Big Black Jack

GoldenMotor.com

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I figured with the engraving it fits the time period and I've seen some pretty fancy engraved carbide lamps for that time, I also thought that by painting the smooth surface and leaving the engraving silver would add a nice touch.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Just thinking... maybe a speedometer dummy... just the upper part. Can the metal be soldered? You could cut a disc of ruby stained glass or a stained glass shop could do it for you and end up with a perfect circle... then get a bit of copper foil for wrapping the edges and solder it to the opening. It would light up red when you had the light on. Cool.
Or... you could find something slightly domed to cover the hole and then make a smaller opening in the center to solder in a ruby stained glass "jewel" of beveled, faceted glass. Very pretty and would light up when the headlight was on. A stained glass shop would have what you need or google Whitmore Durgin.
SB

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I thought you might leave the base attached as the lower section of a heat vent (like your antique Solar lamp has)...?

The angle wasn’t quite right, but it did have a good look...

-Kirk

Edit, mock up attached:

Attachments

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Mr. B I like the tube for a mount, right now I'm playing with a reflector mount that is pretty thick and will hold up to road vibration plus it will bolt up to the fork strut bolt and back of light, if I could get a Delta battery pack I'd run either aluminum or copper tubing for the elec. wiring but then again I know where to get a 1918 Brass Thermos brand bottle that would look like a carbide tank over the cross bar on the handle bars.
I actually tried the flew cover from a solar light but like you said the angle is wrong and looks more like a helmet.
Silverbear you are throwing my brain into over time with Ideas and actually my Mother shot the very same Idea at me with the red crystal side globes.
Keep throwing the Ideas out there I'm Open to all suggestions.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Still trying to find a light that will fit into the cup, but while we wait on progress reports I'll share some more pic's of old Shaws.
Now that I have not worked the last week I've had to chase my roof down the street due to 85mph winds, chase down the Ins Appraiser, chase down contractors for replacement of the roof, chase down more $$ for re appraisal of our car port roof which was also damaged by the high wind, Man! my legs are tired (LOL!) then next week I start work on another house.
This is taking longer then I want to build this bike Everything is there for the build but time.

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Still working on the engine, got a little time in to get the Allen bolts for the high comp CR Machine Head, cleaned up the remaining flashing in the exchange ports and port matched another intake tube after discovering the first one had a crack in it.

Hopefully! the work replacing the roof on my house (starting tomorrow) won't interrupt any progression on the bike, still got a few little details to get straight on the bike.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Actually I was thinking that my Buddy Velodrome might want help build one, I wonder who would get the throttle?? LOL! Ha! Ha!

Trying to get this engine together for the Jack, my plate has been fuller then a Thanks Giving Dinner take home plate,You know the one Mom makes for you that's supposed to feed you until Christmas (LOL!) one thing after another & another & another.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif

Attachments

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK