Big Black Jack

GoldenMotor.com

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
That is a Klaxon Ooga horn very expensive these I've seen them start at $20.oo and sell for over $150.oo (and that was a good deal) I've seen them at good prices in some antique stores but didn't really know what they were, Dah! now I can't find em any where, Bummer!

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I have come to the conclusion that I am not going to get the Cylinder of the engine going into the Jack ceramic and copper coated as it will cost almost $150.oo for the process, checked around and it seems to be the going rate give or take 5 or 10 bucks, not really a big bummer as I will have other priorities with this build.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Got this today for $10.oo Bench Grinder & Sears & Co. Drill Press at a Garage Sale and I sure could use it for all those details still lurking on the Black Jack build.
Thats a realy good buy. I have one of them drill preses and they although small they are good.............Curt

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Bought another type of engine paint for the cylinder, I've used it before and got good results and I like the color too! an iron color that compliments the silver engine casing and gives a vintage appeal for the build.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
The paint is VHT 900% temp it is a lite metal flake Iron in color I've used it before and made mention of it too, when I said another type of paint I should have clarified that statement by saying different then what I had originally planned to used which was the ceramic coating.
Sorry! for the confusion.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
The paint is VHT 900% temp it is a lite metal flake Iron in color I've used it before and made mention of it too, when I said another type of paint I should have clarified that statement by saying different then what I had originally planned to used which was the ceramic coating.
Sorry! for the confusion.
OK awesome thanks

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
As I said in the last post I had to change up on the plans of ceramic coating the cylinder, here is what I chose instead VHT Iron Light Metal Flake with heat rating of 900 degrees, I've used it before and will feature the engine in an upcoming build thread Dan (Taylar motor bikes) and I are doing together.
The cylinder is part of a stage 2 kit from CR Machine I purchased for the Jack and although the internals of the cylinder was done very nicely! the outer fins and over all appearance was pretty rough and I spent the most part of a full day with Dremel, sanding, filing and cleaning the casting blemishes I attribute this to the busy days and schedule that Fred spends making parts, no complaints with Fred's work infact I will purchase from CR Machine again and with all the spare engine stuff I have it would be the smart thing to do for the performance mods I want

Attachments

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Some progress on the Black Jack between yesterday and today
The piston has been port trimmed and precession roller bearing on the right both are part of the CR machine stage 2 upper end kit, a single head gasket was copper sprayed along with the gasket in Freds kit and a slightly thinner automotive grade gasket added to it, 2 base gaskets and 1 head gasket should be enough to up the high end power ratio, automotive grade Allen bolts were used for the head and a BH8S NGK spark plug installed.
The pic of the engine in the bike shows the RT performance carb( Dellorto clone ) now I've got to find a very thin air filter or cut up the intake manifold tube I bought from Sportsman Flyer a while back and direct it to the left side like the Redskin, we'll see as time goes on.

Attachments

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Here are some pic's of the engine in the bike for a visual spot check, rear motor mount is still drying from paint so it sits a little back in the pic.
This head looks so good in this bike and does give it the likely look of a vintage engine of that time period.
I LOVE THIS BIKE!!

Attachments

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Just got through watching Ongstad Special and before paint it kinda resembled an Excelsior, looks even better with the paint scheme, yer right I love it!
Mine is a tribute to a 1909/1915 Shaw Motobike.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Well the Black Jack is on hold for a little while, I'm waiting for an off set intake manifold tube that xseler has so graciously donated for this build ( Props to another forum member xseler) I will fabricate a clutch cable roller like I did on the Redskin before one last fit of the engine before break down and powder coating.