1950 Panther Project

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Way to go, chain. Very nice bike. Total vintage look. Another way to attach the rear pulley is by using control cable clamps found on most small engines. I collected used ones and purchased the rest from the local lawnmower repair shop. A little trimming on the two legs of the clamp and it fits nicely. On the original Whizzer pulleys, they all face the same direction, but on the late Whizzer pulleys they fit in opposing directions unless you have a large flange as on a drum brake like mine in which case I used a late pulley and they all face the same way. Hope this helps because I searched for years trying to find a suitable clip and ended up with this method as being the most solid.

Thanks for sharing that. Do you know of a commercial online supplier of those clamps? If we go this route it looks like you are using 1 per spoke times 36 spokes times two Indian builds (Fasteddy's and mine) which makes 72 clamps in total. My local small engine guy tends to be pricey and I doubt he even has that many on hand. The rear wheel I laced uses 12 gauge spokes and Steve's will be a Worksman which I think is 11 gauge. Looks like your clamps would work nicely with either gauge. I like that it snugs the sheave right up against the wheel, unlike the bent tabs approach. I'm trying to tuck things in as closely as I can to avoid a major alteration to the frame.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
If you look close there are two different sheave's msrfan's is flat. The cable clamps is the best. But if you look and the other you can see reaised dimples next to were the clamps go, so a flat washer would be good enough,but would be better with a indent or reses for the spoke.

If you had acses to a press you could make some. two blocks of steel one with a reses and one with a raized hump. Just like the frame crimping tool that was made. Drill a hole in the right spot and put a washer in stick a pin to hold it and press, might even work with couple of bolts like the frame crimper?

That was my first thought was the cable clamps. Like the Indian I used to work with called Injinanuity................Curt

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
If you look close there are two different sheave's msrfan's is flat. The cable clamps is the best. But if you look and the other you can see reaised dimples next to were the clamps go, so a flat washer would be good enough,but would be better with a indent or reses for the spoke.

If you had acses to a press you could make some. two blocks of steel one with a reses and one with a raized hump. Just like the frame crimping tool that was made. Drill a hole in the right spot and put a washer in stick a pin to hold it and press, might even work with couple of bolts like the frame crimper?

That was my first thought was the cable clamps. Like the Indian I used to work with called Injinanuity................Curt
Hi curtisfox. The original whizzer pulleys had dimples to accommodate the spokes and just used a bent washer to retain each one. The modern Whizzer pulleys are flat and have different hole spacing.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Thanks!
Then you need to use cable clamps. As many lawn mowers my son and have fixed or scraped out I could have saved a bunch now I will, or make my own.......Curt

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Update on the bike... Had a week off from work and got in alot of riding!! I figured out a shimmying I was getting while under 10 mph.. I needed a bit more tension on the belt. Sadly on the 4th the pin that holds the govenor that protrudes out of the case fell into the case when I went to start it. So I had to open her up,... no damage done so I am in the process of removing the entire govenor assembly from the inside. ( I dont think just removing the linkage disables the govenor..i will find out soon enough.) I ordered a socket set a while back and am waiting it to arrive so I can removwe the flywheel and knock out the pin that holds the gear in place then she will go back together. On another note Jenny (the Misses) got Me an early b-day present for My next build ..a 13000 series 5 hp briggs NOS modified heavy duty for military use with a stator. Hope everyone had a great 4th.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
Looks like i still am.. we are trying to borrow her dads f350 to take both bikes. How about you?
I'm gonna look into borrowing a rack for my maxima. or hopefully Justin is gonna go and we will take his van. if thats the case drop off one of your bikes and we will take it up so you can drive your car and buy some bike parts with the gas money you will save not driving up an f350.

And Lx i will try like heck to get there if jay is going i'll def try and make it.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
LS..Im still waiting for approval for the day off should be OK though

Taco…Sounds cool to Me

I got the governor out last night and the motor put back together minus the carb and throttle linkage as I might try drilling the jets from the tutorial on AGK. I should be putting the bike back together and be up running on Sunday. I thought Id share some info on My next project. I wont pic the bike up until sometime in August but I got a Briggs for an early birthday present here are the specs on it and a pic.

NEW OLD STOCK FACTORY TESTED 5HP BRIGGS ENGINE COMPLETE flat head
HEAVY DUTY MODEL MODIFIED FOR MILITARY USE MODEL 132436
DOUBLE BEARING BLOCK ,IC STEEL BORE ,INDUSTRIAL VALVE TRAIN,UPDRAFT CARB,WITH STATOR ,POINTLES IGNITION, MANUAL PULL START,CRANK IS 3/4" X 2 1/4" , 3/16" KEYED AND TAPPED MODIFIED FOR MILITARY USE, WILL ACCEPT ELECTRIC START

And Here is a pic of the Bike it’s a 1949 Simplex Servi-Cycle.. As I said I wont get the bike until august so Im not exactly sure what is going to be done with it but tenative plans include lacing a Worksman front drum brake in , Electric start, And the briggs will have some performance mods done to it. Other than that it plan on re-doing it pretty much stock.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Holy cow!!!! That engine is a real beauty and all, but it pales in comparison to that simplex. Unbelievable, I wish I had one of those, or the money for one for that matter. After seeing your other work I know this will be a good one :)

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Thanks !! Im going for motorcycle legal. The Simplex motors are pretty scarce a complete if you can find one re-built run around 1200 clams. I plan on using some of msrfans little tricks to pretty up the motor if I cant find a simplex motor I can afford.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
All ball bearing engines come on water pumps also if you can find them.

Makeing everyone envious,thats going to be one AWESOME BUILD..........Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I am a firm believer that 5 hsp NOS Briggs motors make wonderful birthday presents. And a Simplex for Christmas is always a good choice in gifts. Rusty old Indians or a barn find Excelsior are other nice gift options for boys who never grew up.. Thank you, Santa! I've been good, honest!

What a wonderful adventure you have ahead of you, my friend. I'd go for the Briggs and make it your bike the way you want it and not necessarily an exact restoration. Besides, every time you are asked about it you can say, "my wife gave me that engine". What an awesome thing to have that kind of support from your spouse. The bike will always have something of her in it and be a reminder of what a lucky fellow you are.

Nothing says you can't make your Simplex an improved version of the factory model. Electric start... woohoo! And better brakes. I look at that seat and visions of some nice foam padding and black harness leather come into my mind. If it were mine, I'd also want it street legal, licensed as a motorcycle and ride that baby for the rest of my days. Vrooommm...

Must be in the ethers that we keep wanting to raise the bar from motored bicycle to light motorcycle. Look at some of the great builds going on now with the big HF motors. My next build, too, is morphing into the grey area of light motorcycle... my convertible tri car Indian/ Hiawatha with canoe sidecar and interchangeable tadpole front end... powered by a light motorcycle engine, a German model 1932 Fitcher Sachs 2 speed 2 stroke of 98 CCs. The frame started out as a Worksman NB and now has a frame more like your Panther. I don't know yet if I'll try to license it as a motorcycle. I'm so excited, as you must be with the Simplex build. Fasteddy is coming next week from Vancouver to spend the summer working on our Indians and sidecars. How lucky we all are to have these great projects and a community of brothers and sisters to share them with, cheering each other on.

And here I was thinking your Panther was special... now the Simplex will take center stage. I'll be following that thread, sir. When the time comes that you're doing your seat, let me know if there is any way I can be of help to you. It would be an honor.
SB

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Hey Chainmaker check out the ads at Antique Enginads for an older and more retro engine for that Servicycle. There are a couple there now that would be really nice for it. I bought a Cushman engine and clutch there that was running a couple months ago for $200... It is part of the Smostack Forums which is also a great place for old engine info... I have a buddy here in Dayton that has a completely original Servicycle that has never been restored in any way that still looks and runs great...

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Mark, you are a terrible person :D I never should have seen that first site :D Uh oh....
LOL Yea I am an addict to that page and spend too much money there sometimes but there is often a deal that you just can't pass up and it is about the best place I have found for old engines...