Big Black Jack

GoldenMotor.com

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
got the off set intake manifold tube from Xseler today so tomorrow I can get started porting it and bolt it up, next is pre fit with exhaust.

Thanks! again Xseler

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Ok ! here is the intake manifold tube the Xseler sent me I have Ported it, Sanded, Polished, Painted and Installed onto the engine along with mounting the Dax RT High Performance Carb ( Dellorto Clone ) test fitted a small custom made expansion chamber ( Dan and I Made ) and finally altered an Allen wrench to install the intake tube needed it any way.
What a difference this intake tube has and will make on this engine.

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Just so everyone knows this is not a modified stock exhaust pipe we used parts from a pair of rams horn (10 spd) handle bars and a 4" diameter center bar from a BMX bike and there is no baffle in side of it, the bracket mounted on the back side of the pipe will mount to the outside of front motor mount if we don't get the expected performance out of it then we will be switching to something similar to what is on the Redskin.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Small and relatively simple in design and function but a little time consuming because it has to be precise and then I'm making it so the every detail is not over looked.

What am I talking about ? well take a look at the clutch roller wheel, this takes a lot of pressure of the lever and pressure tested on the Redskin was 4lbs of pull compared to about 8lbs on a regular set up notice the torque pull stop in front of the roller, that prevents the roller from moving out of postion when the cable is being pulled to dis-engage the clutch.

I still have to fabricate the cable stop arm ( reference "Blood Thursty" )and was thinking about using a vintage chrome rear hub brake arm for that.
A closet/screen door roller was used to fabricate the clutch roller cost about $1.50-$2.oo Home Depot, Lowes or local hardware store.

This little system saves the cable from a lot of internal grinding on the cable itself and cable housing, slows the process of stretching the cable from too many angles and pitches being brought into the lay out of the previous design and because it rolls through the pulley wheel the cable basically stays in a straight line running form both points of connection .

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
OK a little progress today with the Clutch Roller Wheel and Cable Stop Arm from the looks of this little part you'd probably Ahhh So What! but let me tell ya it gets rid of Sooooo! Much! tension off the whole system, everything is lined up with pin point precision, this has been redesigned and engineered deleting the original and poorly designed system.

I fabricated this Cable Stop Arm cutting and bending a cable brake pull off an old Huffy BMX bike since it is time consuming to just make one, I made Two for the next one.

I don't understand why these manufacturers don't sit down re-evaluate their product and make some improvements and redesign several facets of these engines

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Went down to my little nut and bolt store today for some things and then when I got home everything was the wrong size, I was shopping for some pretty, shiny, stainless steel nuts, bolts, and washers when I saw all the SHINEY stuff logic flew out the door and the funny thing is I brought everything with me for sizing but was so concerned about thread size (fine, Course ) and finding bolts without kind of print on the head I didn't even pay attention to the actual size of the nuts and bolts.
He! He! Ha! Ha! Ha! Oh! Ha! Ha! I had to laugh at myself but no problem the store is just down the block.

Last edited:

CranbrookKid

Jul 14, 2013
Western MA
Great build so far! Everything you're doing now to the motor is what I what to do to mine, but alas, I have no tools, skill or patience for this type of thing.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Thanks! for the compliments

These engines aren't that complicated, you can buy a complete engine from CR machine but they are pricey! That's Dax is a good place to start with there 66/80cc lower end engine some after marker performance stuff and Just a little patience and of course some $$ helps but there not too much of a money pit, I have a tendency to go over board with the re-engineering of the engine and actually about $300.oo cash in the engine and the rest is labor.

A Dremel is a good investment, so is a torque wrench from Harbor Freight fallow some other threads and before you know it Dammnnn! your engine is work'n better then it ever was engineered too.

If patience isn't yer thing then start a box of stuff you want to put on or into the bike that you want so that everything is there and there is not sudden sticker shock.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Thanks! buba
I just can see building a bike that doesn't even resemble what you are calling like some of those Huffy's with an Indian or Harley decal on it but I guess we build what we like, I feel like my builds have to have authenticity to them other wise what's the point ?

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Thanks! buba

I feel that My builds have to have that authenticity (other then the engines) other wise what's the point ?
UM double posting ??

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
After some major plumbing expense's the Black Jack is on a temporary hold but all that needs to be done now is break down and powder coat then final assembly, this bike was coming along great then comes the set backs and with a few other bikes in progress, well you all get the picture.

Now I'm off to Arizona to visit my son and check a car show with Velodrome and do some horse trading hopefully Big Bill shows up too ?

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
That why my bike has my name on it. so I can pick and choose from all the makes with out dishonor to the name. Other wise I'd need to build like a hundred frick'n bikes and I have the love but not the time.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Just a little off track but look what I found on the side of the road, a Huffy Cranbrook practically new just really dirty! the chain is off the sprocket but that's it, again just a little dirty and I'll use it for a parts donor on an up-coming build here is a preview, it's OLD! and made by Pope for a hardware store found this out through serial # and visual from style and forks

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That Pope is interesting. To think that at one time Pope was just about the biggest bike manufacturer in the country. The factory was like a small town with its own housing for the employees. It is an interesting story. Makes you wonder where all those bikes went? A tremendous amount went to the war effort of WWII where people were encouraged to donate scrap metal to be made into war material. Still, where did all the bicycles go? Makes one shudder to think of old Elgins and other classic bikes, all the old motorcycles including some Indians no doubt... melted down into materials for jeeps and tanks, etc. A Pope today is a pretty rare thing. Should make a very cool build.
SB

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
That old Pope / Westfield frame and forks would make an AWSOME Shaw reproduction. Make up a modified vintagefied HS 49cc and just tilt it forward like the original. Might have to add a little extra oil. A cylinder extension like what I mentioned at the Pavilions would complete the look.