Texas Riding Blog

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Times have sure changed since starting this thread. Back then I was all in for china girls, and thought no one in their right mind would buy an electric bike. I thought china girls were going to take over the world. Now I almost never see one, maybe 3 in all of last year. Electric bikes otoh have become so common I lost count of how many I've seen in a year.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Times have sure changed a lot since starting this thread way back in 2011. At that time I had been riding china girl motor bicycles for 2 1/2 years. They never did seem to catch on very much here in Dallas, but for a while I would occasionally see one, maybe every other month or so. Electric bikes otoh I saw maybe 1 or 2 in a year if I was lucky. At the time I also never saw myself ever thinking I would care for an electric bike, I was a gas man all the way. but boy have times changed. Now I'm lucky if I see 2 gas bicycles of any verity in a years time, but I'm starting to see maybe 2 electric bicycles per month, maybe more. On top of that I've totally given up on gas bikes, and gone all electric, and never looked back.

What I've found is compared to a china girl, even a crappy electric bike is 10x more dependable for about the same cost. A good electric is more like 100x more dependable. Peoples attitudes have changed dramatically too. Back in 2011 most riders were pretty negative on them. I was one of the worst offenders. If you mentioned you rode an electric bike it was a sure bet someone chime in that electrics were for losers, loser bikes, crap, stupid, take your pick. Now even on dedicated regular bicycle groups, and forums no one really has much bad to say anymore. Even riding in groups with regular bicycles no one has a problem. Acceptance is becoming universal. Especially now that I, and many others are fast approaching old age, electric bikes are giving us a new lease on riding, and because of that I think are fixing to explode in popularity.

Reactions: Tony01

Boydowski222

Jun 19, 2021
Dallas
I haven't seen a china girl at large on the streets in almost a year. Where'd they all go?
Guess I’m way late to the MB community! However, I’m here! I e been riding in my neighborhood but I’m looking to venture out! Your obviously very knowledgeable so I thought I’d ask for some insight. BTW, the whole forums, posting, and etiquette of sites like this, I’m very unsure about. Where are some places to ride my China girl. It’s a 1 off trial and error WCC, OCC, junk yard build. Was a blast building and now I’m ready to put her to the test! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
I’m late to the party as well. Collinsville here, about an hour north of Dallas.

my first build, gets started for the first time very soon

Attachments

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The problem with riding a gas bike around Dallas is there's not many people to ride with unless you know someone else with a motor bicycle. There's just not enough of them anymore. Never was very many. eBikes are where all the action is now.

JerryAssburger

Mar 11, 2017
Salem Oregon
The problem with riding a gas bike around Dallas is there's not many people to ride with unless you know someone else with a motor bicycle. There's just not enough of them anymore. Never was very many. eBikes are where all the action is now.
Hey Biknut! How aggressive are the police towards the gas-bikes? I know the China Girls are too noisy for most situations, how about the 4-stroke builds? When I lived in AZ, they were definitely a POLICE STATE, regarding anything on the road that did not generate them revenue in the form of titling, registration, smog-fees, etc...
Here in OR, they're most concerned with protecting the rights of pedestrians being able to step out in front moving vehicles without looking, first.
I'm asking because my wife is pushing towards us leaving the Left Coast Circus and moving to the McKinney area.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hey Biknut! How aggressive are the police towards the gas-bikes? I know the China Girls are too noisy for most situations, how about the 4-stroke builds? When I lived in AZ, they were definitely a POLICE STATE, regarding anything on the road that did not generate them revenue in the form of titling, registration, smog-fees, etc...
Here in OR, they're most concerned with protecting the rights of pedestrians being able to step out in front moving vehicles without looking, first.
I'm asking because my wife is pushing towards us leaving the Left Coast Circus and moving to the McKinney area.
As long as you stay on the street there's very little chance you'll get pulled over. Doesn't really make any difference 2 stroke, or 4. As long as you're mostly obeying the traffic laws the police have no interest in you. I wouldn't recommend riding on a city trail though. That gets everyone's bowels in an uproar. Buses, and light rail are also off limits to gas bikes, but I know of at least one case where one of my friends was able to put his 4 stroke motor bicycle on a bus rack even though it wasn't supposed to be allowed. Texas is very motor bicycle friendly, gas or electric, but the electrics enjoy more freedom. That had a lot to do with my decision to abandon gas bikes for good.

There's a lot of real nice trails in McKinney, and the surrounding areas.

Reactions: JerryAssburger

JerryAssburger

Mar 11, 2017
Salem Oregon
As long as you stay on the street there's very little chance you'll get pulled over. Doesn't really make any difference 2 stroke, or 4. As long as you're mostly obeying the traffic laws the police have no interest in you. I wouldn't recommend riding on a city trail though. That gets everyone's bowels in an uproar. Buses, and light rail are also off limits to gas bikes, but I know of at least one case where one of my friends was able to put his 4 stroke motor bicycle on a bus rack even though it wasn't supposed to be allowed. Texas is very motor bicycle friendly, gas or electric, but the electrics enjoy more freedom. That had a lot to do with my decision to abandon gas bikes for good.

There's a lot of real nice trails in McKinney, and the surrounding areas.
Thank you for the info.

tampico

Apr 21, 2011
Corpus Christi, Texas
HI Biknut! I ha en't been to this blog in years, as I only now have returned to the motorized bicycle mode ( pushed by of course Bidenflation/ rising gas prices. Has anything changed on the legal "grey area" parameters the D.P.S. had us under? I'm here in Pasadena. Texas these days using g a 28 c.c. China Girl on a beach cruiser. Be safe! Thanks Biknut! John/Tampico

tampico

Apr 21, 2011
Corpus Christi, Texas
HI Biknut! I ha en't been to this blog in years, as I only now have returned to the motorized bicycle mode ( pushed by of course Bidenflation/ rising gas prices. Has anything changed on the legal "grey area" parameters the D.P.S. had us under? I'm here in Pasadena. Texas these days using g a 28 c.c. China Girl on a beach cruiser. Be safe! Thanks Biknut! John/Tampico
48cc on a beach cruiser. (Damn spell-check!)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don't think anything has changed except, as electric bicycles have exploded in popularity, I rarely see gas powered bicycles anymore. Personally I went electric in 2013. You should consider electric if you haven't already. Prices have come down a lot, and with so many new multi use city trails being build, it's a lot easier to get around. If you're on facebook you can join my group, Dallas Electric Bicycle Club.

As far you're orginal question, if you prefer a gas bike I don't think you'll have any problem riding it around town, but gas bikes are not well accepted on the city trails, and that's kind of an understatement lol.

tampico

Apr 21, 2011
Corpus Christi, Texas
I don't think anything has changed except, as electric bicycles have exploded in popularity, I rarely see gas powered bicycles anymore. Personally I went electric in 2013. You should consider electric if you haven't already. Prices have come down a lot, and with so many new multi use city trails being build, it's a lot easier to get around. If you're on facebook you can join my group, Dallas Electric Bicycle Club.

As far you're orginal question, if you prefer a gas bike I don't think you'll have any problem riding it around town, but gas bikes are not well accepted on the city trails, and that's kind of an understatement lol.
Yep... I'm in Pasadena these days rebuilding a traditional looking sailboat I intend to boondock/anchor around the Texas coast in till "Fiddlers' Green"... I haven't been noticed by the P.P.D. yet as far as I know... I keep hearing from disparate folks/sources that they are real A-HOLES here(!)..... Since I'm in my old 1988 Ford camper van I pay $50.00 per month to live here, but NO electrical, so no way to charge up an electric bike. I DO have juice in my storage unit 1/4 mile from here, but if this cheap deal ends I will be back to possibly boondocking again with the van, hence gasoline bike...Thanks for answering Biknut!

tampico

Apr 21, 2011
Corpus Christi, Texas
Yep... I'm in Pasadena these days rebuilding a traditional looking sailboat I intend to boondock/anchor around the Texas coast in till "Fiddlers' Green"... I haven't been noticed by the P.P.D. yet as far as I know... I keep hearing from disparate folks/sources that they are real A-HOLES here(!)..... Since I'm in my old 1988 Ford camper van I pay $50.00 per month to live here, but NO electrical, so no way to charge up an electric bike. I DO have juice in my storage unit 1/4 mile from here, but if this cheap deal ends I will be back to possibly boondocking again with the van, hence gasoline bike...Thanks for answering Biknut!
P.S.,... You mean bicycle trails not being welcoming to a gas assist bike? I can live with THAT. if that is what you meant. I just don't want to deal with any uber-dickheads on their power-trips...