Big Black Jack

GoldenMotor.com

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I did the engine turning with an off set mill bit my Dad made ( I think that's what he called it ) and with my limited machinist skills LOL! I doubt I could work anything larger and I actually did it before it was cut, then trimmed it with a utility knife and hand sanded & polished it all & all about 4 hrs. of work, I have one more tensioner like this with out the engine turning and the groove is straight instead of curved so I might use it on the Pope/Shapleigh ?

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
The bit I mentioned is not an off set mill bit it has teeth like a saw blade for a mill and there is no name for it just something my Dad made as part of a set about 40 Yrs. ago for his custom work on his cars.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Off the Thread Subject for a minute........

As every one knows I picked up a very old Pope/Shapleigh I've been doing a lot of research to positively identify this bike so today I started stripping it down and found three coats of paint
1st Carmel, like the color of the Mead bikes
2nd Blue, like the Iver Johnson bikes
3rd Red reminiscing of so many other bikes

Fading from under the original head badge (cream colored) isn't the same pattern as the head badge which was held on by a small screw and a nail at the bottom I also stripped and polished the badge and will get the frame into bead blasting soon, the frame is solid as a rock and I will be Re-Furbishing the bike with a Gran Royale Union Flyer that I can transfer all the parts over to and have a pretty road worthy bike, I will get a thread started soon on the Resto- Mod.

Notice the forks don't match those featured on the Special in the catalog and they also have a closed axel drop out reminiscent of a much older bike, the double duty bars are brazed onto the forks and have female threads at the top instead of male threads with acorn nuts like a newer model.

Questions ? Questions ?

Oh and Thanks! to Velo for the trade I won't say what we traded, that's his secret surprise to share.

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Send me a link Dude the forks are what I'm interested in so take a good look at them and keep an eye open when I took them off I discovered the steer tube was bent beyond repair and even though I'm going to use the Union Flyer for donor parts the forks won't work YHAAAA !
Thanks for compliment on the head badge very delicate work and I still have to put a finish polish on it.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Ok I've bent the clutch arm up to level with the clutch roller, painted and installed the vintage brake lever that now serves as the clutch lever and some Gentleman's Bling (thinking of Velo) on the top of the clutch where normally an acorn nut would go and a nylon washer to take up some slop between the clutch arm cover and arm.

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I've decide to order another Jaguar ignition system for the Jack, then finish this Bad Boy.

I'm going to have a hernia operation Dec 4th so I have been cramming as much work in as possible now because there will be a 6 week recuperation period that I can't do any lifting so I'll be doing some bike stuff pretty much full time, well depending on the $$$$ flow ? during the down time.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
The Dr. say's to treat it now as it can become strangletory (< however it's spelled ?) and become dangerous to the lower body organs, No pain just discomforting, my wife is a nurse and the surgery will be preformed by one of the Dr. she works with and tell the truth My wife runs the Dr.'s around there so they'll do good.

Just won't be able to work for a little while BOOOOOOOOO!HOOOOO!WHAAAAAA!!!! Sob!!

Just got my other Gran Royale Union Flyer and let me tell Ya'all something if ? you wanted to build something along the lines of the Jack/Shaw this is the bike to get , HIGH QUALITY!,SOLID! and built like an old Schwinn, this one came with Black spokes and silver rims.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I'm counting down the days till surgery then finishing up the Jack, got a NICE! Throttle the other day for it for $16.oo and I'm thinking of a modified expansion chamber.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
truckd--

good luck with that hernia thing
I am sure you will put your recuperation time to good use with lots of interesting and informative posts

best

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Good luck on the surgery,Do what the doc says. My sister got in a big hurry and had to redo it,not good...........Curt

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
My wife is a nurse in the Dept of the Dr. who is doing the Surgery and she said we may have to re schedule? (just dept. hear say at this point)I want to get it over with but it does give me an opportunity to pull in some more $$ but then again I'm feeling it every time to lean down to pick something up, doesn't hurt but you know it's there.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Well this is the 2nd day after surgery and I haven't taken anything for the pain and believe it's there, more then just Black & Blue but I won't let it drive me insane like some people do so I sat in front of the computer and made a parts list, checked it twice just to see what was cruddy and what was nice, what was un-necessary and what was quality at a good price and with out further ado I went on EBay, on Amazon and on Pay Pal too
what a wonderful Christmas I'm going to have as soon as I can get the strength to get off my @$$
LOL!