welder

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Gonna get this to make mufflers, but do you guys think it could also work for a "ground up" frame? only 1/2 and 7/8ths though. 1/2" x 7/8" 2-in-1 Tubing Bender

For the mufflers, this is almost perfect. I actually need 3/4s but will try jury rigging some thing. But gonna look into your links BA. Some great stuff

Oh, above was sort of an inside joke. Poor BA had to re-title a contest thread of mine 3 or 4 times. Started out as a HF thing then went to any MB then "Honda civics, motorized skate boards, bionically enhanced farm animals... about there, BA gave up and went with "...or any thing with a motor" hehe, and I stole the "skate boards and Honda civics" line from him.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Lol, Color TV: My aunt & uncle had the first one I'd ever seen. It wasn't as much color as it was shading...there was a blue band across the top of the screen (sky) a pink band in the middle, (faces) and a green one near the bottom (grass) everything else you sort of had to use your imagination.
Remote controls: My folks had one of the first generation contollers that had little tuning forks inside and when you punched a button it made little tones that the TV was supposed to respond to. The problem was the TV would get confused and change channels or turn the sound up and down if it heard my mom rattling dishes in the kitchen or someone dropped their keys or the doorbell rang. Ahhh, 50s technology.
Cartoons: Computer generated cartoons are not cartoons. Cecil & Beanny were cartoons and so was Quik Draw Mc Graw, Yogi & Boo Boo, and all the rest of that great kid entertainment we all remember...well, Sam, (Weekend Fun) won't remember them but many of us will.
Tom

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
2door, I'll will agree that most computer generated cartoons suck, I do love south park. Not very kid oriented, but that show cracks me up.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
For not for lil folks, I really enojy "Adult-swim" on the cartoon network. On after 11 and is hysterical. Some great stuff. Some real junk too. Fox's Sunday night line up is the only day of the week I knock off early (8PM) and just sit and watch TV. American Dad, family guy and of course the classic Simpsons. In my life time, they went from hand drawn to computer generated. Just amazes me.

Hey! I still have a "Saturday morning" sort of thing. kool

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Okay, let's see just how old you are: Sky King. What was his niece's name? What did he fly and what was the name of his ranch? Who was his sponsor?
Wow, a long way from welding but Dan's threads always seem to go in this direction. Don't know why but I love it :)
Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
OK 2Door one of them is Penney Songbird and well that's all I got at the moment.;)

Hey B.A. if you get a chance to try the sand method with that bender please let me know how that works? We musta been using thicker tubing back then:oops:

I am currently looking for a bender myself.. I had read in that other forum briefly about them. I was too busy studying welding. design and metallurgy there.

Hurricane here is the only pict I got of my dogs at the moment. The old Yeller looking one is hid behind the table. They don't like the cold very well that was lettem them out in the morning lol. http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f15/7410d1239603318-sbp-jack-shaft-rules-picture-001.jpg

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Sorry Goat, it's highly unlikely I'll be tryin' that trick anytime soon w/that pipe bender lol - not only do we have a gigantic hydraulic mandrel bender in storage that I've been tryin' to get out into the shop, but all those links were for a buddy who also works there & wants us to have a real tubing bender, if a bit more portable...

So... if they "discover" a cheat that works, we'll never get past this laff

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Har, lol GH. Is hysterical when they don't want to touch the ground and seem confused by their own walking. Shelly hates rain, hoses or any thing water related. Will "hold it for a day" rather then go out in the rain. But snow! Wohoo, thats play time. She is a great snow ball target (lightly tossed of course) and will play for hrs. Runnin' barkin' and taunting you to get one near her. Is so much fun. Loves when ya dump a shovel full over her head. All wheel drive and no wheel stop, snork. She, soaking wet with snow and ice attached tries to run in the house on hardwood floors and linoleum. Wipes out at least twice on the way in all excited to chat with Mommy and Mrs. Ma. (Carol and her Mom)

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Got a proper angle grinder just now. Wire brushed some of the welds I did on the muffler. Not at all bad for a first attempt. all were closed unions and a few more tries, and will look better. Only a few spots that should be ground down. Wish I got one long ago. Really, for $315 bucks, more then gonna pay for it self.

Tomorrow, gas bottle.

OH! after brushing the brass fitting/EMT union, it mated really well. The union is thinner and it really welded well. Will get close ups if any one wants.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yeppers Hurricane, dat be me. Round yellow head and aviator's goggles.

Thing about that poor SOB's vid (son of a bicyclist) is the walking under a car held aloft by a chain. Of all the things I miss about beer, (sniff) doing stuff like that is not one of them. Not much concern for the camera guy/gal either

Thanks for your help there and here.

Gonna try the purge tank welding on aluminum. Will report. Hoping it is another just not often tried thing and works.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Not sure I understand your question. 100% argon and correct polarity according to the manual.

Will not be doing much more then practicing beads for a while. gonna try making another muffler today. For the cost, is not terrible if I make scrap. (leave off the "S" for savings!) Working on "pretty" & no brass in this one, is the goal.

Yeha! love Saturdays. Wont really know what I am gonna do until I get out there.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Yea you got it correct,its just that alum. welding wire is pretty soft and has a hard time feeding thru the liner and wire feeding rollers. Thats why people use spool gun attachments on wirefed welders.
There are alumnium specific rollers for alumnium also, long with teflon linings, fitted my mates Lincoln with them few months back.

KiM

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
My applogies i haven't kept up to date with the thread i missd the exact machine, lot of off topic rants sort of put me off LoL.

KiM

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
From one of the reviewers on that link stated that HF did not sell consumables for it, so make sure you have access to someone that does sell them before your purchase. That way you know you will have parts available to you when needed. Tips tend to go bad on plasma cutters in a short time when misused.
That's some good advice. If you do end up getting this one, at least try and find a source online, if not local, and go ahead and get a extra tip or two. The tips last a long time when used properly. You may have to hit it with a file to clean it up every now and then, but when not used properly, they won't last long at all.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
In thinking about it all day Sunday and needing a mill 2ce, gonna put it on hold. Holidays including Carol's B-Day are here. Really can do or cut every thing with tools on hand. Be sweet but is more a want then a need,

Found some jeweler's glasses. Wow, my welds suck. My friends is fugley and my wife is hot. But beat the dawg mucus out of some test pcs I had done with a small sledge. They are ugly but man do they hold. Was amazed at the brass 2 steel one. (oddly, the best looking one) It looked like they melted into each other and is, at the weld, more brass colored then steel and more steel colored then brass. dunno.

Also wanted to ask, welds look "splatered" Sort of lil molten balls around them. Can this be beaten off with a welder's hammer while still hot? They don't want to cold! Will do some more studying. Don't ya enjoy new folks? lol

I had been making the shape of dimes. Full circles, not zig zaging.
Just found this and wanted to put it some where I could find.
"rivetgeek says:
Heres an old welders trick for mig spatter, cooking spray. Just spray the whole area with pam or some sort of non-stick cooking spray and the tiny beads wont solidify on the metal because they vaporize the spray on contact with creates a tiny gas shield under the bead as it cools. As an added bonus, welding now smells delicious."
Could be functional and funny

just found this; http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/basicMIG/index.htm Is pretty good

Last edited: