1912 Excelsior Tribute

GoldenMotor.com

Bob53

Jan 8, 2015
Cleveland, OK
The neighbors were from Broken Arrow, OK. Really nice people. Sorry to all who missed Portland. It was another great meet. This was our 4th year. After the first time we were hooked. One thing about the show is if it will accept an engine, somebody has tried to put one on and make it motorized. Keith, pleasure meeting you. The Excelsior was right at home and well appreciated by all that checked it out. Another very special build. Congrats! Bob

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
The neighbors were from Broken Arrow, OK. Really nice people. Sorry to all who missed Portland. It was another great meet. This was our 4th year. After the first time we were hooked. One thing about the show is if it will accept an engine, somebody has tried to put one on and make it motorized. Keith, pleasure meeting you. The Excelsior was right at home and well appreciated by all that checked it out. Another very special build. Congrats! Bob
I was pretty sure "you guys" were the Oklahoma Bob. Glad you got to make the trip & yes the Excelsior is special.

Rick C.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Ok yes Bob now I remember ! You and your buddy With the stretch simplex frame. Thank you ! It was awesome talking with you to!

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Hey Moto There is a very cool GTG in your neck of the woods ( I think ) If your in South west MI your good. https://www.metrotriumphriders.com/resources/Documents/Event Flyers/2019 All Clubs Day.pdf You have to call Suzi to "Participate" in the show but shes VERY cool. It used to be held at her farm but got WAY too big. It used to be all twins the were NOT Harley-Davidson Ducks British BMW ect. But now they let anybody in as far a I know. I been a few times back in the day when I lived in Howell. You'll be the hit of the party with that EX build.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Hey Moto There is a very cool GTG in your neck of the woods ( I think ) If your in South west MI your good. https://www.metrotriumphriders.com/resources/Documents/Event Flyers/2019 All Clubs Day.pdf You have to call Suzi to "Participate" in the show but shes VERY cool. It used to be held at her farm but got WAY too big. It used to be all twins the were NOT Harley-Davidson Ducks British BMW ect. But now they let anybody in as far a I know. I been a few times back in the day when I lived in Howell. You'll be the hit of the party with that EX build.
Thanks Bud! Looks like a show I’m going to try to make! Now I never New you lived in Howel! Family has a place/camper in Hartland for 25 years.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Nope..But yesterday I went through pictures of there events! my bike is kinda down. Waiting for a new reduction. I’m switching from a belt clutch to sprocket. That belt just slipped so chain and sprockets will stop that. Final drive will still be belt and sheave. I will be there next year!

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Nope..But yesterday I went through pictures of there events! my bike is kinda down. Waiting for a new reduction. I’m switching from a belt clutch to sprocket. That belt just slipped so chain and sprockets will stop that. Final drive will still be belt and sheave. I will be there next year!
Moto I love your bike and sorry the primary is causing problems, but I started out with scooters (Cushman's) with primary belts to the two speed transmission that slipped and squealed. Chains fixed that and gave me the advantage against all other Cushman scoots, yet the three speed Pony Mustangs could still pull my heavily modified 8hp Cushman. Resulting in the purchase of my own 4 speed, 10hp Stallion ultimately built out to 15 hp.

Though the change over is regrettable, the primary chain hardly noticeable by any except the rider and that through enhanced riding enjoyment. The bright side being the rear belt drive will be retained and that's a grand thing as it's a very important element in giving your bike the right feel and profile appropriate for such an elegant classic replica.

Rick C.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep back in post #49 i indicted 2 3/4" may slip, with that power. Bigger pulleys on jack shaft would take care of it, or a third pulley idler to give the secondary drive pulley more belt warp. Yes chain will definitely take care of slipping, love this bike..........Curt

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Yep back in post #49 i indicted 2 3/4" may slip, with that power. Bigger pulleys on jack shaft would take care of it, or a third pulley idler to give the secondary drive pulley more belt warp. Yes chain will definitely take care of slipping, love this bike..........Curt
Curt I remember you mentioning that in a post but forgot it was on this thread. Belt wrap/surface area is so important to belts functioning properly, yet pully larger pully size is sometimes difficult to fit and also retain the proper drive ratios. I'm thinking a 4" might not slip but what that results in drive wise moto needs to calculate. Don't know which would be easier to switch, but with the beautiful primary cover in place no difference to onlookers.

Rick C.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Curt I remember you mentioning that in a post but forgot it was on this thread. Belt wrap/surface area is so important to belts functioning properly, yet pully larger pully size is sometimes difficult to fit and also retain the proper drive ratios. I'm thinking a 4" might not slip but what that results in drive wise moto needs to calculate. Don't know which would be easier to switch, but with the beautiful primary cover in place no difference to onlookers.

Rick C.
Yep, would be a must to change the 6" to bigger pulley also, but chain i think would be easier, just remember to do teeth count and not size..........Curt

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Yes I do remember the post ..Since then I upgraded to a 3 3/4” and slipping to rear sheave stopped . But that’s when the clutch belt started slipping ..I think it was slipping along with the rear belt..lol My new reduction will have removable sprocket and a removable pulley. So I can switch gearing at both ends (ouch) !

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Yes I do remember the post ..Since then I upgraded to a 3 3/4” and slipping to rear sheave stopped . But that’s when the clutch belt started slipping ..I think it was slipping along with the rear belt..lol My new reduction will have removable sprocket and a removable pulley. So I can switch gearing at both ends (ouch) !
I like your plan for the solution especially with simple parts interchange. Quite often my drive ratios so carefully thought out needed two or three sprocket changes to get just right for all around riding enjoyment and joy in use is what I'm about. Substance over style on bikes that are actually ridden and not just garage art. Your bike is art but is built to ride & that's when you know you've done well!

Rick C.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Yes it’s aa secret behind the primary!
Thinking if one wanted to stay with belt serpentine or cog timing belt would be the answer, serpentine is the same as having 5 or 6 belts, depending on 5 or 6 grove choice. That's what Mr.B ended up using, instead of wide flat leather..........Curt
Yes Sir..next I will be looking into using a Ax belt or cogged if needed. Hoping this will do it. I have a heavy duty tensioner which may also come off the shelf if need.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I like your plan for the solution especially with simple parts interchange. Quite often my drive ratios so carefully thought out needed two or three sprocket changes to get just right for all around riding enjoyment and joy in use is what I'm about. Substance over style on bikes that are actually ridden and not just garage art. Your bike is art but is built to ride & that's when you know you've done well!

Rick C.
She is no trailer queen, but can look the part..lol !

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
So Bikes been down waiting for new reduction..it’s coming. Switching from all belt to chain to belt. Looks like I’m going to get in a Halloween ride and a occasional ride during the arctic months..yes!

Attachments