The Real Deal on California Law.

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the cop that originally ticketed me said they can impound a motored bike for no registration and/ or no m2 (or m1) license.

not having the required equipment ( lights, etc) is a fix it ticket.

the laws for motored bikes don't mention reflectors.

i guess if you're pedaling, reflectors are required, if motoring, they're not.

pretty sure a taillight will be enough. i don't have reflectors anywhere on my bikes and never got hassled.

and license plates are reflective, anyway.

guess it depends on the cops in your area.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
the cop that originally ticketed me said they can impound a motored bike for no registration and/ or no m2 (or m1) license.

not having the required equipment ( lights, etc) is a fix it ticket.

the laws for motored bikes don't mention reflectors.

i guess if you're pedaling, reflectors are required, if motoring, they're not.

pretty sure a taillight will be enough. i don't have reflectors anywhere on my bikes and never got hassled.

and license plates are reflective, anyway.

guess it depends on the cops in your area.
bairdco, gearnut is right. Not trying to be a jerk, We're all just trying to figure out how to get by, but I'm pretty sure the bicycle laws don't change just because you stuck a motor on it. Instead of changing, MORE laws apply to it,(30mph, 2GBH, ect.) The same safety requirements apply to ALL BICYCLES, motor or not. And I don't think a license plate qualifies as a reflector. I don't have all the required reflectors on my bike either, most cops around here are cool about it. But we're not talking about the cops where you and I live, they seem to be OK with MB's (mostly.). We're talking about that cop that WANTS to give you a ticket. THAT cop will keep looking in the book untill he,(or she,) finds something to hassle you about. A cop like that will find any little petty thing,(reflectors) to mess up your day. So I'm just saying, Don't give him, or her, a chance. Like I said, ya gotta do whatever it takes to keep the cops off your ***. Reflectors are just too easy, (and mostly free,) to put on to take a chance with "that" cop.
fatdaddy.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
I changed my mind, and now decide to mount the red reflector regardless of aesthetics.

How does the law go about how loud your exhaust is? Is there a law for that?
My 2 stroker screams at half throttle lol. No way around it. I hope I don't get hassled for that.
Well I don't think it's as loud as a Harley though.

Last edited:

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
The rear reflector is the only one that will actually allow traffic to see you prior to you being ran over in most situations. This is why some states require both a tail light and a rear reflector. If you are serious about being seen you should use the automotive reflectors instead of the ones that come on a bicycle. There are laws for excessive noise.

http://www.cent-21.com/laws/exhaust-us.htm

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
The rear reflector is the only one that will actually allow traffic to see you prior to you being ran over in most situations. This is why some states require both a tail light and a rear reflector. If you are serious about being seen you should use the automotive reflectors instead of the ones that come on a bicycle. There are laws for excessive noise.

http://www.cent-21.com/laws/exhaust-us.htm
According to the CHP bulletin It's just a fix-it ticket at most. And it would have to be REAL loud to even get that. Reading the bulletin tells me that there isn't a good way for them to test it for excessive noise. It is up to the individual officer to "guess" if it's too loud. And most cops care more about helmets, safety, lights, ect. So ride it like ya stole it.
fatdaddy.

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
Your correct as long as public opinion dosen't vote you out. I was sitting down in a hamburger joint around Victoria Gardens a few months ago. Several motocycles passed in front of the place. One of them was very annoying. A baby started screaming at the sound and the father of the child was on lunch break. He went outside hopped on his CHP motorcycle and pulled the noisy one over. I do believe the ticket will hold up in court. Noise is an excelent way to attract unwanted attention. gera229 implied very loud exhaust.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
This 'CA law' debate is a long dead horse that's still being dragged out & whipped!
It's now 42 long agonizing pages of speculation & misleading information.
Everything you really need to know about being legal in CA is spelled out on page #1. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
I believe the forum is for discussion. Answering questions in a reasonable fashion and letting people express their opinions weather they are right or wrong is all part of it. If you feel dragged out & whipped and are in agony than go for a bicycle ride.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I believe the forum is for discussion. Answering questions in a reasonable fashion and letting people express their opinions weather they are right or wrong is all part of it. If you feel dragged out & whipped and are in agony than go for a bicycle ride.
Ya beat me to that reply reb. Right on the head I think. Now I'm going for a ride.usflg
fatdaddy.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The rules on the first page are correct for gas bikes in CA.

E-Bikes enjoy significantly more leeway.

You don need no stinkin' license.

You don need no stinkin' registration.

And you don need to wear a stinkin' hot & heavy DOT helmet either.

Just gotta be 16. And wear a bicycle helmet.

Easy - :)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Yes this forum is for discussion & providing information... But the original intent of this thread was to finally give a solid answer & end once & for all, all the bad information (& bad 'opinions') about the CA law.
This thread was originally made for people like you so you can know what the law really is, & not have to read 42 pages of confusing opinions & speculation from people who really don't know what they're talking about).

Now you can go for a bike ride too... (legally on page #1)! ;)

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
For electric with fully operational pedals.
1: bicycle helmet
2: 16 years old
3: Motor can't power you over 20 on the flat and can not further assist you when you are pedaling over 20.

Yes just like a gas engine assist you can go faster than the legal flat land capability of the motor by using human power or gravity to assist you as long as you obey the posted speed limit on the road. It is also legal to choose to pedal or not when ever you feel like it.
Are you using a half, 3/4 or full style DOT helmet.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i can't post a link from my phone, and i've posted this before, but if you want to know every single law for motorized bikes in california, go to the california dmv website, type "index M" into the search box, and scroll down to "motorized bicycle."

read till your brain hurts then go make your bike look like a christmas parade float...:)

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
i can't post a link from my phone, and i've posted this before, but if you want to know every single law for motorized bikes in california, go to the california dmv website, type "index M" into the search box, and scroll down to "motorized bicycle."

read till your brain hurts then go make your bike look like a christmas parade float...:)
When yer right, Yer right. If you did EVERYTHING the law required you would look like the 4th of july and new years eve riding down the road. Kinda hard to build an "Outlaw Bobber" when ya gotta light it up like a christmas tree. All I used do is "just enough" for the cops in MY area.(headlight, tail light, helmet.) But now I ride a christmas tree. Guess I'm just gettin old.
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
For electric with fully operational pedals.
1: bicycle helmet
2: 16 years old
3: Motor can't power you over 20 on the flat and can not further assist you when you are pedaling over 20.

Yes just like a gas engine assist you can go faster than the legal flat land capability of the motor by using human power or gravity to assist you as long as you obey the posted speed limit on the road. It is also legal to choose to pedal or not when ever you feel like it.
Are you using a half, 3/4 or full style DOT helmet.
Sure ya don't need much to ride an electric bike, but who want's to do 20mph with a 10 mile range before ya start losing power, Then pray ya got enough juice left to make it home, at LESS then 20mph. I'll stick with my loud, polluting 2 strokes.(thank you very much.) And the law reads that you are NOT allowed over 20mph even with peddle assist on a electric bike. If the speed limit of the road is 30mph and your electric is doing 25 or 30 then you are breaking the law. Not that I'm totally against breaking the law, I'm just saying. By what yer saying is that if the posted speed limit is 65mph then it's ok to do 65mph on yer bike,(huh?). 30mph for gas, 20mph for elec, Thats it. My Cruiser does closer to 40mph, Hope I don't get caught.
And I ride with a DOT approved 1/2 helmet. Don't want to cover my ears. I gotta be able to hear the cars that are trying to run me over.
fatdaddy.
And OH YEAH, You don't even have to HAVE peddles on a electric bike. Ya gotta read 406 a little closer.

Last edited:

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
[/QUOT•Section 406(b) VC refers to a motorized bicycle as a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that: ◦Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts;
◦Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on level ground; and
◦Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour.
E]
[Motorized Bicycles (Section 406(b) VC) - A bicycle helmet meeting the standards of either the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) or the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (SPSC) must be worn to operator a motorized bicycle. /QUOTE]
Motorized Bicycle (Section 406(b) VC)
•Driver's License not required but rider must be at least 16 years of age.
The motor has a speed limit of 20mph. You can pedal faster than 20mph and roll down a hill and pedal faster any day of the week all day long etc.

I was looking at electric assist and figured that I would be in between 3000 to 5000 dollars to have one of the uper end systems with two batteries. The lower pricesed setups will overheat going up a hill or the cheap controller will allow your batteries to fry. The cheap batteries weigh to much. Even with the better systems the wholle thing will wegh more than my Simple Simon friction drive.