant state of clutch slippage.