Bike builders that have machine tools/shops

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I have no clue what it costs to fund a campaign at the Tour de France. But that video just blew me away.
Micro everything. As the build started, my obsolete mind took time to grasp all the weight reduction components. Micro hydraulic brakes. Electric servo derailleurs'. Lots of light weight TFE grease.
Not sure of the fluid injected into the (sew ups).
You could likely, setting on that bike fart and start rolling.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I have no clue what it costs to fund a campaign at the Tour de France. But that video just blew me away.
Micro everything. As the build started, my obsolete mind took time to grasp all the weight reduction components. Micro hydraulic brakes. Electric servo derailleurs'. Lots of light weight TFE grease.
Not sure of the fluid injected into the (sew ups).
You could likely, setting on that bike fart and start rolling.
I had the feeling that many of the parts were trying to float off the work surface. So displacing wind or a slight sneeze would send pieces flying.

Rick C.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
It is embarrassing to find that my grandfathers did not know how to properly sharpen a scythe. Which means I am in the same condition. I had recently become aware of the utility of peening the cutting edge of a scythe blade, but not why exactly. My thought was it was to thin and refine the cutting edge to improve cutting efficiency. But there is more to it. It is all about packing/work hardening the cutting edge to make it more resistant to wear.
Peening & Sharpening European Scythe Blades - Scythe Supply

Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I do too Rick. My fathers father would hand me his scyrhe hoping I had more steam than brains to mow Canada Thistles in the pasture. Half acre for a lad of ten made a man out of me. By the time i was 14, I knew enough to hitch up the sickle bar mower to his old Allis.

I have a brush blade to complement my motly assortment grass blades.
That 3 piece peening kit is a winner.

Tom

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I do something similar to a Hooke machete made out of British steel...when I'm in the jungle.illI've cut through a "6 limb of iron wood with it... I'll carry 2 if I'm going through bamboo and wild ginger to switch between the two so the blades don't get too hot and break a piece off the end... I'll sharpen one 1/2 sharp on one side and another fully sharpened and use them like hedge trimmers

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Latest shop stuff is I have no room for the stuff I have and I keep adding more tools. The latest are for electrical work. They are stored in the shop but are employed at the kitchen table. I really need to build another roller table for a work surface and also move three or four bikes somewhere else.

At least I have a kitchen table to use and a cardboard box to contain the new stuff and another to hold connectors, varoius rolls of color coded wires in many gauges. Solder, pins and clips of varieties and shink tubing. Building batteries is next I suppose and that uses a whole nuther batch of components and supplies and more boxes, clear totes as an upgrade to cardboard?

Spot welder is next tool purchase for this phase of tool purchasing. It's not like I am not working on gas engines too so I'm using my old tools as well.

This hobby has become rather expensive as hobbies of all types often do. I will of course discover space which can be better utilized and organized; Eureka! Problem is me.

Rick C.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
New side gig, wouldn't mind it being steady. Couple weeks ago leaving the beer store I spotted a folding knife on the ground. It came home with me. Cheap Chinese folder with a nickel stuck in the pocket clasp.
Somebody a lot poorer than me had it for a daily and it was of no use to me as I got way better.
So I kept the nickel and put a true edge on the blade. Next day I took the knife back to the beer store and told the clerk to but it by the counter so that the owner could reclaim it. I told her I kept the nickel for putting a fresh edge on the blade. The clerk gets all revved up, wants to know if I will sharpen her knifes?

Does a bear sh!t in the woods and wipe it;s a$$ with a fuzzy bunny rabbit?

So two weeks in a row, I have given an afternoon to truing bevels and edges. First batch of six, had a French knife that may have struck a steel fence post. Used a brass hammer to flatten and true the kinked edge. Same for the tip of a six inch utility knife.
This week she cleaned out her kitchen. Biggest PITA was a three pound cleaver. The unground surfaces had hot roll scale! Freakin ugly :eek: The back was file soft and the edge glass hard . Sharp enough now to shave my hairy back side if I was inclined to do so.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Sharpening a knife takes time to learn, I had a summer job when I was 15-16 at a local carpet store, I used a 4” hawk bill knife to trim and learned quickly that it takes a very sharp knife. We did the old courthouse in Newnan which has way too many stairs, I got pretty good at keeping my knife sharp.