Big Black Jack

GoldenMotor.com

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I thought that it was manufactured by Westfield/Columbia for Shapleigh but nothing came back for the serial # time after time then I read an article about the Shaphiegh Hardware store and before W/C the bikes were made by Pope and titled Shapleigh Specials once their bike sale increased they switched to the W/C MFG. in early 30's and kept the Special in the line up with the new Wonder and Rugby and the forks looked different from the W/C bikes, a much older type without easy slide in for the axel I thought those might be from a different bike too but the remnants of the paint match that of the frame HUUMMMMM! so still got some research to do for guaranteed confirmation.

The 2 stroker can be leaned forward so I will be rebuilding the one Velodrome and I swapped ( like I do He! He! He! )found a 2 hp exposed push rod B&S (actually two) so I will be delicately negotiating a price for at least one, the guy owns a vintage engine and lawn mower repair shop I visit often for odd parts.

Yer Idea certainly is a good one Velo and I might use it on another bike (you know which one)

Mr. B good video Wheels through time Vid's are never boring Thanks!

Last edited:

Big Bill

Jun 3, 2011
arizona
Hey Truchd

You two do some amazing work!! your attention to detail is amazing,
I have a lot of catching up to do in this section!!
O yes I will be looking around here for awhile.

I just picked up paint for my bike today so I should get started painting
in a week or two, work is killing us lately.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
What color ? brake it down refine it and paint it up, yer detail is amazing as well and with a new color Look out !
Thanks! for the kinds words I guess the detailing is in the blood but as I've stated many times before I don't build two wheeled lawn mowers LOL! I'd like for my bikes to mimic the real ones as much as possible and all you guys doing the Dyno bikes are creating a new style as well, maybe in a hundred years from now when someone finds yer bike in a barn they'll realize what a value of what they've got and appreciate the style such as a collector does now of a particular bike.
Thanks! again.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Here is a little up-date on the Big Black Jack........
Broke down the bike today and brought it to my guy who does bead blasting he said his unit couldn't bead blast because it was a small unit and didn't put out enough pressure to effectively remove the paint/previous powder coating so after talking with him for a while I explained that I was looking for a new powder coater because mine was getting progressively worse with the quality of work and yet charging a higher price each trip in so he turned me to his guy who will do the blasting, metal treatment(chemical bath to clean the metal) and coating for the same price my old guy charged just for powder coating and I can get it the next day, so come Monday (they're closed on the weekend) we'll see.

Attachments

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Dropped of the frame and forks on Fri at the new powder coater and the rest of the stuff this morning at 8:00am and picked everything up at 3:00pm and man it is beautiful black (better then factory) in fact you can see the reflection of the carpet on the side of the tank, I'm totally overly joyed about how this powder coat came out.

After Doctors appointment tomorrow I will gently start the final assembly, Man! I have waited too long! to get this bike Powder Coated I have a budget for every build and try not to go over a $100.oo on the top end of the budget but you name it happened this year and I've had to dip into the Black Jacks budget more then once to take care of business, now it's done He! He! He!

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Thanks! X now I have to get some decals for the tank finish the oil box and get it powder coated I'm also thinking about a Jaguar CDI & Coil for the final part.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
! That's a good lookin PC job! I might just send the POPE to you to have done ! Looks like they know what they are doing. UNLIKE the last powdercoater I used.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I am amazed at the quality coating, they have my future business and they did it in one day, same day drop off and pick up.

Might as well get both our Popes done at the same time. He! He! He!

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
So We have a rolling bike went back together nicely! and the chrome shiny stuff set's this black off perfectly, changed out the seat post from flat black to chrome and fenders from raw aluminum to black so to high light the wheels, the fenders are just sitting on the tops of the tires for Photo Op

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Here is just a little progress report on the fenders install and just a fitting of the oil/tool box, SS Acorn nut on double duty truss fork and cool leather washers for that vintage touch (all fender nuts and bolts SS) it's all in the details no matter how big or small, thinking of using Carmel colored cable housing to set off some more of those details.

Thanks! for the compliments RN

Attachments

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Lookin GREAT truckd ! Love those leather gromets / washers! Im gonna setal that idea :) Whatch ya thinking for decals or ya gonna have it sign painted?

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
As far as the decals I like the vintage MotoBike with wings but I'd like to incorporate the Shaw over the top in the center or just the Shaw.
Thanks for all the compliments and Velo Waite tell you see the Pope / Shapleigh.
I have a quality camera but in no way do these pic's tell the truth about how nice this bike looks, I have to step to the side or out of the flashes brightness others wise a reflection is all you'd see.
As far as the race is concerned Dan has tree bikes in the shop that need to get done as well as myself with two I know I know I'm a stooge for putting it off and believe me Dan feels the same way, Sorry! for that & BOOO ! on Me

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Today I had friends from Texas visiting and family from L.A up very busy! so I finally broke away to mess with the chain on the Jack, after cutting the 410 kit chain I found out it had the wrong pitch so it did not slide between the teeth of the rear drive sprocket so I pulled out a #41 Diamond chain and the pitch was fine plus a little thinner in width so I'll try again on Mon when thing's calm down around here.