1911 Indian

GoldenMotor.com

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Are you tank hangers brass or did you paint them a brass color? I'd like to know where you got them if they are brass. My BTR should be done soon and I need some brass hangers.
They were initially brass painted but they are red painted now with brass screws. I like the look better myself. I used electrical conduit hangers. If you want brass you can do two things. You can get some electrical ones and have them brass plated at a plating shop. Or you can get raw brass hobby sized sheets from ACE hardware and fabricate your own.

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
So how are you liking your tranny? Have you had a chance to realy check it out yet? Been putting off buying one untell I hear how you like it with our motors.

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
Thanks,
I'm up in the air with brass hangers and screws or matching hangers with brass screws. I love the AC Cobra. My father has a Crazy limited 2004 Mustang Cobra, smog legal that did 11.37 in the 1/4 mile. SVT made 60 hard tops and 6 verts. My dad picked up the a red vert. It's a total sleepper! I'm going to get a Replica Cobra after I pay off the Wrangler. Are you going to start another BTR project? You did a graet job hiding the china motor and the Thumper is sick, great idea. Mine won't look as good in the motor department. If you ride at the beach the police are hitting motorbikes hard and there's no way to get away with a 200cc. I'm going with the 50cc 9.4hp Morini.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Thanks,
I'm up in the air with brass hangers and screws or matching hangers with brass screws. I love the AC Cobra. My father has a Crazy limited 2004 Mustang Cobra, smog legal that did 11.37 in the 1/4 mile. SVT made 60 hard tops and 6 verts. My dad picked up the a red vert. It's a total sleepper! I'm going to get a Replica Cobra after I pay off the Wrangler. Are you going to start another BTR project? You did a graet job hiding the china motor and the Thumper is sick, great idea. Mine won't look as good in the motor department. If you ride at the beach the police are hitting motorbikes hard and there's no way to get away with a 200cc. I'm going with the 50cc 9.4hp Morini.
You can have a Moped or Motorbike up to 150cc. As far as everyone is concerned my bike is 150cc and 2hp, within the law. Don't believe me, prove it.
:)

I wanted a Cobra that was as quick as an original 427 in the 1/4, and I wanted really good milage for trips. On the Highway I get 24.7mpg. So I accomplished my goals. I could make it too fast and it wouldn't be as fun to ride and It would lose milage and just sit around a lot. It's fine for a street car.

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi. Your 1911 Indian is very nice. It looks like a very good quality machine. If I remember, the Cobra automobile by Shelby held the record for a production car for many many decades: from zero to 100 mph and back to zero in under ten seconds. It was well balanced with power, suspension and brakes for its time. It had style and good looks too. The Shelby Mustangs were cool too. Thankyou.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Hi. Your 1911 Indian is very nice. It looks like a very good quality machine. If I remember, the Cobra automobile by Shelby held the record for a production car for many many decades: from zero to 100 mph and back to zero in under ten seconds. It was well balanced with power, suspension and brakes for its time. It had style and good looks too. The Shelby Mustangs were cool too. Thankyou.
Yeah, the Shelby Cobra was the first Super Car. Cars before the Cobra were Fast, Powerful, Great Handling, Great Brakes. But the Shelby Cobra was the first car to have all of the above at the same time. It is just a little over 2000 lbs and it goes like stink. I went for a club ride with the local exotica car club. There were many Ferarris, Lambos, Porches, and a Lotus. My car could easily keep up with them in town. Same power to weight ratio or better. And I'm only running 350 hp. Where they cleaned my clock was on the freeway. The Cobra is so un-aero dynamic that it may as well be shaped like a red brick, literally. But it's beautiful. And for the purists out there, 289 HiPo small block cobra is the cobra that won the world sports car championship in 65, not the 427. Shelby never wanted to put the 300 lb. heavier 427 engine into the lightweight cobra but Ford wanted to move lots of cars with it. Shelby wanted to put an all aluminum 390 into it, but it never happened but for one experimental model. With the 427 engine the car could go 15 to 20 mph faster in the straits but ruined the handling in the turns. Happy with my small block engine.

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi. I find the detailed information about Shelby and the cobra very interesting. Thankyou cobrafreak. I like American cars especially the ones built during the space race to the moon. The European cars you mentioned are a different class of automobile. Most or many people like them better. I guess the cobra and corvette were built to compete with those on the race track? Thanks again for letting me dream a little bit and get off the subject of motorized bicycles which I also like more and more as time goes on.

zolson88

Apr 3, 2011
ohio
that comet cvt, looks like the clutch setup for snowmobiles, do you know if they sell aftermarket weights and springs to dial it into your engine size for better performance?

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Man, this thing is looking and sounding good. I noticed you have a digital speedo on your bike and I was just curious as to how fast you've had it up to. We have slightly different setups and I am a pretty light guy so it would be cool to contrast and compare. The car looks good too, it's hard to balance a bike and a car habit. Well at least for me it is.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
that comet cvt, looks like the clutch setup for snowmobiles, do you know if they sell aftermarket weights and springs to dial it into your engine size for better performance?
Yes, it's the same type of CVT, but this one is engineered for Kart Racing. You can hook them up to GX160 and GX200 clone engines. I have not seen different weight sets but I have see different spring sets. I was having trouble accelerating up steep grades because the RPM's were too low, so I read that I needed to adjust the spring. There is a 1-2-3 hole on the driven pulley and you go to the higher numbers if you want higher rpm kick in, so I went from a 1 to a 3 and the issue has been resolved. Remember, this CVT was meant for driving something with 10" tall wheels, not 26" wheels. There is a stiffer spring for the driven that is known as the "yellow" spring. Stock is "green". Basically yellow is like using holes 4-5-6, so yes, you can adjust it however you want.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Man, this thing is looking and sounding good. I noticed you have a digital speedo on your bike and I was just curious as to how fast you've had it up to. We have slightly different setups and I am a pretty light guy so it would be cool to contrast and compare. The car looks good too, it's hard to balance a bike and a car habit. Well at least for me it is.
I have to balance car, bike, wife (not in this order), video games, fire arms, bicycles, dog. I never not have anything to do!

The speedo is for a bike and is removable. It's wireless so it's easy to install and is not an extra wire to mess with. It's good to know odometer and speed readings for service time. I have gone to 45 mph. My rear tire is in really bad shape and I have new rubber a week away, so I'm conservative. I don't really need to go this fast, but it's nice to know you can in an emergency.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Still an incredible build! Nice vid too! You have a great shop and a lot of talent :)
Thanks, I appreciate it. I don't think it's a talent thing though. I just have a habit of watching people do things and it's much easier to do after that. That's how I learned to weld, watching others.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
So how are you liking your tranny? Have you had a chance to realy check it out yet? Been putting off buying one untell I hear how you like it with our motors.
I rode it for 130 miles on saturday and had a great time. Automatic transmissions are the bomb! Power and Torque everywhere. I would definitely buy a Comet again.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I adjusted the spring yesterday on the Comet transmission to give me a higher rpm stall so I would stay in the power band going up steep hills. Well I did some more experimenting today and swapped out my 44 tooth chain wheel for my 50 tooth chain wheel. Wow. It is perfect now. It doesn't rev too high because the transmission doesn't allow it at the speeds I ride at mostly. Quicker off the line and quicker roll on speed. I'm keeping the 50 tooth on. 3500 rpm is 45 mph, 6500 rpm is 83 mph.

Last edited:

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
your work is definitely inspiring, keep the posts up! so far i have the HF engine a welder, angle grinder, band saw, clamps and gloves purchased for the build i will do. you used the hf tube bender with th wheel right? it looks like it got decent reviews for bending 1" tube, what are your thoughts?

no doubts i will be hitting you up for info when i get started. definitely want to get a comet cvt and do a similar spring and sprocket setup. i feel you on the job wife dog other projects thing... its why it is taking me a year to restore my honda, almost done. better get on it though, Texas summer is coming and those can be brutal!!!

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
your work is definitely inspiring, keep the posts up! so far i have the HF engine a welder, angle grinder, band saw, clamps and gloves purchased for the build i will do. you used the hf tube bender with th wheel right? it looks like it got decent reviews for bending 1" tube, what are your thoughts?

no doubts i will be hitting you up for info when i get started. definitely want to get a comet cvt and do a similar spring and sprocket setup. i feel you on the job wife dog other projects thing... its why it is taking me a year to restore my honda, almost done. better get on it though, Texas summer is coming and those can be brutal!!![/QUOTEI

I got the bender without the wheel. It was good for everything except the drop loop which was too much of a bend and required a radius bender, so I used a guys down the street. Before you make your frame make the wheels with tires and get the comet connected to the engine. it will be a lot easier for you. I was lucky because I made a large enough frame to fit everything. If I was an inch too small I would have had to cut and redo much of it. Here is the most important measurement. My bike is 77 inches long (6'5") from end of tire to end of tire. I wish I added 2 more inches to this, but I'm ok. Length is a big deal to making it look right.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
The damn rear band brake died again. The same way too. The friction material chunks off and you suddenly have no rear brake. I thought the first one going was just a fluke but it isn't worth it for me to replace again. I'm upgrading the rear band brake to a mechanical rear disk brake. I can hide the brake in the rear as it is next to the 50 tooth sprocket. I have the conversion parts on order.

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
I wonder if Sportscarpat has a recommendation on brakes that can withstand the added weight and speeds that we are demanding from them whilst maintaining the period look. Maybe using both front and rear drums? I dunno, i am not suprised that it is failing based on the stress vs design.

thanks for the feedback on the measurements and wheelbase, good info sharing there.

guess it would be value added to go ahead and start sourcing parts for the hound then. who did you primarily go through? you mentioned AGK for the comet and springs right? the engine parts from?? i think i would go with the updated flywheel, connecting rod, and piston, the stronger springs, the bigger carb, anything else. cannot remember if you upgraded the bearings or made any other mods due to the angle of the dangle...hehe.

Tom G