Villiers beach cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Are you seriously looking at getting one, or 4? Dont know whether you are serious or joking with me........They are a really beautiful looking bike. And sound just as good.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I'm joking with you. As much as I'd like one the cost is probably close to $2,000 landed here in B.C. I had a James that had a 98cc Villiers and I sorta remember it going between 50 and 60 miles an hour. It wasn't a slouch by any means.

Having said that who knows if someone has one that was reasonable I might be in for it but then I need a motorcycle license and at 67 and not good on my feet they probably wouldn't give me one either. Over here if it has a manuel clutch and over 50cc it's a motorcycle. I have no idea why.

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
We have those same rules here unfortunately. And not only that all internal combustion engined bicycles are banned also.

And im building a number of bikes that i may possibly be not able to ride. Ill try until i get caught and the fines become too much.

So ive been thinking about an idea for a future build so i can ride it legally (sort of.... not really). You and Silverbear suggesting me to use moped wheels got me thinking.... i may buy an old cheap moped and register it (if it isnt already). And then cut the headtube with VIN on it and use other parts (hubs, etc) and build a MB around that with a bigger motor. The engine/chassis numbers wouldnt match, but if i made a vintage looking bike and behaved myself i think i would get away with it. I would have to run headlights and the rest obviously.

And even if a policeman realised my bike was illegal, and ordered it off the road i would be no worse off then just building a MB. Just the cost of rego and the cost of the moped, which i see many cheap ones quite often.

I do have a few motors i have to choose from to do it.....
Honda GX160 (was going to put it in my Indian build)
2 more Villiers 98cc
Victa 160cc

Cam Nz

May 14, 2011
Whangarei, New Zealand
and then cut the headtube with VIN on it and use other parts (hubs, etc)
I would copy the engine number, and stamp it into the block, over here they don't look twice when you go to register it, and no such thing as a warrant.

I suggest using suzuki FA50 or honda cub wheels, as they are spoked and look cool, also they are a bit tougher than bike wheels,

As for riding it illegally, well they can only fine you so much, and you have to make up your mind whether you think its worth it or not, however over here i would just ride it as a bicycle, with a helmet and behave responsibly.

Hope that helps dude,

Cheers, Cam.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah stamping the new block probably isnt a bad idea.

What diametre are the FA50 or cub rims? If i did do this project i have 2 Velocity double walled downhill rims that would be more then strong enough, and just use the hubs. Unless they are 26". IMO the bigger diametre the wheels the better the bike looks....

Hows things on your project? Are you going to start a thread? If not feel free to post a few pics on this thread,there would be many people on here keen to see it. Its a very original build.....

Cam Nz

May 14, 2011
Whangarei, New Zealand
Yeah if you fill and paint over the original numbers they really don't look twice.

There is two FA50 wheels at work that belong to my mates FA50, ill check tomoro but i think they are around 20" wheels, with drum brake centres, im not sure about cub rims but i know they are bigger.

Well ill go grab some food, and start a thread, i also wouldnt mind going and seeing the chap about the second motor later on in the day.

Cheers, Cam.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Sounds good bro, im keen to see your thread.

Im looking at getting another slant head 98cc Villiers. I won an auction on EBay last week (maybe longer ago) for a Villiers/Atco cylinder mower for $50 but he isnt returning my messages for pickup. I did message him before end of auction and arranged a late pickup as i was working that weekend, he said it was fine as it wasnt in his way. Well hopefully he is just busy.... im keen to get that motor.

Anyway im looking forward to your thread. And look forward to sharing ideas....

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Regarding the moped hubs... if you find ones with 36 spokes, the same as a cruiser wheel, then you can just use the hubs in the bigger wheel and lace in thicker spokes. That's what I did for my Indian/Villiars build later this summer. 1952 Schwinn rims in great shape and hubs from an AMF moped with 11 gauge spokes. All that's left is truing them up.
That autobyke will do 55mph? It must have the two speed transmission. I'll be happy with 30 or 35mph and the ability to climb a hill. Sure would be nice to find one of those transmissions reasonably priced.
Looking forward to your thread Cam.
Fasteddy. I am so disappointed. I was thinking perhaps you bought four of those autobykes, one for each of us. I'm sure they would make nice gifts in case you win the lottery.
SB
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Fellas, I promise you that if I do hit the lottery not only will we be ridding Autobyks but it will be on our own private South Sea Island which may not be a big thing to those of you in the Southern Hemisphere but for SB and I that would be the ultimate happiness.

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Ive laced all my wheels on all my MB and its pretty easy. I had no idea how to do it.... but the shop wanted $100 a wheel so i youtubed it....... obviously as long as the hubs and rims have the same number holes. I think even if the spoke thicknesses are different tou can drill out your hub or rim to suit.....

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I laced my first set of wheels this winter and it is something I wanted to learn how to do for a long time now. I googled the subject and found some nice U tube tutorials on how to go about it. I used what is called a four cross pattern with 12 gauge spokes 10 5/8 inches long. I had drill out the bike rim spoke holes for the larger spokes and nipples. They are together, the rims are painted and will go on my Indian later this summer. I have yet to true the wheels, but will as soon as I come up with something to use as a truing stand for the wider moped hubs. I will also need to spread the axle drop outs on the Worksman to accommodate the wider hub. But those big old beefy drum brakes look so good and retro. contributing to that "motorcycle" look. After a little study you'll do them up fine. Just need to find hubs with the same number of spokes as the rims.
SB

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im at work ATM and just finished cutting out my fuel tank. Tommorrow ill sort out the fuelcap, mounts and petcock. Then i need to take it to my brothers and try to weld it.... i really really need to buy myself a welder

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Heres the tank i knocked up. I didnt put a fold on the sides as the metal is a little thick, but the steel was free so i used it.

And i plan to use one of these copper caps that i grabbed from a hotwater system they threw out at work.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Like the tank a lot. What kind of welder would you get?

Do you work on 220V in Oz and N.Z. as your regular electric power? Here in the U.S. and Canada it's all 110V and anything that requires a lot of power like compressers and heavy welders are run on 220V.
Most is single phase and commercial electric will go to 3 phase to save money.

Steve.