Dax Balanced lower...?

GoldenMotor.com

2Stroken

Jun 3, 2013
Chattanooga TN
There is no 'ifs', fact since 2010 when the Skyhawks were $200 + delivery, they have dropped to $149 delivered and gotten better.
Every other 'new' kit in the US has been on-shore since 2010 as many people bought pallets of them to beat the new EPA deadline restriction on Chinese imports.

You are new here, that's OK, but this is way old news and I for have seen improvements and the prices come down and if you think about it why shouldn't they? Their volume to the US has increased dramatically and even at $50 less a unit most likely still making more money, supply and demand.
Don't look now but, the prices on the Skyhawk just jumped $20.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Don't look now but, the prices on the Skyhawk just jumped $20.
I better quit sharing what I know then. If demand gets higher than what is on hand prices go up so hey, BUY FROM E-BAY!

As for the previous post with all the E-pay posts for direct from China or Hong Kong factory kits, I don't know if it is just China or all of Asia EPA regs, all I know is not a single one of them sport an official 2010 or newer EPA sticker and can therefore be confiscated and destroyed at any time by any port official be it by sea, land or air delivery.

The chances of that happening might be less likely than you getting getting in car crash or colon cancer but more likely than winning the lottery or breaking the bank playing blackjack in Vegas.

So BUY FROM E-BAY AND DISREGARD EVERYTHING I HAVE SAID!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I guess I missed out on the "40mm stroker" info, can someone please explain, I understand what a stroker engine is but I thought all the PK engine had the 40mm con rod length and the Skyhawks have a 38mm con rod, do I have this wrong?

Someone please enlighten me on this......!
Thanks, Map

2Stroken

Jun 3, 2013
Chattanooga TN
I guess I missed out on the "40mm stroker" info, can someone please explain, I understand what a stroker engine is but I thought all the PK engine had the 40mm con rod length and the Skyhawks have a 38mm con rod, do I have this wrong?

Someone please enlighten me on this......!
Thanks, Map
Connecting rod length has nothing to so with stroke. Stroke is measured from center crankshaft to center rod journal. No matter what the length of the connecting rod is, it will have the same stroke on the same crank.

The difference in rod lengths between the GT5 and other engines would be because the piston pin on the GT5 are closer to the rings and the piston pin on other makes are closer to the lower piston skirt. The piston pin being located closer to the bottom will cause the piston to want to whip front to back more.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Connecting rod length has nothing to so with stroke. Stroke is measured from center crankshaft to center rod journal. No matter what the length of the connecting rod is, it will have the same stroke on the same crank.

The difference in rod lengths between the GT5 and other engines would be because the piston pin on the GT5 are closer to the rings and the piston pin on other makes are closer to the lower piston skirt. The piston pin being located closer to the bottom will cause the piston to want to whip front to back more.
Well , from what I have seen multiple times on here in the past is that there is a difference in rod length on some of the engines, I know what increases the stroke on an engine, what my question is and was is what exactly is this " stroker " engine that was spoken about coming out from dax.

Rod length doesnt effect the stroke of the engine but a longer rod with a piston that has the wrist pin higher to accommodate the extra rod length does change and lower the stress level on the rod and make a engine capable of turn higher rpms without it trying to shove the piston as hard against cylinder wall on the up stroke, again very familiar with what stroke is and how it is changed, but my question remains to what the coming dax engine is about and what is different with it.
Thanks for the info anyway.
dnut
Map

2Stroken

Jun 3, 2013
Chattanooga TN
Well , from what I have seen multiple times on here in the past is that there is a difference in rod length on some of the engines, I know what increases the stroke on an engine, what my question is and was is what exactly is this " stroker " engine that was spoken about coming out from dax.

Rod length doesnt effect the stroke of the engine but a longer rod with a piston that has the wrist pin higher to accommodate the extra rod length does change and lower the stress level on the rod and make a engine capable of turn higher rpms without it trying to shove the piston as hard against cylinder wall on the up stroke, again very familiar with what stroke is and how it is changed, but my question remains to what the coming dax engine is about and what is different with it.
Thanks for the info anyway.
dnut
Map
My guess would be they are taking a 49cc upper assembly and installing it on a 66cc bottom end. Which most likely has a longer stroke than the 49cc bottom end.

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
2stroken I dont know the bore x stroke of the 50cc motor but my guess is it would be a smaller bore from the head gaskets that comes with most of them. so if that is what Dax is up to you are saying that most likely hes building a new motor somewhere in between a 50cc and a 66cc. now all that said my 48cc from dax has a bore that is close to or the same size as 66cc motors do I know this because the 50cc gaskets are way to small to fit my 48cc motor I have. now all that being said if I had a mic Id take some measurements and check the stroke and tell you what is up with my dax 50f bottom end. and some day I plan on doing just that when I decide to crack the case open and rebuild the 50f from the bottom end up.

now all my ranting done its simple these hts come from many different companys in china and bore and strokes can very because of it. because of that to me it was no surprise when I put my puch hihi head on my 50cc and had to have 66cc gaskets. I am sure when Dax gets there order in for the 40mm rod lower end that someone will take the necessary measurements bore and stroke so we can all know if it a stroked motor or not.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
2stroken I dont know the bore x stroke of the 50cc motor but my guess is it would be a smaller bore from the head gaskets that comes with most of them. so if that is what Dax is up to you are saying that most likely hes building a new motor somewhere in between a 50cc and a 66cc. now all that said my 48cc from dax has a bore that is close to or the same size as 66cc motors do I know this because the 50cc gaskets are way to small to fit my 48cc motor I have. now all that being said if I had a mic Id take some measurements and check the stroke and tell you what is up with my dax 50f bottom end. and some day I plan on doing just that when I decide to crack the case open and rebuild the 50f from the bottom end up.

now all my ranting done its simple these hts come from many different companys in china and bore and strokes can very because of it. because of that to me it was no surprise when I put my puch hihi head on my 50cc and had to have 66cc gaskets. I am sure when Dax gets there order in for the 40mm rod lower end that someone will take the necessary measurements bore and stroke so we can all know if it a stroked motor or not.
48cc and 66cc both have 38mm strokes, 69cc and 50cc motor has a 40mm stroke (though its hard to tell which ones these are). There exists 55cc (36mm stroke) and 60cc (40mm stroke) motors as well, much rarer, but they run 44mm pistons. Grubee GT5's have a 85mm rod, type D motors (Dax, speed demon, etc.) have an 80mm rod with a piston whose wrist pin is 5mm lower (to compensate for the shorter rod). This saves a tiny bit of weight and reduces centrifugal forces slightly, improving vibrations and power. Ports are also 2mm lower to match up to the piston better, and transfers are aimed more toward the intake side of the jug, increasing power and efficiency (though they're not aimed very well, they did it by shrinking the transfer port, the actual port path is the same). Yes, the newest design of the "type D" motors is quite a bit better than the 2011 GT5 (AND GT5-a) design.

I've been talking with Dax (Type D) and jag (48, 50, 55 and 60cc motors, he has two but they were upgraded in steps) about the motors, thats where I got my numbers (and measured my own 66cc GT5). So yes, dax's motors, especially with the balanced low end, are vastly superior to the GT5's.

Oh, and a side note for those who were hoping: I told Dax people wanted the option to buy just the balanced crank, the response I got was "I'll consider it". So, here's hoping :)

Last edited:

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Wrong, DAX has a 110mm c-rod in combination with 38mm crank makes it similar to a GT-5. I think you should call the dude, here's his PHONE NUMBER USE IT. 1-laff303-459-2780

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
Wrong, DAX has a 110mm c-rod in combination with 38mm crank makes it similar to a GT-5. I think you should call the dude, here's his PHONE NUMBER USE IT. 1-laff303-459-2780
I was talking to him, 110mm is the total rod length, eye to eye (the rod length you use in calculations) is 80mm. 110mm would ram the piston through the head, the head bolts are only 115mm

Type D piston = 45mm without the crown. Wrist pin hole is located 26mm down (GT-5 is 21mm down). So at TDC, you're looking at a total length of 106mm with an 80mm rod, and including the crown, comes just short of the 80mm jug. a 110mm conrod would reach a whopping 28mm (half the piston length) out of the jug.

Last edited:

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
If take a AE50 c-rod and MEASURE it from END TO END you will come up with 4-21/64" which equals 110mm. Then if measure.theO.D. of the flywheel ,dividing that number and half ,you will have found the center of the crankshaft . Next measure the O.D. of crank pin and divide that number in half . from do those two points you should come up with one or two numbers . 38mm for a GT-5 STYLE OR .40mm for a PK-80 STYLE Crankshaft. Either one of these can use a Type A piston . The earlier gt-5 had a 32mm crank that used a AE60 C-ROD that measured 115mm and used a Type B piston . This is why people say old man Grubee did some strange things with his cranks over the years .

Last edited:

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
If take a AE50 c-rod and MEASURE it from END TO END you will come up with 4-21/64" which equals 110mm. Then if measure.theO.D. of the flywheel ,dividing that number and half ,you will have found the center of the crankshaft . Next measure the O.D. of crank pin and divide that number in half . from do those two points you should come up with one or two numbers . 38mm for a GT-5 STYLE OR .40mm for a PK-80 STYLE Crankshaft. Either one of these can use a Type A piston . The earlier gt-5 had a 32mm crank that used a AE60 C-ROD that measured 115mm and used a Type B piston . This is why people say old man Grubee did some strange things with his cranks over the years .
-_- I did measure, alot, I did this to calculate a perfectly balanced crank.

Specs not directly listed (but can be calculated approximates from the image): Conrod = 115mm, eye to eye length = 85mm, stroke = 38mm, the GT5 piston has the wrist pin hole almost exactly 21mm from the top edge, the "Type D" piston as Dax refers to them, is 26mm from the edge. While yes, you're technically right, Dax's conrods are 110mm, thats end-to-end, we never use that number in any calculation for an engine. When you input a number into the conrod length in an online calculator, it's talking about eye-to-eye, not end to end. It's always eye to eye because that's where the forces are focused, which for the Type D is 80mm.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Got the ported upper finished and put on the Dax Balanced Lower today, got the intake on and the head I put on it for now is the Dax slant head that has the improved squish band in the combustion chamber, I have the two Puch heads I bought from k.mah still needing the be drilled to work with the 8mm studs, but since both of them will raise the compression I figured I would get the rings and the bottom end broke in good with the slightly lower compression Dax head first, plus I'm curious to know how it will perform on this engine since the piston has some slight mods to improve intake and exhaust flow and the jug has been really opened up in the transfer ports and some good work done in the intake and exhaust ports.

Engine doesn't look like anything fancy, no paint and no big shiny billet parts, if this engine turns out to be what I want it to be, then I'll ad a little bling to it in time just to make it look as good as it runs, not looking to make this a super hot rod engine, just wanting a slightly higher and smoother top end and hopefully a nice cruise speed of 35+mph with a 30-32T rear sprocket and the grunt to pull either without to much trouble.

Anyway, here are some pics of the Dax lower with the LEB X80 upper.

Map