What brand of engine does weedeater use?

GoldenMotor.com

WaterDog

Sep 12, 2010
Miami / Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Im looking to buy a 25cc weedeater brand weed wacker and use the motor for a friction drive. Im trying to figure out what brand of engine they use. Basically i need to know if that brand will fit the various friction mount kits or if I am going to have to craft my own kit. Thanks!

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Im looking to buy a 25cc weedeater brand weed wacker and use the motor for a friction drive. Im trying to figure out what brand of engine they use. Basically i need to know if that brand will fit the various friction mount kits or if I am going to have to craft my own kit. Thanks!
I''ll have to look at mine. Searching, it seems most use a Ryobi
Here is a Ryobi engine

Attachments

Last edited:

WaterDog

Sep 12, 2010
Thanks for the pictures! Is the drive shaft really that long? If so, I can craft a roller with no problem. I saw somewhere on google that they were all poulan engines. Doesn't really matter since its new and I assume any name brand will be fairly reliable. Am really excited if the drive is that long. That'll save a lot of extra work. Any other advice on the weedeater brand engine would be appreciated.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Thanks for the pictures! Is the drive shaft really that long? If so, I can craft a roller with no problem. I saw somewhere on google that they were all poulan engines. Doesn't really matter since its new and I assume any name brand will be fairly reliable. Am really excited if the drive is that long. That'll save a lot of extra work. Any other advice on the weedeater brand engine would be appreciated.
There is a "foot" or bell housing, that is between the engine and shaft housing (the long arm). The cable slides into the shaft. So the drive shaft has to be longer then on a normal engine. The end of the shaft should have a square or hex, where the flexible cable is inserted.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
You can call them Poulan if you wish, but it's not a 100% correct. Weedeater, Poulan, McCulloch, Jonsered and Husqvarna are all the same company now and have been for years except for McCulloch that's been a fairly new addition. the company is Electrolux Sweden. Although everything is probably made in China. As is most everything these days.

Sorry in 2006 Electrolux went through a name change and was called Husqvarna AB.

Last edited:

twaddy38

Mar 10, 2012
lempster,nh
what the **** happened to that bumblebee frictiondrive unit i bought and paid 300 clams for.??? The roller was chew up in a matter of minutes!! I contacted the guy in Florida who makes and sells them and asked for a refund.. He would not refund my money;told me the drive was not tight enough against the wheel. It was; I tightened it up (bungee cord of all things) what a rip off... DON<T PURCHASE A BUMBLEBEE> THEY ARE CRAP!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
lol

Well there's the first bumblebee complaint I've seen!

...it's bound to happen...
I don't think I would have asked for a refund, but maybe a new roller...

The website seems like its a nice little business trying to make a buck in cheapo transportation. Ain't nothin' perfect on the low rungs of the ladder! lol

Shouldn't be too difficult to fab another roller for it.
There's plenty of threads here on various materials that have been used.

and to the OP, I'd grab whatever kinda string trimmer someone would give away, or a running one for real cheep, and go from there.

Not really a need to spend hundreds of dollars for a little fun bike.

Good luck
rc

twaddy38

Mar 10, 2012
lempster,nh
Thanks RC for the imput... He obviously won,t refund my money... I am so damn mad... I installed the thing on the fron t wheel of my Huffy Crusier and it just ate the roller up like dirt to dust!!!.. I never saw anything like it. Only went 1 mile or less to try it out.. Disappointed.. I could have peddled faster. Seems like the motor was puttngi out power for sure but none was being transferred to the tire. If i used a steel roller ;; perhaps that would work, but what about slippage or tire wear with that rig? Twaddy38

twaddy38

Mar 10, 2012
lempster,nh
so mad my spelling sucks.....crazy fingers are gone beserk and so have i... will throw that damn motor in the lake today if i don,t send it back quick

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Well don't pitch it, T ! May of us would LOVE to have that little power unit!!!

These little motor bikes are frustrating because we are trying to get so much from a rather small package. Many of us think it's fun to sort out all the little problems.
It's a whole lot cheaper fun than custom motorcycles or hot rods!

AND, they are a small package!

If you are stressed about it, drain the fuel, bundle it up in the corner, and throw a tarp over it for a while. As the WX gets nicer, chances are you'll go back to it and we can help you figure out a solution.

It would be helpful for you to read some of the threads on drive rollers...

Best
rc

WaterDog

Sep 12, 2010
I wish you luck...that's looks like the identical engine. The mount screws are so far apart but that may be a good thing for stability. First thing I'm going to try is to craft the metal engine frame with a suitable mount for my bike. Ill post pics as I go.