The Epic an electric tri car.

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rear sprocket from Sportsman Flyer is here. Have it beside my chair so I can pick it up a couple of times a day and admire it. Plan to get the frame and the tri car front end primed for the winter to save it from rusting.

Too close to the Pacific ocean to have bare metal exposed and the monsoon season is upon us. we've already had a week of hard rain and high winds.

Need to make the springs for it so I can mount the seat and delivery box.

Steve.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I find it amazing the multiple projects going on at one time along with figuring out all kinds of trip ups, but getting tghings done none the less. Use power tools. I got tennis elbow from sanding fiberglass by hand. You have better control manually, but &^% the elbow pain. Learned a lesson that I'm not the way I was 20 years back. The hot wire foam cutter been meaning to get to testing out, but smoke in the air had been back again. Evacuation 80 miles away from new fires starting. Though for a while wind was up and I sailed Tomales Bay California shredding windsurfing. And yes I was Gumby for a few days resting afterwards.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Have the next jack shaft attempt cut out and ready to weld up. The first one didn't work out the way it was supposed to. Just didn't look right more than any thing so it was on to the second one. I'll get some photos of it tomorrow before I start welding so you can see the parts before they go together to give everyone an idea of what I'm trying to do.

We are supposed to have a couple more dry days before the monsoon returns for a while.

I am also getting ready to start cutting out the sidecar for my nieces bike. It will be small since she is only seven. I'll post it in the sidecar thread when I get it going. Bought some really nice plywood from our local Home Depot. Looks like Baltic Birch.

Haven't made up my mind if I'll put metal over the skin of it or some mahogany like the the Monark sidecar or stain and varnish the birch. May paint it but that seems kind of ordinary but she probably won't use it for a long time before she grows out of it. I think it's more for her Dad than her.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I strongly suspect that the sidecar will be done in time for Christmas but only if I put a rush on it.

Custom trike. That will be one lucky young man indeed. Perhaps with a small power booster?

Didn't get to the jack shaft today. Waylaid for salsa making. All the green tomatoes were picked and now they are all ripening at the same time.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Think I'll let him work on his leg strength Steve.

Salsa sounds great & I have chili on the menu for lunch today with picante sauce, & fresh pico de gallo and guacamole. I've got to get cracking to get the stuff ready...chili was completed early yesterday so flavors have had time to meld. Plenty of chopped sweet onion, sharp chedar & sour cream to tip it off.

I love my Tex Mex and our neighbors to the South.

Rick C.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
A day without smoky air and cooler, got the foam cutter tested and used. The blueberries for some reason have now 2 of the 4 bushes flowers and some small berries forming. What a bumper crop that you never have to plant on a perennial? What I knew of was different varieties ripen at different times and the plants live year after year unlike annuals. But two separate flowerings? Though maybe no time to ripen as rain 20% chance Friday, and next month is November.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The jack shaft cover is welded up. Not the prettiest welding but so long as it holds together after it's trip through the belt sander it will be OK. The tubing in the center will be welded in after it's cut down to size and flanged bearings will press into the ends. The jack shaft will turn in the bearings.

Next week I'll put the carb together and weld up the intake manifold.

Monday is Canada's Thanksgiving Day. Going to be a strange one with just immediate being here. Lots of warnings from the various levels of government to keep the dinner to family that lives in the house only.

Things will start up again on Tuesday.

Steve.

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I can weld like that with industrial grade miller and gas shield. The goober welds don't, as we all know and Uncle Arnie would say it's all about the penetration.
Not setting on true granite surface plate and indicated .01mm side to side. Stand back three meters, looks good is good.
Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I made a brass carb for the tri car. In one of Rick's, {Indian22}, photos I saw a brass railing connector and that started me thinking about a carb. I purchased an antique brass carb from what was possibly a tractor but it was heavy and a bit too large.

I used 1" fittings. One was a four way T connector for the main body. The bowl is a ball that fits on the end of the brass tubing. The top is a plug that fits inside the tubing to finish it off. I purchased both a flat and domed plug. the flat plug worked best for me. I'll include a parts list and contact information for the company I bought them from.

The brass cable adjuster is something I had in the brass parts bag. If I hadn't had that I would have used a 1/4" brass gas line fitting. It doesn't need to work since the carb isn't real. Just improves the look.

I used some 1" outside diameter towel bar I had to join the T section to the ball on the bottom. J.B.Welded it after scuffing up the surfaces to provide a better grip for the epoxy. The top cap I epoxied the towel bar tubing to the inside of the T section but left the end cap loose so it can be removed so I can secure the cable inside the cap. I have a brass bolt and it will hold the end cap in place after a hole is drilled and threaded.

Parts used.

1) 803-10 single ball outlet-1"
1) 835-10 ball cross-1"
1) 809-10A semi domed end cap-1"

1) 809-10 domed end cap-1"
This is the end cap I didn't use but I included it in case you chose to.

The company.

Brass Finders, Inc
718 N. Crestline, Suit B
Spokane, WA. 99202

Steve.

Attachments