Winter Project, Nirve Switchblade

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've been looking at this bike, Nirve Switchblade, for a couple of weeks. Then, I was watching old music videos and saw the Easy Rider clip of Captain America, Fonda's ride in the movie. I thought, how neat to build a motor bike that would have the look and flavor of that icon of motorcycles.
I got a good deal. End of season and it had a scratch in the lower right chain stay. $100 off the price. I couldn't pass it up. I'm not thrilled with the color but if all goes as planned the bike will be red, white and blue when it's finished anyway so who cares what color it is now.
I'll keep you posted.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightster

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks, Ale.
I'm not shooting for a clone bike, just something recognizable as looking like the original. I had to sell one of my old favorites to make room for another bike but it's going to a friend and neighbor who's an avid motorcyclist and mechanically talented. It's going to a good home and will be just down the street.
I'm anxious to get started. Looks like a fun project.
Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
What bike did you sell Tom? The Jag? That is a nice Nirve, I'm sure that will look sweet at the cruises. Keep me updated with this one. . . (^)

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Captain America was my dream motorcycle after seeing Easy Rider (I was like 9-10, I think)

what a cool bike to emulate !!!

I am definitely following this thread,,,

Thanks for bringing back fond memories (I had a stingray that my dad extended the forks and painted in the red, white n blue pattern because I liked Cap'n so much ;))

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Worked on the rear engine mount today. I used a piece of 1/4" wall 'C' channel which will be welded to the frame as soon as I talk myself into grinding off that new paint. I'll probably do that tomorrow. My wife says she doesn't want to watch.

The photos are self explanatory.

Attachments

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
hey 2 door, whats up there, hows it goin, i just wanted to write in here cause i been kinda silent latley-lol, but, well i know u have a vision in your mind, and im not 100 percent sure what your doin here yet, but i was lookin at that rear bracket you made and was thinking if you welded 2 little tabs on the top and bottom of that braket then it would be like a kustom clamp then, maybey fabricate a back bracket that fits together to the front peice, then it will look like a flate block of metal, finish it off with some acorn or spike bolts, just throwin an idea in there, and to say the bike is badass. i been lookin at that bike for a long time, and i seen venice and some other guys with some really kool builds with that frame,allso curious, you gonna make the top tube the tank? that would be smooth. either way,axious to see how this one turns out, rock on....

broke and hungry

Aug 21, 2011
Springfield Missouri
Might I suggest that you have the frame sand blasted and then power coated white for a base? Just saying. Looks great and best of energy on your build. Cheers!

Worked on the rear engine mount today. I used a piece of 1/4" wall 'C' channel which will be welded to the frame as soon as I talk myself into grinding off that new paint. I'll probably do that tomorrow. My wife says she doesn't want to watch.

The photos are self explanatory.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks guys. That 9/16" offset needed to clear that 3" wide rear tire made it necessary to come up with a weird sort of mount. I did grind off the paint later today, tack welded the mount to the frame and everything fits like I wanted it too.
I'm still 'engineering' the front mount but I think I'm going to do a tubular thing that will be integral to the down tube and the frame just behind the crank. It has to have a swoopy-curvy look to keep with the rest of the frame and look like it belongs there.
More later.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Finished the engine mounts. The front is a length of 1" steel tube curved back under the engine to meet the seat tube. It has a little 'Z' bend to make up for the engine offset but you really don't see it.

I started on the seat frame. I used 3/8" cold rolled round stock to form the shape. It will have a plywood base which the upholstery will attach to. I cut about 2" off the seat tube to get the saddle part as low as I could. I'm planning on 4" thick high density foam and black vinyl covering. Having it uphostered will probably be the single most expensive part of this build. I'm setting aside a couple of hundred for the seat.

I'm really getting static from the wife. She can not believe I'm grinding, welding and cutting on a brand new $600 bike. She wants me to keep that awful gold paint. Yuk! It looks like something you'd find in a diaper to me. Red white and blue, here we come.
Tom

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
That's going to be one heck of a nice seat Tom, far more fitting than any bicycle seat could ever be! Love the Easy Rider chopper pics in the background ;)

Question tho - have you tried upholstering before? It's a bit of a pain, but smaller projects are sometimes easier than they appear...

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Tom, I have a poster in the shop of Fonda and Hopper ridin'. Quite a nostalgic movie. I was in the good old USMC when it came out and it was a big hit and the base movie theater. I also have a chopper I would like to start reworking maybe this winter. Need better wheels/tires and a new gas tank. We'll get SB off to a good start and maybe start on it later in the winter. I'll be watching and good luck, Dan

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If I have the support of guys like Silver Bear and Tinsmith, I can't fail. I spent the day working on the seat. I'm bending the 3/8" plywood for the curved portion, it's soaking in hot ammonia water now. I used the kerf method, making slices across the width. I'll clamp it to an old rim tomorrow and let it dry. I'll post a photo when the seat is framed up.
Thanks guys.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited: