Bike builders that have machine tools/shops

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
A while back i stated my 4 jaw chuck had two adjustment screws, picked up some 24 x 12 x 12 tires at swap meet, and had to widen some rims. So dug out that heavy thing, put a shaft in the lathe along with steady rest and cut 4 rims to make 2, for up coming project that will work on in cold/rainy weather. Will be my future snow blower reverse tractor.

All powder coated and waiting on tubes. Have a nice Case 224, with no motor for the project.

So how is Mona doing? ...........Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
LOL ! got the tires for $10 each at swap meet, been planing this for a long time. Case 224 garden tractor, going to turn it around so the drivers are up front for traction. Easy to do because its a hydraulic drive, goes the same speed either way, already have a 48" 2 stage blower from a Bolens, twin Onan motor, just got to do it..........Curt

Not this one but one like it

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
So how is Mona doing? ...........Curt[/QUOTE]

Thanks for asking Curt,
Mona is doing better relatively.
#2 son brought her home last Saturday, her girl friend Judy from south of the border came and stayed with Mona this week, taking Mona to her radiation treatments. I'm off work Friday so I get to take her to Milwaukee for tests and consultation with her Doc and then to Oconomowoc for another zap. Sunday one more zap and then the medicos will analyze the effectiveness of the treatment. I will tell you this, Mona has been unfailingly upbeat which makes it better for me and I think it also makes Mona's tribulations more bearable for her as well. And there is another Chemo drug that she has not used yet, seeing the Doc Friday starts that regimen.
I got to ask Curt, why two keys in a four jaw chuck?
Tom

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Its a combo, the big one is like 3 jaw all 4 move at once, makes set a little fast. Then of coarse the individual jaw has it own. Little big for the lathe, but fits, we had a really hot humid day this spring, and even in the shop everything got rusty........Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
LOL. Ya, it all come with the lathe, seems everything worn, but does what little i do, and not bad. This lathe sat for many years, my friend passed on at early age, and his wife saved it for the son. But he grew up and after school, had no interest so sold it to me. Friends younger brother used to paint cars and such, in the garage, so you can emagen the goo that was on it. Have 2, 3 jaw chucks also. ..............Curt

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
Its a combo, the big one is like 3 jaw all 4 move at once, makes set a little fast. Then of coarse the individual jaw has it own. Little big for the lathe, but fits, we had a really hot humid day this spring, and even in the shop everything got rusty........Curt
Tom, nice to hear that Mona is getting along good the support really helps in a crisis.
Dennis

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Another vacation day but no shop time.
Took Mona to St. Luke's in Milwaukee first for a blood draw to analyze the current treatment. Which not stating statistical values was proclaimed positive. Then a trip to Oconomowoc for another rad. zap. The Doc in Milwaukee told us at present Mona's response to treatment will not require further radiation treatment. Just having personal time with her is all good. When we got home I started cooking a Chicken Marsala with garlic mashed potatoes and a steamed vegetable medley.
We are surviving a day at a time and I am so grateful that Mona copes with this well, but we still have adjustments we need to make to make her a survivor. Mona is part Chippewa, so sweet grass smoke is good medicine.
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Mona had her final radiation treatment Nov 20, a Sunday.
Thanksgiving day I had a nice meal planned for us that never happened as her throat was too raw to eat solid food and liquid food was only slightly better. The next day Mona had an appointment to monitor her blood values which were where they were supposed to be. I told the Doctor who difficult it was for Mona to eat and she was prescribed a cocktail with Lidocaine in it to take before meals to lessen the discomfort. Lessen is what it does.
And as the only activity in the machineshop at present is splitting kindling for the wood stove. Some entertainment.
Tom

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
Ordered one of these chain-tensioners just to try out and it looks promising. A fella couldn't buy the parts and fabricate this
for the price! The picture shows it in use tightening the slack in a chain from the bottom, I went ahead and reversed it so
it was tensioning was on the top chain. Usually, the chain tensioners are taking slack out from the bottom of the chain.
Any input on this from you guys? I am sending a link and price on this thing on Ebay.
Dennis
chain-tensioner.jpg

Link

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
From my experience it’s not for the top chain run as you said, it is to reduce the slack created by engine torque tightening the top run of chain. It will take a strong piece to withstand the pressure.
I don't know, I've seen several builds with it on top and I am curious about the configuration. Here is a fella that has a build
that is interesting and his frame is a SOLID ONE! ;) YouTube Video

I might see if there is a way to mount it like that. Thanks for the reply!
Dennis

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Yes Greg I've mounted both ways, and the bottom (return side) is far superior. Top mount puts extreme pressure on both the chain & tensioner. The tensioner that bolts on the chain stay (as many do) can twist under pressure into the spokes. OOwch! So why did I mount mine on the power side (top) rather than the return side? Just an attempt to keep the chain from rubbing/slapping the tire with power off...power on it just cleared, power off it rubbed. I eventually went to narrower tire and put the tensioner where it works best,,,but I've also seen nice bikes with the tensioner up top...hope they didn't later regret it or blame chain breaks on poor chain quality.

Rick C.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Nice tensioner Dennis, and you are right about price.
My vote is to mount on supply side.

Years ago I saw a California Highway Patrol newsreel from the early 50's that I wish I could find, but his one is pretty good. The one I remember had EL's in it.
Tom

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
Dennis
That has suspension on the rear, can't be solid. When you put torque to it the top chain gets like a bow string, really tight. Would almost think it would bend or brake, otherwise......Curt
I mounted it once like that and I think you guys are right since the chain will tighten more so against the spring and idler.
Then, looking at it if mounting it like it should might take some fabrication on it to get it right.
Dennis
Yes Greg I've mounted both ways, and the bottom (return side) is far superior. Top mount puts extreme pressure on both the chain & tensioner. The tensioner that bolts on the chain stay (as many do) can twist under pressure into the spokes. OOwch! So why did I mount mine on the power side (top) rather than the return side? Just an attempt to keep the chain from rubbing/slapping the tire with power off...power on it just cleared, power off it rubbed. I eventually went to narrower tire and put the tensioner where it works best,,,but I've also seen nice bikes with the tensioner up top...hope they didn't later regret it or blame chain breaks on poor chain quality.

Rick C.
Yes, Rick I checked the chain tension and it takes more spring tension but then when power is taken off the engine
the bottom of the chain will want to flop around, bad for wear on it and the sprockets plus on alignment of the chain.
Dennis