1911 Indian

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I love yer bike, Cobrafreak. I seriously do. I cannot wait to hear from Fundreamer about the tank I asked him to make. I don't want to push the guy too hard, but whenever I see a video like that, the itch to ride gets really, really strong. And my bike's gonna be a looker. I wouldn't mind turning a few heads too, as I am sure you have done.

Last edited:

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
gotta have some stills man, checked out your video, very cool. you were moving too fast for any details though. you should do a few color stills with your duds on and some sepia for that "old timey" look!

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I made a cover for the disk to make it appear as if it were a rear drum brake. It's convincing at first glance. I'm going to make a faux torque arm to cover the caliper in the future.

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
hey that is pretty nifty...

once you get her to a point, i meant that you should snap some more stills with the vintage get up and post. The ones I saw still had the china girl...you do great work and I would love to see more of the bike...inspiring indeed.

The welder, grinder, clamps, and other stuff are here from Harbor Freight. My stuff is coming together very slowly. It is starting to get hot already here in Dallas...Texas summers are rough, it makes me miss living in San Diego...it ruined me forever!!

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
My engine chain was not properly adjusted and aligned with my rear wheel, 100% avoidable and my fault. I was not paying attention. The chain came off the rear wheel cog and broke some spokes. No big deal. I fixed the alignment and fixed the spokes. But in order for me to fix the broken spokes I needed to unthread the rear disk brake adapter in order to replace them. In doing so I messed up the threads and ruined the adapter. I believe I found a better part and wanted to list it here for others to see. Here is the link:

Disc Brake Rotor Converter - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S.

Basically it is a better built part. There are more threads to grab onto the threads on the hub. It is larger so that it just is not torquing on the threads, it actually rests on the six bolts that the chain wheel is mounted to, so it is not going anywhere, and it is billet aluminum. Very tuff. I have been using it for a day so far and I believe it is bullet proof. This part is easily double if not triple the duty strength of the first one I used. Oh, here is a helpful tip. When you thread on the adapter and the chain wheel, put a light coating of grease on the threads. It will act as an anti-sieze and prevent damage in the future. :D

Kris Blake

Mar 7, 2011
Riverside, Ca
Hi Cobrafreak, me again...
I just wanted to say thanks for your responses to my previous posts and your advice.

My first build should be done in a month (yeah, we'll see...) and I am using a 30's Villiers 125 cc trials engine. I like the brass air cleaner you made/used. Is that the base of a spitoon?
Also, nice job maching up the engine.
Kris

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I just wanted to say thanks for your responses to my previous posts and your advice.

My first build should be done in a month (yeah, we'll see...) and I am using a 30's Villiers 125 cc trials engine. I like the brass air cleaner you made/used. Is that the base of a spitoon?
Kris
That was a brass ashtray i found at a garage sale. I don't use it now on my new engine. The new engine is a different size and it wont work. I like brass so I'll try to find ideas on what to do for the air cleaner with the GX200.

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX

Kris
Hey Kris, you have a posting going with pics? Those villiers engines look neat, where did you get it?

Kris Blake

Mar 7, 2011
Riverside, Ca
No postings of the build but once it's done I will be sure to show it! $(KGrHqYOKjwE3RPS+NPqBN4b1OOI0Q~~_35.JPG

I had my Morini motor listed on ebay (It was won by one of the people in this thread) and while checking its status I noticed an old motor for sale. It is a perfect start. I am in the process of acquiring an Amal carb and new clutch for her. The ebayer had it listed for 500 and he took my 400 dollar offer. It was semi local so I drove 6 hours to pick it up. Oh, by the way, on my way there I made a pit stop to pick up my donor bicycle; a complete Worksman with great wheels. It was 100 bucks!!! Yahoo! (Sorry)

I ordered the manic hub adapter and and 44T sprocket from Piratecycles but cant seem to locate a front drum hub. They have been out of stock on Worksman wheels forever and they wont answer the phone or return emails. Im just about through with Pirates.

I will buy the complete front wheel if you know where I could get one?

Any tips?

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Kris,
It seems that the company making Worksman wheels closed up and when they sold off their equipment Worksmans wheel making machine was sold as well. It was on loan to them from Worksman.

They were trying to get it sorted out last time I heard but you can call Worksman in New York and order directly from them on week days. They may have wheels back in stock by now.

Steve.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I don't know where to get complete front wheels, but my my front drum is a Sturmey/Archer drum brake with dynamo. You can get it with or without the dynamo. Basically it will power your lights if you have any. As far as I know, it is the only front drum brake that has a dynamo inside it. Shamano makes a front drum brake or a dynamo hub but you can't get them together. I just ordered the S/A dynamo hub from an internet shopping search. I think I got it at universal cycles in England. I took my front and rear hub to a local bike shop and said to make me the strongest wheels he can regardless of weight. I ended up with my black downhill racing rims (aluminum) and laced cross-4 with heavy duty SS spokes. Fit for duty.

RickS

Jan 30, 2011
Speonk, NY
Kris,
It seems that the company making Worksman wheels closed up and when they sold off their equipment Worksmans wheel making machine was sold as well. It was on loan to them from Worksman.

They were trying to get it sorted out last time I heard but you can call Worksman in New York and order directly from them on week days. They may have wheels back in stock by now.

Steve.
I'm not sure who you got this info from, and it may be true, but I spoke with Alan @ worksman a couple of months ago about the possibility of having a wider rim made for motorbikes and such.
I have 2 simplex servi-cycles, and the later models use a 2" wide rim that looks like a worksman wheel, even uses 11 gauge spokes. These wheels are in great demand, as beat up used ones go for $200 and up. As their regular steel rim cost about $30, I thought maybe they could do a run of wider rims for close to the same price. He said he didn't think I would find any manufacturer willing to build the wider rim unless I ordered 10,000 rims! Now, I would be willing to buy 100 rims, but no way 10,000! I asked if the rims were made in the USA as they advertise their bikes as built in the USA. He said almost all of the components come from asia, including the rims. So much for Made In USA.

Kris Blake

Mar 7, 2011
Riverside, Ca
Good stuff everyone, thanks for all the replies. I bought a set of Husky wheels out of desperation last month. When they arrived I immediately regretted it. They look really good. Too good. They look way too modern for my taste. The sturmey Archer hub and brake arm look like they were made for Star Wars.
Needless to say, I'm not using them.
If it were up to me, I would use the wheels and tires that were on this build! WHERE DID THESE COME FROM!!!? WOW! 3-20-11right34.jpg

I will go back to the Worksman site and try again. I couldnt order anything on my last visit. Not too friendly for ordering.

Thanks again,
Kris

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Good stuff everyone, thanks for all the replies. I bought a set of Husky wheels out of desperation last month. When they arrived I immediately regretted it. They look really good. Too good. They look way too modern for my taste. The sturmey Archer hub and brake arm look like they were made for Star Wars.
Needless to say, I'm not using them.
If it were up to me, I would use the wheels and tires that were on this build! WHERE DID THESE COME FROM!!!? WOW! View attachment 36864

I will go back to the Worksman site and try again. I couldnt order anything on my last visit. Not too friendly for ordering.

Thanks again,
Kris
The Sturmey/Archer hub brake looks like "Star Wars", Hmmm, Ok. I think it looks pretty good on my bike. Please move this conversation to another thread. I'm being thread jacked. Thanks.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
RickS,
Some one here posted that they had called Worksman and asked for wheels and that was what they were told.
Someone backed it up and they said they were told it would be a few weeks before they were back in stock.

Steve.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
My Wife asked me what I wanted for my Birthday and I told her I was interested in Stan's NoTubes anti-flat system. If you don't know what it is you need to watch the first video on the page. I hope this guy Stan becomes a millionaire because it is the answer I think a lot of Cyclists and Motor-Cyclists are looking for. If I had not seen the video with my own eyes I would never have believed it.
Movies

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
That would be a great gift, and would preserve her hubby's health and welfare when riding his bike! I would be interested to hear if anyone else on the forum as used this product on their MB and how well it works. Sounds like you have to reseal around every 3 to 6 months. I am curious what kind of build up or gunk it starts to make inside the tire and whether or not this will effect longevity of the rim or rubber...

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I adjusted the spring yesterday on the Comet transmission to give me a higher rpm stall so I would stay in the power band going up steep hills. Well I did some more experimenting today and swapped out my 44 tooth chain wheel for my 50 tooth chain wheel. Wow. It is perfect now. It doesn't rev too high because the transmission doesn't allow it at the speeds I ride at mostly. Quicker off the line and quicker roll on speed. I'm keeping the 50 tooth on. 3500 rpm is 45 mph, 6500 rpm is 83 mph.
I was looking through this thread again and I notice you talked about adjusting your spring on the cvt. Would you care to explain how you did that? I didn't even know that it had the ability to be adjusted. Thanks.