53mph Raptor Build

GoldenMotor.com

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
The ebike frame came from Slovenia and took 1 month from fabrication to delivery at my door. The motor is a Greyborg beast and got that through the USA distributor. I purchased two 18 Fet controllers and I'll have to see which I like best on this heavy frame. Anyways, I got both a sensored and sensorless controller. The Cycle Analyst is the latest version and has plenty to mess around with. Batteries will be my same old Sky lipo 6s packs and a pair of 3s Gensace. I'll get me a A123 pack build one day.

So this is what I received in one box.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
I installed a 26 x 2.3 tire on the 46mm rim. I had requested the dropout to support a Cromotor and 5 speed freewheel, thus 165mm dropout spacing. Well it looks like I'll go with a 3 speed or two speed freewheel instead. Too bad a Schlumpf drive can't/won't fit.

I am disappointed in one thing. For the money I have spend on this frame, I expected a non-tweaked chainstay to get too the 165mm dropout.
I've emailed the company and they agreed to send me a new swing arm on an open forum and email. Lets see if they do send me a new one.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Got me a DNM fork that is dual disk capable. The dude at Bike Barn laced up the hub for me into a wheel.

Here's Zombies 18Fet controller. This is when I want to play with regen at 24s. But for real running on 24S, I will need a bigger controller for the Cromotor.

This is the Hygia E-hydro brakes I got through Greyborgusa. Uses a hall sensor that is screwed on the bottom of the brake handle. These brakes started leaking so took them out in the meantime.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
I have a pair of V3 CA's. One for Lyen 18fet sensorless controller and one for Zombies 18Fet.

Got the 50 dollar 9.5" shock from Ebay. Looks ok for the price and fits nicely.

Got me some stuff from evworkslab.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Installed an old set of 165mm cranks. Still need to look for a new rear brake, as the the one I have is leaking oil. The front brake lines are find, but need to install some spacers between the brake rotors.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
This is my Bike Barn :oops:

Some nude shots of the controllers.

18fet ebike ESC's. One is sensored with 125V capable fets and the other is sensorless 100V max.

sensored

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
The frame manufacturer did send me a new swing arm. They shipped it free of charge and it wasn't cheap for them to do so. The new swing arm looks a lot better and the shock mount is tweaked a bit to allow a larger diameter tire.
The new swing arm is on the left.

The dual disc brakes didn't work out. They leaked at the pistons and I'll have to fix them later on. In the meantime I found some Julie Magura ebike brakes. These have the brake cutoff sensors build inline with the hydraulic lines. These work good at slower speeds, but I'll have to depend on regen braking at higher speeds. I still need to wire it up for that.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
I almost finished the bike. Still to clean up the install, wire up the brake cutoff and mess around with the CA.

The test ride was nuts!! Cromotor is a beast. Torque is insane when I went offroading a bit and the 3 speed came in handy. The throttle control coming off the CA is pretty good. The bike handled nicely, but will get better once tweaked. Pedaling was a PITA with the bike seat in place. If the bracket was slimmer from the top, my legs would not hit it. I'm putting back the moto seat.

I decided the put the controller inside the bike to keep the mud off from it. Still have plenty of space for the batteries.

The cromotor is just super quiet with Zombies 18fet controller. Gonna have to ask him what his default settings are.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Added Magicshine super bright rear light on the rear shock reservoir. Spreaded the swing arm like 2 millimeters to stuff one of Zombies C-washer to give me more brake clearance. No more rubbing of the rotor against the caliper adapter.
Added a front fender to keep the junk out of my face when commuting to work and back.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
now that is one amazing motorized bicycle, very clean and sharp looking, thank you for sharing, if you have time someday could you show us how you make your battery packs? i have heard that the packs you make yourself has a higher c rating which is supposed to give you more punch from a stop. do you feel the home made packs are better then the ones already built? i have to say your shop has me drooling with envy, living in a condo i really miss my work shop

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Thanks Paul. I too am happy that I have a bigger garage for my toys. Not too long ago I had a smaller place to work in and it was a pita.

Higher C rated battery won't give you that much more umphh from the get go, until update/upgrade your controller. The higher c rated batteries will have less voltage drop under load. This will give you more speed in a stock setup. Voltage equals speed and Amperage equals to torque.
I've used laptop cells, A123's cells and lipo cells. Lipo is the cheapest way to go. Just get decent cells to start off with and manage them well. Don't go below 15-20% capacity and charge up to 4.15V per cell for a increase in life cycles. 30-40C cells are my preference. In cold weather I charge up to 4-4.1V per cell, which is about 80% capacity.
This raptor bike pulls a peak of 90A and can do a 80A continuous under 115% throttle. There are not many premade battery packs out there that support my bike. But there are plenty premade battery packs if you have a bike that will consume 1000-1500W continuous. If you have a good soldering skills, you can make a pretty good homemade pack. Get a quality fuse holder and good plugs for your battery build. I use a combination of EC5, 6.5mm bullets and 45A anderson connectors. Make sure you have a precharge setup to charge up the caps in the controller and avoid the plug in sparks.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
thank you snellemin, i have read so much about it and was pretty confused however you cleared up a lot of that confusion. the raptor is one heck of a bike and that is an understatement, i really like it

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
The Raptor was the easiest one to put together. I'll post up pics of my other builds. You can find vids of me riding on youtube under the same screen name.
What else do you need to know about the batteries?

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
I got me some 255mm rotors. These are big!!

This is the 203mm on top of the 255mm.

From the top: 160mm, 180mm, 203mm and 255mm on the bottom