what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Skarrd, Oct 25, 2010.

1. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

did some changing on the newest green used to be a fixie bike, drive sprocket needed to be flipped over so offset would give more clearance between chain and tire, the 700c fixie frame is narrower than other frames Im accustom to dealing with and chain started making contact with frame now and then when chain was going through it initial stretching stage, that problem is solved now.

while I had rear wheel off, I decided to remove the single speed 24T freewheel because the one I used was one of the "Great Wall" branded ones and after only about 20 miles of use it was show signs of trouble, the Dicta Brand thats made in Taiwan is a good brand but stay away from the china made Great Wall brand, they're junk as I quickly found out, by the way "Sunlite" bicycle parts brand uses the better Dicta freewheel sprockets.

I replaced the single freewheel with a 5 gear multi speed freewheel, the chain aligned perfectly with second to largest sprocket and time it was all buckled up I didn't need to use the pedal side tensioner I had made for it either so that was nice, bothchains tighten equally now with no indler/tensioner on either chain.

I also drilled two 5/16" holes in exhaust end cap to help flow a bit, I took bike out to do a top speed on the flat test run and I guessed just right on what I kinda thought it was doing, that little mildly built GT5 is pushing that bike dead on 40mph with a 41T rear sprocket, NT carb and kit exhaust pipe that's had the flange ID reshaped to limit restriction by matching the port better.

I didn't use one of my better jugs on this engine that has much nicer ports than the one I did use, it has one of the medium sized port jugs with the slanted/cat eye transfers, I did spend some time cleaning the ports up and getting all the castinghumps and bumps out of all the ports, it has a "Fred Piston" in it with shallow ramps at transfers and I shaved the jug deck to give better compression and it has .025" squish clearance with the square Pedal Chopper type head.

This engine doesn't have the grunt power that my GenIV dax engines have, but its every bit as smooth running and considering how its set up, Im really impressed with it, each time I take it out its running a little better, Im not sure what vendor this engine lower originally came from but its a good one, mg coil was stamped 2012 so its not a new model like the ones dax is selling now and I hope those lowers run as smooth as this one does, this GT5 engine is the smoothest running engine Ive had outside of the dax GenIV lowers.

I've decided Im not selling the Green bike at least for now....lol!

2. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

After working on the Green bike, I rolled the old Huffy Karaoke bake into shop for some needed maintenance, noticed rear wheel bearing need adjusted and its sorts a mess, needs some TLC been on these rough dusty dirt roads a lot since I built it up goingon 5 years ago now, it has around 800 miles on it now and has never had a single mechanical issue with the bike itself, the engine is a big front mount engine from BGF that runs good but needs a good cleaning, Im thinking I may strip this one down and thoroughly clean it up and put it up for sale, gonna make up a strong layback seat post for it since those Huffy frames are so short coupled, who knows, it may get a new engine while Im at it since the old BGF engine is a jack hammer above 32mph and only comfortable to ride at speeds below what I like to cruise at on my multi mile road trips, tires are showing so weather cracking also, so they'll get replaced and the bike will get some new shoes.

Planning a couple other changes for the old Huffy also, time will tell what I manage to get done with the junk I have laying around.

#7782 mapbike, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  3. boxcar

boxcar New Member

Almost finished with the new bike trailer . 100 more feet of 1/4 " rope and it'l be ready to go.......

4. Intrepid Wheelwoman

Intrepid Wheelwoman New Member

I rode down to the township on my Hercules trike for the first time in ages and I enjoyed every minute of it. People kept coming up to me while I was doing some grocery shopping to say that they hadn't seen my tricycle in town for a long time and it was nice to see it again.

5. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Cant wait to see what you have done boxcar.

Hope you'll share some pix when you get it finished.

#7785 mapbike, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  6. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Thats great, glad you had such an enjoyable time on the trike and made some others smile in the process...

Here in rural small town Texas we'd say you just had yourself a YEE HAW....moment!

If you have hanging around in your computer, share with us a pic of the three wheeled coach you speak of, I know I'd love to see it and I'm sure others would as well.

Shan

7. Intrepid Wheelwoman

Well I had a hunt around and found a picture of the bicycle I used as the basis of the build around five years ago. There's two pictures of how my trike looked when it was newly built and the one with the windscreen is how my trike looks now.

Attached Files:

8. Chainreaction

Chainreaction New Member

Worked on installing freewheel on one-piece crank, there doesn't appear to be anything manufactured to do this. It has taken some head scratching and a good amount of parts modifying but I think I have a solid fix.

9. Semaj

Semaj Electric Enthusiast

Mind you all texans might not feel the same way about the exlamations no matter how cliche they may be. ;)
    Im glad you had a good time in town, Post up that eye candy!\

edit: Dag nabit, im too late, you already did :p

what do you reccomend in the way of wind screens for those of us thinking about adding them to our rides?

#7789 Semaj, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  10. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

So is it still electric powered or have you gone back to pedal power only?

Thats a nice looking bike I Ww

11. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Pix and more info when you can would be great Cr.

12. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

You did see where I said "small town rural Texas"didn't you?

Some of us dyed in the wool country folks that live just a little North and West of where you are in big city Austin still carry on the country folk way of looking at things and the way our parents and grandparents talked, come on up to this part of the state and hang out at a goat cook off, brisket cook off, stock show, rodeo, tractor pull, hunting camp or our annual Rattle snake round ups and you'll hear Yee Haw among many other words and phrases along those lines before you leave...LOL!

We love every type of Texan and those elsewhere for that matter but we also say when it comes to our way of talk and thinking that city folks just don't get it....LOL!

We aint dumb hicks by any means but we enjoy country living and the simple things in life and many of us carry on the talk and traditions of the kinfolks that came before us because we truly believe their way of living and thinking was a lot better than what is considered mainstream this day and time.

So I'll say a big Yee Haw and a Howdy doo to you my fellow city slicker Texan....!

I can do the city things too, but I'm gonna countyfy it a little because that just makes it more fun...
    dance1

13. Semaj

Semaj Electric Enthusiast

LOL Mapbike, I moved up here from down near Corpus 3 years ago. raised my whole life in south texas(Bishop, near kingsville 3k pop, que Dramatic thunder and violins)... oddly no accent. anyhow. No Issues with the country way if you will :)

#7793 Semaj, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  14. Intrepid Wheelwoman

Thanks mapbike :)

My trike is at a halfway stage to being converted over to an electric motor instead of the hub motor it had before. At the moment it's pedal only, but that will change soon I hope. After a lot of use my trike's not quite as shiny as it used to be and is acquiring its own patina. My dilemma at the moment is to decide whether or not to let that state continue or to restore it back to being all shiny again.

Semaj, - I purchased that windscreen from a trader in China, but last time I checked he wasn't stocking them anymore.

15. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Oh yeah.... didn't mean to come across negative toward you in any way, just having a little fun, there are a lot of good folks around here in this area that dont do the country ways because being raised in the near by Town of Brownwood at pop 20,000 roughly they dont know squat about country living.

I'm just a country fella that likes the old ways and country living, I'm a steel horse rider, hunter, fisherman, gardener, wood cutter, ammo reloader, welder, wood worker, lover and a fighter but not a wild bull rider and not a "Cowboy" by especially todays definition which is a perverted version in many ways just like the music they call country music nowadays, which isn't at all in my opinion since its just watered down pop music about cheating and drinking with a fake country twang for the most part being sang by people that couldn't make it in real pop music or good ole Rock-n-Roll, yeah this can open a big can of worms but I just call it like I see it....LOL!

If you ever ride your bike up to the Brownwood area give me a holler and if I'm able we'll go for a motorized bike cruise, I'm a God fearing Red Blooded American and I like anyone else that is the same, I'm sure we'd have a great time chewing the fat and taking a cruise on the motorized bikes, just don't put on not Jason Aldean or crap like that or you might get a hole shot through they stereo...LOL!!!!

Peace, Map

#7795 mapbike, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  16. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Concerning the windscreen, I have thought about making me one out of a piece of Lexan which would actually be easy to do.

Maybe I'll get a chance to work on that sometime.

Well, just do the bike however you will like it the best, i think it looks good with the petina and I think it would be just fine if it was brought back all nice and shiny, either way its a nice trike build and I'm sure when you get done it will be even nicer.

17. Rudz

Rudz New Member

My gf is from North East Texas, accent and all. So peaceful out there compared to California.

18. Scott.D.Lang

Scott.D.Lang Member

What did I do today not much to tell the truth but over the last week Ive started recieveing all the parts for Mark II of Ol'Blue. Now its time to find the small nickel and dime things for the build and for dude to get my custom forks built. Also after last night I have a frame in mine for the Trike rear set up I have will be posting pics of Ol'Blue and the frame that dude is going to make for me in the next few days. with the frame I will be asking for ideas from everyone on how they might build on this frame.

19. boxcar

boxcar New Member

Here ya go Map:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

20. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Very nice......trailer boxcar

What type of hitch you have set up for it?