Dax Balanced lower...?

GoldenMotor.com

2Stroken

Jun 3, 2013
Chattanooga TN
This may be bunk......... but I have this saved in my ebay account page, this ebay store has most of there stuff over priced in my opinion and this crank cost as much with shipping as an entire lower from Duane but I just thought I would share the link.

They claim crank has been disassembled, trued & balanced......Shrug......

If that's true then I'd say $59.99 to the door ain't bad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80cc-66cc-4...547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac62a093b

Map .wee.
I would have to say that this Ebay item is a complete lie. It could possibly be trued but never balanced. Each piston, pin, bearing no matter how accurate are unique in weight. To balance the crank you need all these parts. The piston, pin, and bearing should come with it as a complete balanced set. Furthermore, if this is the actual picture of the crank being purchased there are no balancing holes or machined areas that I can see.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
That dude sunmotors, he full of it. He's a true dropshipper he sells other people's products you buy it from him and he'll have them ship it to you . all he does is take other people's frogs and mark them up and sell them on eBay .he's an eBay thief .

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I would have to say that this Ebay item is a complete lie. It could possibly be trued but never balanced. Each piston, pin, bearing no matter how accurate are unique in weight. To balance the crank you need all these parts. The piston, pin, and bearing should come with it as a complete balanced set. Furthermore, if this is the actual picture of the crank being purchased there are no balancing holes or machined areas that I can see.
I thought the same thing when I was looking at it, no signs of any modifications to the counter weights, may be an OK crank but it does just look stock untouched.

I only posted this for the sake of conversation mainly, I knew it would cause many to call BS on it very quickly.......LOL!

no way I would ever consider paying that for that crank, I'll buy the lowers from Duane or even the entire engines he sells, I know he is an honest fella and I have never had a bad dealing with him, I did buy a chain from hime that was junk one time but I kinda figured it was a crap shoot anyway, cheap china chain, some are good ones and some aint.

map

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Your crank is a typical Grubee crank. It looks just like the one in my new GT5 Skyhawk. Its the same crank that GasBike.net sells for $12.50.
Indeed, the 2012 and newer $150 delivered Skyhawks come with a 1 piece crank.

I have never been a fan of anything but solid metal to metal motor mounting but when using a flat front mount adapter this looks to be something like a real automotive motor mount and may be worth a look.

As the years go by since the 2010 US EPA regs took effect and nothing but newer Skyhawks are allowed imported the differences between the new and always improving engines and the old stuff that has been on shore for years keeps growing bigger as the price difference keeps getting smaller.

2Stroken

Jun 3, 2013
Chattanooga TN
Indeed, the 2012 and newer $150 delivered Skyhawks come with a 1 piece crank.

I have never been a fan of anything but solid metal to metal motor mounting but when using a flat front mount adapter this looks to be something like a real automotive motor mount and may be worth a look.

As the years go by since the 2010 US EPA regs took effect and nothing but newer Skyhawks are allowed imported the differences between the new and always improving engines and the old stuff that has been on shore for years keeps growing bigger as the price difference keeps getting smaller.

If this is really true, it is not a good thing. If the new SkyHawks are the only engine imported they will have total control over the pricing. You will see this kit jump to the $300 range quick. Greed is a human nature. They will kill the motorized bicycle craze quick. From what I have read also is that they don't have permission to import for 2013, and they might not be able to import any more.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
If this is really true, it is not a good thing. If the new SkyHawks are the only engine imported they will have total control over the pricing. You will see this kit jump to the $300 range quick. Greed is a human nature. They will kill the motorized bicycle craze quick. From what I have read also is that they don't have permission to import for 2013, and they might not be able to import any more.
There is no 'ifs', fact since 2010 when the Skyhawks were $200 + delivery, they have dropped to $149 delivered and gotten better.
Every other 'new' kit in the US has been on-shore since 2010 as many people bought pallets of them to beat the new EPA deadline restriction on Chinese imports.

You are new here, that's OK, but this is way old news and I for have seen improvements and the prices come down and if you think about it why shouldn't they? Their volume to the US has increased dramatically and even at $50 less a unit most likely still making more money, supply and demand.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
KC, regarding that "rubber ride cushion" thing. It still relys on common fasteners (studs) to secure it to the frame. That defeats the purpose of a cusioned mount. It is no different from wrapping the frame with a resilient material because the engine mount fasteners are still being subjected to the vibrations and will eventually fail. Another gimmick being marketed to the new builder. Mount the engines solid and live with the inherent vibrations produced by a single cylinder 2 stroke engine.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I may be mistaken but it seems I've seen some new sellers pop up since then and some different kits also, not trying to argue any point here I just figured that seller like BGF and others are still bringing there kits in as always.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I gots a bridge to sell you if you believe that. laff
The reason for the question is that I have a hard time believing that all kits here accept for the Skyhawk kits have been in the States since 2010..... I wonder how long Duane has had all his kits and I know it was within the last couple of years when Pirate started selling the old original PK-80 kits that have the longer crooked clutch actuator arm.
I dont claim to be up on everything or have any solid proof but that all smells a bit like...... B... ...., well the nice thing to say would be fishy......!

And by the way, if we had any water left in Texas I might be interested in that Bridge.......lol!laff

Map

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
KC, regarding that "rubber ride cushion" thing. It still relys on common fasteners (studs) to secure it to the frame. That defeats the purpose of a cusioned mount. It is no different from wrapping the frame with a resilient material because the engine mount fasteners are still being subjected to the vibrations and will eventually fail. Another gimmick being marketed to the new builder. Mount the engines solid and live with the inherent vibrations produced by a single cylinder 2 stroke engine.

Tom
so just buy a good Dax kit solid mount it and enjoy very little vibration. lafflaff That said I noticed even on my sons bike with the BGF when I went back and nut and bolted his bike it had less vibration but still a lot more then either of my Dax's Ive had

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
so just buy a good Dax kit solid mount it and enjoy very little vibration. lafflaff That said I noticed even on my sons bike with the BGF when I went back and nut and bolted his bike it had less vibration but still a lot more then either of my Dax's Ive had
Cant wait to get started on my next build with the dax lower and the better looking slant head I got from Dax got my jug ported pretty nice I'll post some pics when I get the chance, not sure what im gonna do for bigger carb yet though, I've got a can full of NT carbs a new older style cns new in the box and a Dax RT carb on one of my bikes that I really like but I want something that will meter more air and fuel, I'd like to have a 45mph bike when I'm done with my next one and Im not sure I can get there without a bigger carb than the RT or the NT carb.

Any experienced thoughts on my best options is extremely welcome here.......!
dnut

Map

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The reason for the question is that I have a hard time believing that all kits here accept for the Skyhawk kits have been in the States since 2010..... I wonder how long Duane has had all his kits and I know it was within the last couple of years when Pirate started selling the old original PK-80 kits that have the longer crooked clutch actuator arm.
I dont claim to be up on everything or have any solid proof but that all smells a bit like...... B... ...., well the nice thing to say would be fishy......!
Map
Feel free to look it up yourself but since the 2010 EPA regs took effect it requires a 40CFR-1051 certification to legally import a Chinese 2-stroke bicycle/moped engine and the factory can no longer do this themselves, there must be a US distributor responsible to the EPA for the engine kit they sell and only 48 and 66cc Skyhawks have that.
In short you will not see a single engine kit with an EPA sticker on it newer than 2009 unless it says Skyhawk on it but then again many have no sticker or mfg date at all.

I am no tree huger and most of the regs are BS like a better cat pipe and carb and I'm sure there are 2-stroke engines that still hit the shore under the 2 cycle bicycle engines EPA certified as lawn mower replacement engines which only requires a simple Class 90 EPA certification.

And it is just plain silly to think you can order 1 motor kit and have it shipped direct to your door from the Chinese factory, you may be able to order it from a Chinese web site but you can bet you butt it is already on shore as shipping is so expensive it would cost you $150 in shipping for 1 box, you have to buy at a least pallet full if not a container to make it worth the cost and most Chinese manufactures of anything ship entire cargo ships full of containers of products at a time and I wouldn't be surprised if Walmart even had their own cargo ships for that too.

Again, just facts and beside the point as we tend to put on aftermarket parts that would make the EPA cry but the EPA doesn't have environment cops pulling you over, well except maybe in California ;-}

What the EPA does have is Customs officials that will destroy entire loads of products at the port if they are illegal but that has nothing to with shipping inside the US as Customs is not involved with domestic shipping

The important thing to me is not how green it is but when the motor was made and what improvements may have been made if any and I find comfort buying an engine that was made less than year ago every time.

Is EVERY motor kit for sale in the US made before 2009? Probably not but the majority were or the buyer took a pretty big risk importing them.

Again the point was that legally nothing but Skyhawk has been legal to import since 2010 so whatever else you buy is a crap shoot. That doesn't make it bad, maybe even better, the point is why take the risk of 'crap in a box' for about the same price you know is actually up to date new?
I don't, but it's your money, I'm just a happy camper who's kits go on nice and fire right up every time and I build a lot of bikes.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have pics up of my jug porting in the Head and Cylinder section titled (Got cyl/jug ported pretty good for my Dax Lower)

any of you guys with experience at this on these engines please look and let me know what you think of what I have done so far, pics make ports looks much rougher than they actually are, only polished exhaust port to a very smooth high shine.

Peace, Map