Dax Balanced lower...?

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Got the Dax balanced engine completed and mounted on my Kulana Cruiser after I took the other engine off this evening.

Well, I can sum it all up and make it very simple.

Excellent......!

Strapped on my ultra bright Bike LED headlight and took bike on a late night 12+mile cruise on the pitch dark back roads out here in the boonies where I live, 3 miles of dirt road until I hit pavement on FM1467 then about 4 more miles at close to WOT the entire time, mostly just under WOT, running it on 80:1 Opti2 with one cap full of Maxima 927 Castor in the full 2 liter tank, as you will be able to see by the pics, I have a simple home built hi flow through extremely.... loud exhaust on it for now, just a simple well tuned NT carb, it does have the improved squish band Dax slant head on it which seems to be just the standard stock PK-80 compression, engine kicks over real easy like a stock compression engine, as I have posted before, the jug has very good amount of porting and the piston has mods to skirt and the dome.

This engine screams and does it comfortably, the other six engines I've got and had don't hold a candle to this one in the lack of vibes department, it has a comfortable amount of what I would call low frequency vibes that do not get out of control even at High Revs, Duane hit it out of the park with this engine lower no doubt.

I will not be buying anymore kits for my personal bike from anyone else from here on out based on the current results I'm seeing with this balance Dax lower.

Don't get me wrong here I aint hating on no body or any other kits, but I have had the rest and now I feel I have the best, time will tell about how the engine holds up but it is a smooth running little Jesse and I cant imagine now not using this lower as the base for all of my personal builds from here on out, the Dax balanced lower or the kit either one is worth every last penny IMHO.

Once I get the puch head, expansion pipe and larger tuned carb on the bike I can see it really coming alive, compression is not increased as far as I can tell with the dax slant head but shaving a few .001 ths off of it may bring on some nice improvements in lower end power and also be noticed on the top end, I'm gonna be experimenting with the Puch 50cc hi hi compression head, have read where some people had issues with the piston contacting the head so I'll see how that goes once the engine is broken in and I start the mods.

Below are some pics, one is just showing the 34T king's sales & service rear sprocket and the other is bike with old engine on it which runs really well also and then pic of what the Dax engine currently looks like after the quick install this evening.

If your in to a bunch of glamor shots you wont find that with my bikes, they see rough nasty roads and are used in a harsh environment, so they stay dusty dirty and look like they come form the country like me...LOL!

Once you go balanced Dax you wont go Bax...!

Peace, Map

Attachments

Last edited:

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
you feel the exact same way I do about that engine all HTs should run the way it does IMHO and as far as what its worth it is worth more then Duane is asking for it ( but dont go up on the price or poor fokes like me will be in trouble ). as soon as his new shipment comes in Im ordering another one and going to port it for my reeds as well as run a clone Jag on it. Im looking forward to see how its going to preform on my old Schwinn should be a blast.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
you feel the exact same way I do about that engine all HTs should run the way it does IMHO and as far as what its worth it is worth more then Duane is asking for it ( but dont go up on the price or poor fokes like me will be in trouble ). as soon as his new shipment comes in Im ordering another one and going to port it for my reeds as well as run a clone Jag on it. Im looking forward to see how its going to preform on my old Schwinn should be a blast.
Yep I agree, makes no since why the makers of these engines dont take the time to make them better balanced so they run like the dax engines, I know they would like;y have to charge a bit more for them but it would be worth a little more.

yes I agree, Duane is doing a great job on these engines and a great service by keeping the cost affordable, all I can tell anyone is that if you have a china girl that runs good but has the serious vibe issue that numbs the hands and the south end of the north bound motorbiker, buy a dax lower, pull the upper off the engine you have if it's compatible and not the grubee skyhawk gt5 or whatever that engine is that has the different jug and piston, pop the good upper you have on the dax lower, and get ready to be amazed at how much smoother it is.... only got less than 20 miles on mine and I just cant say enough about it.... hope we have this great engine as an option for a long time to come, Duane is gonna make a killing on these as more and more people find out just how much smoother they are, they may not be a smooth as the Fred engines...shrug, I dont know since I never had one and probably wont ever due to the extrememly high price tag in my opinion, which is fine if someone has that kind of money to throw around and thats what they want.

I feel like the dax engine with the mods I plan on top of what I already have in it will suite me just fine and give me a higher cruise speed than I'm used to and just make my bike much more enjoyable to ride, I may end up with a shift kit behind this engine as well, plenty of room for it on the Kulana 7 speed cruiser.... Happy Happy Happy....!

Map
reddd

Why did I wait so long to order this lower is all I am asking myself...!

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
Not just that but the power of just a stock balanced bottom end and new top blew mine mind my son had a bgf 66cc ( that he sold right before I sold mine ) he weighs about 120 I weigh over 260 and my bike out weighted his by about 10lbs but the brand new dax engine would pull me harder then his broke in motor ( about 450 mi ) would pull his butt the first time he took my bike around the block it almost got away from him because he thought it would have less power then his lol.

now granted all that said mine also had the voodoo pipe dax rt carb on it ( running way rich by the way ) and a puch 50cc hihi head on it but it was still a no mile motor lol. the guy that got it from me had to ride about 15 mi or so home and when he called me a few days later he was all praise about my build lol and last I heard is rideing it about 25 mi aday now lol

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Just curious since you have done the Puch 50cc hi hi head, did you have to make any changes to prevent the piston from contacting the head? or did it work out Ok with the stock thickness head gasket.

I've read some people said they head issues with that....

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
I used 2 head gaskets because when I first used the head on my 50cc dax motor I had to so I never tried it with just one. the only other thing was I checked the tq on the head every 2 or 3 times I ran it most times 2 out of the 4 nuts would turn about 1/16 to 1/8th of a turn before my tq wrench said they were right tq.

I belive that some better nuts would salve that problem I was runing the stock acorn nuts that came with the top end.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I used 2 head gaskets because when I first used the head on my 50cc dax motor I had to so I never tried it with just one. the only other thing was I checked the tq on the head every 2 or 3 times I ran it most times 2 out of the 4 nuts would turn about 1/16 to 1/8th of a turn before my tq wrench said they were right tq.

I belive that some better nuts would salve that problem I was runing the stock acorn nuts that came with the top end.
Thank you sir, I will try the single gasket and just easily see if the engine will spin without piston contacting head and if it doe then I'll also go with the extra gasket to see how that works out, may need the extra gasket so that the compression isn't to high also.

I double nut and loctite everything on these engines where it's possible, the dax engine I just built has flange head nuts first and then stainless steel acorn nuts I ordered from MacMaster Carr tightened down on the other nuts after they were torqued.

Thanks again for the advice S.D.L.

Map

jgf

Dec 27, 2009
tan van,california
since this thread is everywhere anyways, if you never tried Redline 2 stroke oil, try it. ive never actually had oil make my bike faster, but Redline is some slick stuff! it went faster with Redline!

im going to hit up DAX to get my first 2 stroke motorized bicycle kit. i just hope i can get a good crank and he has them in stock! if not, does anyone have any other sort of suggestions??? i guess otherwise its got to be Grubee... any dealer i should go to for it or other kit i should seek out if i cant find a good price to performance ratio with what Dax has to offer for me? (im pretty broke or else i would be going for a 4 stroke Honda kit)

thanks for any suggestions!!!

the Redline was run in my dirt bikes, i also ran 927 castor oil, which by the way separates from the gas at 32 degrees, which is important to note if you run it! Mitch Payton of Pro Circuit always ran 927... and nobody made faster 2 strokes than him... RIP 2 stroke motocross!!

oh, and dont mix castor with conventional oil. just like dont mix synthetic with regular. and dont break bikes in on synthetic.

oh and another thing... carbs with tornado causing patterns etched in them... ohhhhh thats some secret performance stuff!! so now you know! i forget what its called, but, it makes the air whirlwind through and it can flow more! for all those racers out there... good luck

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
oh, and dont mix castor with conventional oil. just like dont mix synthetic with regular. and dont break bikes in on synthetic.

oh and another thing... carbs with tornado causing patterns etched in them... ohhhhh thats some secret performance stuff!! so now you know! i forget what its called, but, it makes the air whirlwind through and it can flow more! for all those racers out there... good luck
I dont know about the mixing of oils but Ive broke in 3 engines so far all with synthetic with no problems so I see no problem there. The tornado thing that they use to sell is a joke does not work and can not work. as far as oil makeing a engine faster as much as I hate to say it the right oil can but these engines dont make enough power to ever notice it if it did.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I break mine in on what I'm gonna run in it, always hqve and it works out fine.

People have claimed to see a couple mph increase when switching from like a 32:1 conventional oil to say 100:1 Opti2 mix, I've never run those oil rich mixes in mine so I cant actually vouch for that but I can see how it could be just because the mix will burn quicker and cleaner which should produce more power.

Map

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"Don't mix Castor with conventional oil" ???????????????

You're gonna get a lot of argument about that. I can assure you. I'll be the first. Been doing it for many years starting in the late 50s in gocart engines up today with my bike 2strokes. Never had a problem.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Never had any problem mixing castor with conventional in over 40 years of playing with two strokes of all sizes.
I love the smell of castor oil in the morning....
Smells like Victory!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
since this thread is everywhere anyways, if you never tried Redline 2 stroke oil, try it. ive never actually had oil make my bike faster, but Redline is some slick stuff! it went faster with Redline!

im going to hit up DAX to get my first 2 stroke motorized bicycle kit. i just hope i can get a good crank and he has them in stock! if not, does anyone have any other sort of suggestions??? i guess otherwise its got to be Grubee... any dealer i should go to for it or other kit i should seek out if i cant find a good price to performance ratio with what Dax has to offer for me? (im pretty broke or else i would be going for a 4 stroke Honda kit)

thanks for any suggestions!!!

the Redline was run in my dirt bikes, i also ran 927 castor oil, which by the way separates from the gas at 32 degrees, which is important to note if you run it! Mitch Payton of Pro Circuit always ran 927... and nobody made faster 2 strokes than him... RIP 2 stroke motocross!!

Dont know where you got that information about not mixing castor with dino oil, but I can assure you that it's bunk.....

Don't mix synthetic with dino..... again bunk.....

Every Semi synthetic oil on the market that I know of is a mix of conventional oil and synthetic, I run either full synthetic or semi synthetic in everything I own.

Several people I know that have nitro pwered rc palnes and cers run Redline and add a wee bit of castor for the extra protection of the castor.

Not trying to be rude and crude with this post but facts are facts and decades of experience trumps wild ideas.
Peace, map

reddd

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Please explain Ricky and Lucy to me they were a good Cuban mix . My Freinds call me Fidel Castro . LMAO dance1 And I do the "VOOOORROOMMBBAA"

Last edited:

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Still tuning it. It's still building power with tuning . Can't believe it is running lean what is .72 jet . WOW Break out the .74 jet in the morning. brnot

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Chatted with Duane the other day, super nice fellow...ordered my balanced lower and also ordered the upper and hi compression head. Currently on vacation and this should he waiting for me when I get back :)
Can't what to try one on, although I'll port it first and whatever else it needs before the install.
Dan.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Chatted with Duane the other day, super nice fellow...ordered my balanced lower and also ordered the upper and hi compression head. Currently on vacation and this should he waiting for me when I get back :)
Can't what to try one on, although I'll port it first and whatever else it needs before the install.
Dan.
Congrats Dan, welcome to the GP360 Dax balanced lower club.... I ordered another one a couple days ago myself....

With a well tuned carb and good breathing exhaust you will see 40mph or + cruise speed with a 34 or 36T rear sprocket if your ends up running like mine does, and that is a comfortable cruise speed, not one that feels like the seat is gonna rip your prostate out and rattle your finger nails off....LOL!

I think Huffydavidson said it first but I will quote him here and say it again.

"Once you go Dax, you wont go Bax..!!"

I'm replacing all of mine with the Dax lowers as I can sneak them in under the wifes radar..dance1 one going now, another in the mail and maybe another in a couple weeks if he still has some left, the vibrations have always been one of the biggest draw backs for comfort and top cruise speeds and Duane has hit that nail right on the head with his balance crank lowers, I know that the lowers could probably be even better with a bit more time spent on them but he is doing an excellent job for the money no doubt and I figure on having 5-6 at least time I'm done, maybe a couple more.

Dan you will be pleasantly surprised when you get it up and going, I've only got just under 60 miles on mine and it is running great, I started off on Opti2 at the recommended mix ratio that on the packets I buy 1.6oz Opti2 per gallon of gasoline which is 80:1 mix, it just keeps running a little better every time I take it out, I'll be putting an RT carb on it in a week or so if all goes according to plan and I still have to find the time at some point to get my expansion chamber exhaust built for it, it's gonna be a sweet ride when I get everything I have planned done.

Peace, Map
reddd

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Hey Map , DAX RIGHT ,DAX RIGHT , YOU'LL NEVER GO BAX RIGHT , DAX RIGHT ..!!!!!!....
I hereby nominate MAP BIKE to be this year's preside of the

DAX 360

CLUB.
All in favor say aye . And ayevs have it .
President Map , OMG I didn't see this coming .

LMAO laff

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Noob here, I have read this entire thread. What I can tell is that only the Skyhawk is a new motor. Post 2010 because of the EPA regs. That said, I noticed a vendor here selling "Stinger Motors". They advertise EPA cert.

From their site:

Authentic EPA Approved Catalytic Converter Exhaust Pipe
Keep in Mind that to be EPA approved your engine needs to have a stamp or marking on it stating the date it was manufactured and the EPA approval number which ours has. Other engines that advertise being EPA approved that don't have this are NOT EPA APPROVED. Remember that it is illegal to ship or use a NON EPA Approved engine in California and is the end consumers (your) responsibility. Save yourself the fines by making sure that it is EPA approved not by just trusting what other sellers say. Remember that these sellers are importing engines into the country illegally and have no reguard for our environment and well being. They are just trying to make a quick buck as not epa approved engines are typically $15-$35 cheaper.

Does this then mean that the Stinger is a rebadged Skyhawk. Or is this just BS?

Oh so much to learn about this Hobby. Fascinating...

Thanks

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hey Map , DAX RIGHT ,DAX RIGHT , YOU'LL NEVER GO BAX RIGHT , DAX RIGHT ..!!!!!!....
I hereby nominate MAP BIKE to be this year's preside of the

DAX 360

CLUB.
All in favor say aye . And ayevs have it .
President Map , OMG I didn't see this coming .

LMAO laff
You got me laughing now........!!!!
laff

I think you should get the honor of that position Huffy D, after all you invented the phrase about going Dax and not going Bax, which by the way I got a big kick out of, that why I have quoted you on it several times.

I know all this conversation about he Dax engines may seem over the top to some people, but I can honestly say that the balanced lowers at an affordable cost is something myself and many others have hoped for since we got our first china girl build up and running, I have bragged in the past on what I had and thought they were about as good as any as far as how they ran with the exception of the master builders engines that had been heavily modified and had there cranks balance, but now with these balanced crank lowers I have realized that what I had wasn't nearly as good as I was wanting to settle for, but I wasn't going to put several hundred dollars into a china girl and Im very thankful that now I dont have to, Duane has made the best move forward that I have seen since getting into this great hobby, he has offerd us a great service by selling these balanced lowers, I now have gone from a 32mph comfortable cruise speed on my Kulana cruiser to a comfortable 40+mph cruise speed, Nt carb, no expansion pipe just a free flowing very loud home built exhaust for now, some good port work on my jug and a little grinding on the piston to chnge port timing.
And all of this with low comfortable vibes....... I was cruising over 40mph before I had 20 miles on my engine, it ran that good.... happy happy happy is all I can say about it.

GIving my BGF lowers the AXE and replacing them with a Dax...!

Peace, Map
reddd

Last edited: