Early 1940's AMF Board track project.

GoldenMotor.com

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I've run into a bit of an issue with my forks. Turns out the neck on my frame is an inch to short to accept the forks. Any one have an idea wear i can get a die to add some more thread to the forks?

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Fork problem solved. I called 3 bike shops a bought extending the threads. First two shops acted like I was speaking Chinese. The third shop's first question was 1-1/8" or 1".
30 bucks later and I was sorted.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Just finished test mounting the forks and bars. I had an inch of thread added to the forks then added a 5/8 inch head spacer to keep the springer as close to the original alignment as possible. Don't mind the mess in the background. I've ben working allot of overtime and just haven't had the time or energy to clean my work area.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Nice curve to the sides of the tank. Takes awhile to even get to that point, doesn't it? Wait till you try to curve the sides and tack it together. Total pain. Nice build!
Pat more like pain in the hand. I pulled a tendon pulling the walls back to a true 90 after tacking the top half together. I had my foot in one side of the tank and pulled like ****. All i have is a grinder a dremel and a harbor freight mig.

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I have total respect for those who try or attempt to make a custom tank. Sportscar Pat tanks or for that mater anything he touches is pure art.

People just don’t realize the effort involved to complete this or much less want to pay for it.

Slowbalt…that is a fine job you are doing…

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
nice job :)

tank making is an art, that many think they can do easily,,,
I am lucky my son-in-law did mine, because it is far beyond my capabilities ;)

Thanks again Vinnie !!! (^)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Very nice job on the tank. I have this ambition to make a copper tank this winter and am wondering if I'm getting in over my head. It wouldn't be the first time. It should bend more easily anyway. Your tank is an inspiration.
SB

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Ok I need a bit of help. I cant figure out how to mount my front drum brake on my monarch front end. when the spring compress the brake arm moves 2 inches back and forth so their seems to be no way to connect it to the forks. Any help would be appreciated.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Ok I need a bit of help. I cant figure out how to mount my front drum brake on my monarch front end. when the spring compress the brake arm moves 2 inches back and forth so their seems to be no way to connect it to the forks. Any help would be appreciated.
I had a used Worksman front wheel with a drum brake on my Worksman "Indian" and the wheel had no hardware for keeping the brake arm deal in place. I just used a stainless steel hose clamp with a bit of elk hide iniside it to protect the paint and clamped the arm to the fork. That brake arm doesn't budge.
SB

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I finally solved the drum brake problem. I noticed that the brace for the drum moved perfectly in line with the rear pivot point of the springer so i made a bracket that lined them both up.
now i start on my next problem. The frame is much longer in the front loop than most bikes. The picture shows the bike with 3 rear mounts. this will never clear the crank. looks like I'll have to weld some mounts unfortunately. I've ben trying not to cut or weld on any of the vintage parts, but it looks like i don't have a choice.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Jul 10, 2010
Washington State
I have a very similar Roadmaster frame and what I did was instead of welding the tube&flat plate motormount to my frame I welded them to muffler clamps. I'm out on the road right now but when I get home I will post some pics.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I finally solved the drum brake problem. I noticed that the brace for the drum moved perfectly in line with the rear pivot point of the springer so i made a bracket that lined them both up.
now i start on my next problem. The frame is much longer in the front loop than most bikes. The picture shows the bike with 3 rear mounts. this will never clear the crank. looks like I'll have to weld some mounts unfortunately. I've ben trying not to cut or weld on any of the vintage parts, but it looks like i don't have a choice.
I'm really lovin' this bike, SlowBalt, and the ingenuity with which it's coming together. I can't wait to see her finished and roadworthy. Of course, you probably feel the same way.