212 hf / schwinn delmar

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Glenn,
I just read your thread from beginning to end and love your bike. Don't know how I missed it. I keep thinking the engine is too big for a bicycle, but you've done things right and turned it into a light motorcycle. If I were younger I'd think about building one, but as an old guy I think around a hundred CCs is enough for me. I look forward to seeing it all dressed up in new paint. Well done, sir!
SB

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
thanks silver bear i didnt do this thread any justice with the name i needed a large frame and i didnt know what would work! my welding is not up to a frame building level. the roadmaster frame was just the ticket im 46 feel like a kid on my bike lol. the level of creative fabrication and design of vintage motor/ bicycles is amazing here. builders like yourself/culver/sporstscarpat/scotto inspired the rodmaster i took bits and pieces from every were i could.. the roadmaster will get paint this summer first i will work out all the bugs and make adjustments were needed .i dont want to be wrenchin on a freshly painted bike. i make auto paint for a living so this should be somethin special.. recruited a co- worker to do the spraying . will post photos when i get started. anyone with color ideas chime in open for sugestions
thanks again, glenn

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Good job Glenn, and sure looks like you have had a lot of fun building it!

I will have somewhat the same look, (with a smaller motor!), with my green frame huffy, and will run a bobber fender... what my plan was, and it might work for you, is to make the rear support from abt 1/2" tube and build it like a hand push-bar for a btr, for starting... and hang the fender off of it.
...it might work out???

..something kinda the size of the rear support for a stingray bicycle seat... but only up and inch or two higher than the fender???

Best
rc

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Glenn,
I've always admired that Luxury Liner from first seeing pictures of an original years ago. You made a good choice and I suspect others will follow. Not having to modify the frame is a big deal for most of us.

The moderators could easily change the name of the thread if you ask them to. It is a little misleading and some might not see your inspiring build due to the title.
SB

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
Glenn,
Quick question: I was just wondering how you got your gear ratio correct, because I didnt see any reductions in your jackshaft. It looks like you just extended the original output shaft of the TAV2 and slipped on another sprocket (10 tooth?) that would line up directly with the rear sprocket. Wouldnt this create a very small ratio such as something like 1:5, which is way to steep for this bike (you would be going over 80 mph at 5000 rpm.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Glenn,
Quick question: I was just wondering how you got your gear ratio correct, because I didnt see any reductions in your jackshaft. It looks like you just extended the original output shaft of the TAV2 and slipped on another sprocket (10 tooth?) that would line up directly with the rear sprocket. Wouldnt this create a very small ratio such as something like 1:5, which is way to steep for this bike (you would be going over 80 mph at 5000 rpm.
It slipped my mind to ask. Thanks, BeaverRat.

I remember you mentioning a 45t rear wheel sprocket and a 10t jackshaft sprocket. That's 4.5:1.

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
It slipped my mind to ask. Thanks, BeaverRat.

I remember you mentioning a 45t rear wheel sprocket and a 10t jackshaft sprocket. That's 4.5:1.
It's actually even less, because the CVT has a 1:0.90 overdrive at the highest ratio. I can't even see this running at that low of a ratio... I must be missing something.

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
the comet cvt is an amazing beast it came with a stock 10 tooth drive sprocket i just moved it to a custom jackshaft for chain alignment but you can gear this thing crazy if you want and it will still probably run. i first had a 36 tooth on the wheel. but i decided i didnt need that much speed this thing is a wild horse. and needs to be respected or you can get hurt.
good luck
glenn

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Awesome looking bike, Glenn.

Are the brake cable stops on the hubs, or on the frame and fork?

Are you using standard bicycle cables or moped cables and levers?

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
the front cable stop is on the hub , the rear is a one of my creations using a pull brake, im using puch cables, levers and hubs..

glenn

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
HI Glennbo nice build. glad to see a fellow Hoosiers Build. you know you can get that licensed as a home built moped with over 50 cc under indana law it is a moped becouse it has working peddels. you will need to add brake light thou. here in Vincennes the cops are getting bad on scooter and moped, we have had 2 deaths to minors in the las 2 years.

again super nice build

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
thanks don, working on putting lights on the bike but stiill considering on a power source! been riding the roadmaster all year have about 500 miles on it no problems with the police. i rarely take the bike over 30 but when nobodys lookin the roadmaster is cookin
glenn

Reactions: Hud

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
thanks don, working on putting lights on the bike but stiill considering on a power source! been riding the roadmaster all year have about 500 miles on it no problems with the police. i rarely take the bike over 30 but when nobodys lookin the roadmaster is cookin
glenn
You might consider what I am going to use, a Kubota dynamo,10 amps, friction driven off the front wheel, to charge a 4AH AGM battery for my lights.
Going to hinge mount it behind the forks and control it with a cable and locking lever.

Attachments

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
looks pretty good wayne, but its a little pricey the regulator is another 80 and i would still need a belt and have to fab up some kind of mount on the up side its little
glenn

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Yeah, if you bought all the stuff new, it would be kinda pricey.

Well, I bought mine used, on-line for $60 and I am using a salvaged regulator from a snowmobile. I have seen this same regulator on many older riding mowers. Any regulator that is used with a lighting coil type alternator will work.

Since the whole body of the dynamo rotates with the pully, I'm going to mount it so that the body bears against the tire for friction drive. no belt or pully.