1913 BSA copy

GoldenMotor.com

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
Ran the engine up today. Everything seemed to work properly...even got that funny little Tillotson carb to tune in nicely. Nice deep/ subdued sounding exhaust note, without being overly muffled. Next step: take it all apart and try to make it pretty.

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
Well, took it apart, cleaned it up...put it back together. Only thing left to do is the final striping on the gas tank and then bolt that in place. Fitted one of my cheapie acetylene headlights (sorry about the fuzzy pics)...now it has a face...to me this is one of the things that helps make a bicycle look like a motorcycle. I know, I know...if I went to a swap meet I could likely find the real thing, or even an old kerosene one, but I like to fiddle with ordinary things and try to make them into something they ain't...it's a stainless steel food storage container...I just fabricated a little shade for it and put some aluminum duct tape on the rim. Fit a mounting bracket, polish it up with some 'mothers' and this is what you get. I have fitted an aluminum chimney to the top before, but I think I will just leave this one as it is. I'll probably fit one of those little LED closet lights inside for illumination.
Soon as I get the tank on (this weekend???), I'll post some pics of the finished machine.

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
Got busy with the pin striping brushes and got the final touches on the fuel tank before fitting it in place, soooo..........
Ok...I guess it's pretty much done (if this sort of project can ever really be called done). I do have a nice chain guard that I'm going to fit over the final drive chain and I still have to hit 'Wally world' to see if I can find something I can use as tool bags to fit to the back of the carrier...and then there's that idea I have to try out for getting it set up to pedal start (along with the engine de-compressor)
Anyhow, here are the latest pics...the sleazy looking little stripper girl with the nasty tattoos I hired to pose on it got too drunk and fell down and hurt herself, so I had to make due without her. One of these days when the grass gets green again I'll take a couple more 'glamor' shots of it outside in the sunshine. It's working great at least for now and for now, I am satisfied.

Reactions: Nightster

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Hopefully the poor sleasy little stripper girl can join u in future pics,but if she does,have her stand behind the bike as a back drop as the bike is really the main attraction and what makes the pic ,lol,bike looks great!!

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
WOW! That is such a beautiful bike I envy you! And at the same time I equally want to cry at the pure beauty and I am truly impressed by your skills. Taking interns this summer :D? Great job! I'd love to see a vid of it, but that is truly a work of art :)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Wow! The competition is stiff this year. Goldy, if my Higgins turns out looking just half as good as this BSA copy, I'll be pretty happy.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Really, really great job Goldy! Every where you look on that bike, some thing to enjoy and wonder about.

Hey! I know her Goat! snicker, snork

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
Thanks guys for the kind comments and the encouragement throughout the build. Started a Merkel Board tracker with one of my friends...may start a thread on that as work progresses...one thing about it is that I think the cosmetic side of things will not be as complex and time consuming as this build (no front fender, no chain guards), but then again, there's the funny shaped gas tank and the frame has some extra bends...And Goathearder, my ex wants her drawers back.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Everything new has been done already. Just that new is better???

Realy like your bike. Did a awesome job......Curt

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
I suppose in many cases new is indeed better, but when it comes to 'soul'...new just ain't got it. Give me the old stuff any day....anyhow, getting off topic here I suppose. Thanks curt, glad you liked the build.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I suppose in many cases new is indeed better, but when it comes to 'soul'...new just ain't got it. Give me the old stuff any day....anyhow, getting off topic here I suppose. Thanks curt, glad you liked the build.
Best would be old with new tech. like new bearings and the like.
But no school like old school. Good luck on the new build........Curt