1911 Indian

GoldenMotor.com

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Mounts look sick man, good job :) I really like your work. I hope the rest of the bike holds up to the HP of that engine, I know your mount will :D

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I have a Mikuni 22mm. It looks like a china girl carb but it is bigger, better quality, and you can tune it. It runs off of a throttle cable from the top so you don't need any cumbersome linkage. I read that by adding this carb it has given people up to 1.5 extra hp. I hope my milage doesn't suffer horribly. But then again, I can use pump gas from any station with no pre-mixing. So not as much a problem as living with a 2-stroke.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
The Radiator hose puts the carb where I want it but it collapses under negative pressure at idle. I need to duplicate the bend in metal now and make a carburetor support. I also need to fabricate an exhaust system. I have several ideas on my mind and haven't decided yet which one to do. I liked the Poo Poo pipe I had on the China Girl and was thinking of using the muffler after I make the exhaust opening larger. I have test started it and the engine runs and is powerful, freaking powerful. The Comet clutch works great. Fascinating how the pulleys change sizes before your eyes. It will be cool to show people this feature operate. I estimate I will be on the road within two weeks if not sooner.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I fabricated my metal intake manifold while I came home for lunch today(a 1/14" sink trap) and was tuning the bike and rode down my street (in the rain) just to check things out. Everything is going smoothly. I'll see if I have time to fab an exhaust when I come home from work. The air cleaner is temporary until I figure out something cool to do with it.

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
Great stuff. Sorry if I missed it(it's a LONG thread now), but how are you going to handle starting it? You have a centrifugal clutch, yes? Keeping the recoil?

Just curious.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Very cool look! I like your building talent. Don't have much more to say than just keep giving us pics and telling us what you are doing :) Peace
-LS

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
Ah, I was remembering someone else's build with a max torque.
I see the CVT now. I still don't see a mention of how you're going to start it, though. I did look at Lurker's build. Gonna rope it like he did/does?

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Finished the exhaust! I used the Poo Poo muffler on some electrical conduit I bent. It works great. I cut the whole rear of the muffler off for flow and it is still reasonably quiet. I'm going riding this weekend! :D

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Ah, I was remembering someone else's build with a max torque.
I see the CVT now. I still don't see a mention of how you're going to start it, though. I did look at Lurker's build. Gonna rope it like he did/does?
Right now I'm roping it like Lurker. It looks best by not having the recoil start on it.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I wanted to throw a thanks out to Lurker as it was his bike with the combo of the clone gx200 engine and CVT that inspired me to learn about a great new power plant for the bikes and to AGK (Affordable Go Karts) for having great how-to section at their sight along with great customer service. A video is going to happen. I just need good weather.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
The sky stopped raining and the streets dried up so I took the Indian for a real ride. OMFG! This thing has balls x10!!. Accelerates from a light as quickly as the family car. Had to control my thumb to not take off so quickly as to burn rubber taking off and drift sideways :) . This thing if freaking awesome. The sound the bike makes turns heads. It sounds soooooooo goooooood. I need to look down in front of me about 5 seconds so I can anticipate stops. The brakes are ok if I'm going slowly like I should. I anticipate the brakes would take a year to stop at faster speeds. Basically it is just like operating an old motorcycle. But remember, even salt flat speed record vehicles can't really use brakes above 75 miles an hour. If you are going to go fast, do it in a very safe place. Just because you can go fast as Heck doesn't mean you should. Quickness to legal speed is good enough for me right now. Your mind will look for dodging options because you know you could not stop in time with drum brakes. For what i'm after I'm ok with this. With the china girl engine I had to wait 15 seconds or so and ducking down to reach 30mph. The bike now hits 30 about 5 seconds and is just getting warmed up. The front pulley was changing ratios at 30mph but the rear didn't yet move. The speed potential in mind-numbing. I can ride slowly also. I can put around at 8mph with a 44 tooth chain ring. The slowest I could go with the china girl engine with a 44 is 10mph. Taking off without needing to help pedal is a real pleaser too. The only negative that I could find is that the CVT kicks in at 2200 rpm's, so if you are going 30 and release the throttle and pull the brakes the engine is at idle and you are brakes only to your stop because the clutch is not engaged. So you need to learn to brake while keeping the clutch engaged to slow down quicker. But I will learn this technique as I will take it to work tomorrow as it has pass all of my tests for reliability and toughness. I am totally comfortable with everything now. This engine mod is superb. I HIGHLY recommend it.