Winter Project, Nirve Switchblade

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Rick,
That's a very good idea and would hide it well but the connections need to be accessable in the event you need to replace the CDI or another component. I could see hiding wires inside the frame tubes too but I've always built with an eye toward easy access and serviceability. Besides, that little round box is sort of neat. One of those things that make people as, "What's that for?" :)
Tom

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Rick,
That's a very good idea and would hide it well but the connections need to be accessable in the event you need to replace the CDI or another component. I could see hiding wires inside the frame tubes too but I've always built with an eye toward easy access and serviceability. Besides, that little round box is sort of neat. One of those things that make people as, "What's that for?" :)
Tom
Dude, this is seriously one of my favorite all time builds.Excellent progress! My biggest goal in a build is to have it as minimally motorcycle-ish as possible. and I mean Wires, cables, mirrors, cords, hoses, etc.. all over the place. In fact I think I'm gonna try for in-frame wiring on the next build (as the bike is a free greenline chopper, and I'm willing to risk the frame cracking down the road) with the exception of the connections. the bb can is a great idea! and I wish I hadnt thrown that one away last month. lol. Anyway, I will repeat, GREAT BUILD! gimme gimme gimme!! hahaha

DTB.wee.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Rick,
Tom
Just talkin bout the majority of the wiring like the wires down the backbone of the bike and the wires that run down the handle bars etc. Oh and that is one great lookin machine hope you enjoy many years of safe riding on it!!!!.shft.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I hate relying on people to do a job. I should have done it myself.
The upholstery guy told me two weeks. Yesteday was two weeks. I called him today to check on the status. "Oh, yeah, well, I haven't gotten to it yet, maybe next week" Arrrrugh!!!!! I'll give him until Wednesday then I'm going to pick up the seat pan and bring it home. The bike is finished except for the seat. Rats! :(
Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I know what you mean Tom, but I also know it will be worth any of the grief when that build is done, that is one nice bike sir.

Map

I hate relying on people to do a job. I should have done it myself.
The upholstery guy told me two weeks. Yesteday was two weeks. I called him today to check on the status. "Oh, yeah, well, I haven't gotten to it yet, maybe next week" Arrrrugh!!!!! I'll give him until Wednesday then I'm going to pick up the seat pan and bring it home. The bike is finished except for the seat. Rats! :(
Tom

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I suspect this won't make the things go any faster, but I just had to say don't say "Next Tuesday" for I suspect you know about the cartoon Popeye and the character Wimpy with respect to having a hamburger today!

MT

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I went by the shop yesterday, the seat pan was laying right where I left it three weeks ago. He hadn't touched it AND, he says he'd need another $100 on top of what he quoted me.
I picked up the seat, said, "In your dreams" and walked out. Anyone in Denver needs upholstery work done DO NOT go to ABZ Auto Upholstery. What a jerk!

I'm going to try it myself. I'll keep you up on the progress.

Tom

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Doh! And I thought I was a slacker... not a crook though... some people's kids :p

What do you think about pre-drilling your seat plate for rivets instead of hogs? Might have to put the wifey to work to hold the leather over the foam while you do it, or a couple clamps.

I read something a while ago about for getting lines in the leather, use a soldering iron to make grooves in the foam and the leather will settle. (read not tried)

Just food for though, but I'm sure there's better ways to do it. :p

Best of luck!

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
NEVER AGAIN :(

I swear, If I ever need anything done again, I'll learn to do it myself if I don't already know how. I'm soooooooooooooo Pi$$ed.

The second upholstery guy has had my seat pan for two weeks yesterday. I called him and he promised the seat would be ready for me today. I drove 40 miles to his shop and all he has done is the foam glued on. He said he can't find the chrome buttons. He's had two weeks to look for them and waits until the day before I'm supposed to pick up the seat to start looking for them. Now he says it'll be Monday or Tuesday, maybe.

I told him I'll be at his shop Monday and if my seat isn't done I'm taking it no matter what he has done.
I should have done it myself.

Note to self: Never, ever rely on other people.

Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
All I can say is... wow that is ridiculous. Just get it back and do it yourself. No need to go through this if you don't have to

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
First of all Tom, I'm sorry to hear the seat troubles have continued, hope this gets resolved quickly and you get the seat finished.

I know exactly what you mean about trusting others sometime, we request a product or service that we fully intend to pay them well for and then they almost treat you as if you owe them something and they have zero or next to zero consideration for you or your needs that they are getting paid to provide.

There was a time in this country when a fellas word & a hand shake actually meant something, NO longer is this the case for the most part, people have become selfish inconsiderate small measures of what the American working man used to be, that is very sad in my opinion, priorities and morals in our country have slumped to a sad low in so many ways..... it's very sad when we look around and see just how much most people could care less about anything or anyone but themselves.

My best to ya Tom, can't wait to see that build complete.

peace, Map

NEVER AGAIN :(

I swear, If I ever need anything done again, I'll learn to do it myself if I don't already know how. I'm soooooooooooooo Pi$$ed.

The second upholstery guy has had my seat pan for two weeks yesterday. I called him and he promised the seat would be ready for me today. I drove 40 miles to his shop and all he has done is the foam glued on. He said he can't find the chrome buttons. He's had two weeks to look for them and waits until the day before I'm supposed to pick up the seat to start looking for them. Now he says it'll be Monday or Tuesday, maybe.

I told him I'll be at his shop Monday and if my seat isn't done I'm taking it no matter what he has done.
I should have done it myself.

Note to self: Never, ever rely on other people.

Tom

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Hey 2door

Been there done that.

I can say I do most of my fabrication myself, but a place to do the work I paid for the monthly fees and the $&^* there says stuff like you’re doing too much grinding. I later find that a fan was out and that is why the guy was upset at me. Later while gathering stuff to line up my bosses I am welding for v-brakes on my frame in the weld shop, the guy say so this is where you’re storing your stuff, I say no. There always trying to sell you a cubby hole for hundreds a month… get ^%^& out!

Hey there are places and people who there are choice words I suppose, but do it yourself and away from them has got to be way better.

So anyway you have a real nice machine coming together and despite this ^#^$% it will be ace!

MT

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Was it worth the wait? It surpassed my expectations.

More pictures tomorrow. It got dark on me today. Sorry. It's supposed to be sunny and warm tomorrow. I'll take the completed bike out in the sun and let you see how it came out.

Tom

Attachments