212 hf / schwinn delmar

GoldenMotor.com

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
well its been over a year since the roadmaster was born took her out for a great ride today this is my favorite out of all my builds heres how shes holdin up there are a couple of different parts on her now but she is pretty much the same old bike.. gotta say one thing about these 4 stroke preddys you cant beat the quality compared to the chinadoll..

peace glennbo

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Glen,
Is there any way that 212 would fit in a 50's Schwinn cantilever frame? I'm thinking it won't. If not then I'll go with a 5 horse Briggs.
I'm so glad for you that your build went the way you wanted it to. Your build has been an adventure, hasn't it? Well done, sir!
SB

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
i dont think a 212 will fit without frame modifications, but another choice instead of the briggs is a honda gc160 also 5hp it pulls real nice with the comet torque converter. i have built a 50s schwinn with the gc160 and its my every day cruiser check my albums if you want to see pics thanks again silver bear for the compliment.

glennbo usflg

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I suspected it wouldn't. The GC160 would be a good choice. It occurred t me today that my 147cc 2 stroke Jacobson would be about right, I think.
At what horsepower is the torque converter not a good idea, in your opinion? It seems to me that I read someone's comment that a CVT would not work well with 99cc Predator. I'm not real clear on the differences between the CVT and the torque converter, but if it would work well with the 160 then it might also work well with my 147 cc Jacobson. Could you venture a guess? It looks like a slick setup to me.
SB

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
im guessing your jacobson motor to be 4.5 or 5 hp youll be fine long as your output shaft is 3/4 on the 99cc preddy its 5/8 and i didnt get the disired speed i was looking for you should easily achieve 40mph with some strong torque with the jacobson prolly even more LOL!

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for your input, Glen. The Jacobson has a nice 1950's look to it and is compact enough that it could pass for 50cc, an added bonus when you're trying to fly under the radar. It's decided then. Now I have to figure out whether or not the torque converter will lend itself to a final belt drive to a rear wheel sheave.
SB

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
Thanks guys, its been nice riding these bikes over the years.. but the build is also great I want to do another but I will have to let go of some eventually I don't have room for a museum LOL..

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
Nice thread glennbo!!! Thanks for sharing. I'm working on a Columbia newsboy special right now. Has that same second cross member and a springer fork. I'm currently squeezing my 212 inside it. This thread just reassured me that I'm not messing up, and I need to stop second-guessing my frame choices. I really liked your choice of drum brakes. I'm going to have to man up and lace my own rims too. Good thread. Going to have to bookmark this one.

Collin Parks

Jan 5, 2019
Been looking a lot of places for ideas on what frame to use for my 212 pred but haven't had much luck till i found this thread, and i love the bike, is that a filter on the gas tank? I've seen a lot of those but don't know what they are or what they do