European lightweight Motorized Bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
i have seen some very cleaver vehicles for handicapped persons both manual- gas powered- and electrified

thanks for your continued posting ludwig

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Turkish bike with Minarelli engine, it appears to have old forks (possibly Italian Alba) on a modified modern frame.

British Hercules carrier bike with 80cc Levis (say it Lev-iss) engine

James K54 with 98cc Villiers 2 speed

1.5hp Clement Autocycle

1950s Royal Nord velomoteur, Belgium

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Spanish page of Setter bikes
http://www.motos-setter.com/modelos.htm

Pages and pages of Guy Linux site, mostly European cyclemotors
http://guylinux.no-ip.com/dotclear/...-des-bicyclette-a-moteur-auxiliaire/2#gallery

ABG engined bike, France

"Rare Dutch moped from 50's. This model was sold as "Avaros Ideal Servo-matic de Luxe". Avaros company, based in Papendrecht (Holland), was named after its creator, Albert van Rossum. They constructed their own mopeds and they also sold under Avaros name other Nederland and German vehicles. Avaros brand is dated from 1951."

German Künsting bike with Ukrainian Dongó friction driver

Peugeot maintaining the French art from of weirdness

1937 Wul-Gum, 98 Sachs in licence made Phanomen frame

Sod it, here's the whole page:
http://www.zabytkowemotocykleirowery.pl/rowery_z_silnikami/pl

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
1954-50 MAW, 50cc, East Germany

1946 Gnome Rhone duralumin bike with 1952 S.E.B.R. engine, designed by P.P. Roussey, France

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
What are your actual requirements? I can find something that would be a pattern for you.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I first saw one of those things nearly 40 years ago, on a coach trip to Gothenburg for a World Speedway final (won for the fifth of his 6 times by a New Zealand Grandfather).

The bakbrommer solves the problem of which wheel to drive, and gives you a bit more presence on the roads. You can steer them by a big handle and a single pivot point, or properly with pivoting hubs, which is probably safest. Lights not strong enough? Carry a car battery in a bolted down box. There are versions with a screen and roof as well for weather protection, NZ has a "maritime" climate, I believe.

"Maritime". Absolutely chucks it down without warning.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
NZ has a "maritime" climate, I believe.

"Maritime". Absolutely chucks it down without warning.
Oh does it ever! And living not so far away from the coast like I do we get 'chucked down on' on a regular basis.

I already have a conventional tricycle in the form of my electric converted Hercules which is useful for carrying lighter loads and has excellent road presence. The only problem with it is that it really needs a longer wheelbase and a much improved cargo body in order to be a serious cycletruck. Taking a hacksaw and welder to my lovely Hercules is simply not going to happen so now I find myself considering other options.
Thanks for pointing me towards the 'bakbrommer fiets' Ludwig because I hadn't really considered them before :)

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I showed my mate Percy a page of them, he likes the idea because it would be a very good tool for going down to his allotment and things like that, as well as being splendid transport when going around festivals.

He also has a niece living in Holland right now. I wonder how much they go for?