79cc Sportsman Flyer build

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Weather today, unseasonably warm and tempting. Gotta go. Gassed up the Flyer, garbed for the worst and did. Dumped it on the start, beverages involved. Not too much as to be unsafe for a ride but enough to try a pedal start.
Dumb.
Bully clutch and 79cc Predi. do fine without pedal assist.
Right the bike, start the engine and just go I did. Ride shortened by the Brookes saddle rotating out of position.
I know what needs be done. My thread in the Tavern will develop my solution I hope.
Tom

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hope only your pride was dinged Pete. I dumped the Simplex a few years back while a pro photographer was shooting the whole thing & my pride was severely damaged. Fortunately he was from out of state and there was no local collateral damage to my rep. Not a scratch on bike or man, but somewhere there is photographic evidence that I screwed the pooch.

Rick C.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
My last ride noted above
After making kindling for the wood stove I gave pause to analyze the Brookes saddle seat post mount and angular positioning. Some deficiency's engineering wise I have a plan to maximize clamp distribution.
Day before Easter here in Rubicon, Wisconsin, and weather deteriorating into winter like conditions.
But the day before Easter we got a parade.
Glad they did. A lot of joy. Happy Easter
DSCN0924.JPG

Last edited:

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I have been unhappy with the generic pedals on the Flyer for some time, Walmart I think but other things always got priority. The bike being a tribute to an earlier time at the dawn of motorcycling the more period correct details the better.
Bit of searching, likely candidates varied in cost from nearly $450.00,https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Ha...473765?hash=item3fe03474a5:g:O4EAAOSweateoDyJ
Beautiful!
But what I settled on which are beautiful too at less than a tenth the price.
So nice I am thinking another set for my 1972 Schwinn P15 Paramount.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MKS-Sylvan...dals-Silver-9-16-Alloy-Toe-Clip-/323935806365
That the seller is in Mount Horeb, Wisconsin sealed it.
They came today and will soon grace the Flyers pedal cranks.
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
It finally dawned on me where the pedals on my Flyer came from. In a moment of shameless expediency my Huffy - Davidson pedals were pressed into service.
Shame for shame and Egad!
Before and after photos on the install. Tomorrow I ride.
DSCN0944.JPG

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Shake down ride after mowing two acres for first time in 2020.
Before the ride I thought I better check oil level in my tipped up vertical 79cc engine. Unscrewed the top filler. and with a thin wooden dowel. My first setup of my Flyer 80. I just ran a tube from the rocker cover port and down to the ground mostly because I couldn't imagine must oil coming out of that port. Wrong!
2018 runs, actually first one I almost lost it breaking going into a round about but at the time thought those bicycle tires might of had mold wax on them. Wrong! Oiled tire.
2019 upgrading drivetrain to steel instead of aluminum with perfected chain lines and everything functioning flawlessly. Except the breather tube dumping on the ground and no back pressure. I knew Pat Dolan used catch cans and just though it was a California thing.
Wrong!
A properly plumbed catch can restricts blow out.
So this last winter I added a catch can to the Flyer 80 build.
Today when I checked the oil level it was so low as to expect the crank to have not gotten adequate lubrication.
I can see the value of sight glasses on the crankcase side. Use this information as best you can.
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
The new Rat Trap pedals are nice to look at but I have found that they don't remain in what I will call the upright position. The pedal body is not centered on the pedal shaft. I'm going to have to come up with some sort of counter balance that doesn't look too dorky.
Still, it was a good ride and so far the saddle has stayed where I set it. Knock on wood.:)
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Weather allowed me to get out on my Sportsman Flyer yesterday and today. Saturday was to prove out my correction of a deficiency in the Brooks saddle mounting system. In my Machineshop /Tool Room I made parts to replace the stock assembly by a factor X 5 and also containment of the saddle frame that did not exist in the original Brooks B190 seat post mount.

https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/b190.html

The position adjustment would not stay where set. Damn nuisance while riding. There is a significant # complaints about the whole product line since what is still built in England is now Italian owned.
If needed I can post photos for those how would see the value of my Engineering. On part of my ride I passed a logger and he hailed me to a stop. "Is that a real one?".
Thanks Pat.

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
The good old catch can ..yep they catch all that oil from blasting that awesome bike..which we don’t want! I like the direction you took the Flyer!! What tires are u running? Thanks bud!
My current tires Moto are.
Continental Retro Ride 26 x 2" Reflex Tire: Cream
They have a reflective stripe at the rim I am not too keen about.
About that catch can, it catches a lot of oil. Like a couple oz. in a five mile ride which to me is a lot.
Tom

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
My current tires Moto are.
Continental Retro Ride 26 x 2" Reflex Tire: Cream
They have a reflective stripe at the rim I am not too keen about.
About that catch can, it catches a lot of oil. Like a couple oz. in a five mile ride which to me is a lot.
Tom
Thanks! You may be blowing out extra oil.. meaning to much added at fill?? Also I ran mine in a upward direction from vent hole. Mist blows in and I believe Cuz of tube angle not much oil is lost????