1912 Excelsior Tribute

GoldenMotor.com

fullerg86

Oct 17, 2019
WOW.. that is all I can say initially. haha. What a COOL build. absolutely beautiful. In my opinion the old Excelsior are some of the most beautiful bikes and I dont know why they just stick out with a certain coolness over other bikes and this one is amazing. Wonderful job MotoMagz!
Curt is the gentleman who introduced me to your build and I am glad he did because I have some major studying to do, I would love to take on a project such as this for myself. Do you or anyone else here have any plans/schematics that I could go off of for dimensions of frame/tank. My build is going to be way less professional in the sense of how I am building it. (limited in tools and knowledge and such) but I would like to get as close to a resemblance as possible. Thanks guys...again, wonderful build MotoMagz!!!

fullerg86

Oct 17, 2019
These bikes are one offs. But if you need any measurements let me know. Yep Curt is awesome ! Thanks for the kind words...
Awesome MotoMagz, would you be so kind to give me feedback on your gas tank size for this? How far does the top part of the frame extend down to the lower part of the frame? So from the top part of tank to bottom of tank? Any specific dimensions of the tank would be helpful ;) Thanks again.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
These bikes are one offs. But if you need any measurements let me know. Yep Curt is awesome ! Thanks for the kind words...
Magz one offs are difficult, present challenges, but when you nail one it's tremendously satisfying & I'd hope you are justifiably proud that your concept was so well executed and that took your plan/design, teamwork and excellent communications mixed with skill to get what you wanted, coupled with much patience and many $$….all these paid off with a terrific result !

Rick C.

fullerg86

Oct 17, 2019
Magz one offs are difficult, present challenges, but when you nail one it's tremendously satisfying & I'd hope you are justifiably proud that your concept was so well executed and that took your plan/design, teamwork and excellent communications mixed with skill to get what you wanted, coupled with much patience and many $$….all these paid off with a terrific result !

Rick C.
All the reasons why I want to learn! hehe I would not only like to retain this knowledge so i can build but I would love to be old enough to teach my kids or others all about it. We all gotta do our part :cool:

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Oh ..I do think my bike is pretty special,now ... it took awhile and 100s of people telling me it’s nice.
I’m going to be out in garage tonight and tomorrow working on the bike and installing the new reduction. Getting tons of rain so hopefully Sunday I can take it out and see what she’s got!

Oh I’ll measure tank too. It’s not exact because I extended the tank all the way to the head tube. Excelsior has a space between the two. That’s why it’s a tribute.

fullerg86

Oct 17, 2019
Oh ..I do think my bike is pretty special,now ... it took awhile and 100s of people telling me it’s nice.
I’m going to be out in garage tonight and tomorrow working on the bike and installing the new reduction. Getting tons of rain so hopefully Sunday I can take it out and see what she’s got!

Oh I’ll measure tank too. It’s not exact because I extended the tank all the way to the head tube. Excelsior has a space between the two. That’s why it’s a tribute.
Hopefully the rain holds out or clears up for ya! Were getting plenty of rain this weekend too!

Thanks as well, as long as I can get a rough idea Ill be satisfied. You guys are all awesome to talk to.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
422B7FA0-0422-4E72-9F75-22CB0D24C1D6.png
5EC33EBF-C853-4FE0-9DC4-708C08008F65.jpeg
5671059E-4FCA-4209-9F43-2B878061F162.jpeg
Making some changes.. Well I’m done trying to get worksman drums to stop my bike. Switching to 203mm disc brakes. Just ordered some wide wheels 67mm.Most fat wheel sets have 170mm hubs plus I wanted disc brakes.So going front and rear disc.... should be fun. Rims are double walled 14g spokes hubs are standard 110 and 135. Below is a stock picture of the wheel(s) I ordered. Also if anyone wants to weight in on black or cream tires I would appreciate it. Had the kid. Color the wheels on the computer so I could get a idea of the look. The black makes you look at the frame and the cream makes me look at the tires!

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Though I love the vintage look of drums the disc is so much safer to ride and ride is what a lot of us do. I end up with at least a front disc on all my bikes save one and so it is seldom ridden, just the facts of trying to survive on two wheels. Many of our one off builds are heavy and will really scoot as well and bicycle drums and coasters just can't handle the extra weight and speed so I feel your wise to opt for safety on the X bike. It's still going to look beautiful. I like the crème, but face it black is cool too, more selection of tires in black is one given, but if you have the tread pattern and tire you like in crème why switch? I don't favor crème for chain drive or two cycle use but you don't have that to consider either! Rim color decision after tire color or vice versa.

Rick C.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
The cream tires are Electra vintage thread. They have a weakness which is the thin side walls. Mounting on a wider rim will expose the side wall even more to road hazards. Just another safety item I’m looking into.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Either tyre version looks stunning but Creme de la Cream gets my vote. Even nicer if they're on matching grey painted rims.
I tend to opt for a Sturmey Archer front drum brake on nearly all my builds. Hardly ever felt the need to use the rear coaster brake. And I'll admit there's been a time or two when I've hit the front brake a little too hard and nearly flipped myself riding my Indian boardie tribute. My under construction Blue Bamboo build is in the process of having a rear disc brake added. A first for me.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Thanks! I believe that out of the box that my front and rear 90mmm sturmey hubs worked a lot better at stopping then worksman. After they wear in Workman’s might pull ahead but that’s after 100s of miles of breaking in.
So if the polished aluminum is to much I may paint. Looking to get the wheels close to width of fenders 3”. It’s crazy how different size tires make these wide rims look so different.. Has anyone used those thornproof inserts ? Do they extend down to cover side walls also? Thanks

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Ok cream it is on the tires. The new wheels finally made it from Russia after being lost for a few weeks. Glad the seller packed the wheels for the journey..Along with changing wheels from drum to disc I’m also changing handlebars. The 1” bars have will be replaced with 7/8”. Also will be loosing the inverted brake levers hopefully just for a little while. I need to be able to stop the bull so I will start with Standard disc brake levers. If that goes as planned I’ll be able to try a set of inverted levers.This handlebar switch is another safety move. If I was a welder I wouldn’t be doing this.... that’s a fact! Lol so here’s a few pictures

Attachments