Are we in the electric Vehicle Revolution?

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
great article, I know the people I have talked to about their electric cars were very happy with them.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I got to drive an electric BMW 1-series sedan and it was a very nice silent drivetrain with lots of torque. When the price goes down on electrics and an affordable one can go 300 miles per charge like an average 12 gallon tank of gas I think they will indeed become very popular with the general public. The ability to high rate charge without damaging the batteries will be another technology which will help them get popular, along with a commercial charging infrastructure on par with the availability of gas stations so you aren't limited to where you can plug in and how long you need to be stopped in order to get a full charge. Most current batteries will last more cycles if you charge them slowly, fuel cells or gigacapacitors might be the next development which makes electrics be able to meet the practical requirements for the average consumer.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm thinking remote charging won't be an issue for most people as long as they can drive around all day and make it home at night. They'll just charge overnight, and be ready to go for another day. That would probably satisfy 80% of owners.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
The problem with hybrids and fire is that they are still filled with gas and even after the fire is out they can still be shorted out and dangerous.

Electric cars can catch fire, and sometimes in a manner in which they are difficult to extinguish. You gotta respect the energy stored in a big battery pack and be careful how you charge and store them.
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/521976/are-electric-vehicles-a-fire-hazard/

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The problem with hybrids and fire is that they are still filled with gas and even after the fire is out they can still be shorted out and dangerous.

Electric cars can catch fire, and sometimes in a manner in which they are difficult to extinguish. You gotta respect the energy stored in a big battery pack and be careful how you charge and store them.
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/521976/are-electric-vehicles-a-fire-hazard/
All true, but that's you point? That electrics are more dangerous than other cars? Tesla's are considered one of the safest cars on the road.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I'm thinking remote charging won't be an issue for most people as long as they can drive around all day and make it home at night. They'll just charge overnight, and be ready to go for another day. That would probably satisfy 80% of owners.
It probably true around my area because while doing my weekend ride, i came across a parking lot filled with rows of Chevy Volts.
It still amazes me the places I've been finding around town.

Attachments

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
I didn't even see the cars lol. had to go back and look. I was admiring your great looking electric bicycle. nice and clean and looks fast!

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Thanks Paul,
Not too fast but tons of fun to ride and handles 10xs better than my beach cruiser!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
that's why I use my electric mountain bike instead of the cruiser. I expect it to handle even better after I get my in frame mount battery. they are a blast
dnut

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
that's why I use my electric mountain bike instead of the cruiser. I expect it to handle even better after I get my in frame mount battery. they are a blast
dnut
Have you decided on how you plan on mounting the new battery? Bag or metal mounts?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
bag that is nylon with velcro straps, but will make a leather one for it. soon as i get it will post pictures and if their is a difference in my e-bike handling. i think their will be though

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What an interesting discussion. It makes me think of those that must have taken place in the late 1900s in bars, pool halls, barber shops and church socials all over this country.
The subjects have changed, the technology certainly has but the opinions are the same.
Horses verses motor cars, IC verses electrics.
This is a good read. Thanks guys.

Oh, by the way, I'm the old guy sitting in the corner, whittling and smiling and there's a buggy whip leaning against my leg.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've heard that buggy whips are very popular now days, but with a totally different crowd.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The more and more we discuss about the electric vehicle revolution, the more I'm noticing electric vehicles everywhere. Here's an example, I've driven thru Santana Row (a ritzy outdoor mall in the San Jose) a few dozen times. Today I had to drop off my son there because he volunteered for a 5k run and as I'm driving thru I notice for the first time a Tesla showroom. Someday I'll stop by and check it out only problem is...I hate malls.
I've heard that when you buy one, Tesla will make it and hand deliver it to your door step.

Attachments

Last edited: