Texas Riding Blog

GoldenMotor.com

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I think that is not what the bus system in Dallas was designed for, but how it has become in operation: it is something to occupy the time of the idle and low class, and give them a place to congregate.

Yeah except in Dallas if you're not going downtown you're out of luck on the bus. Dallas has the stupidest bus system in the world. If you want to get anywhere, first you wait 30 minutes for the bus to get there. Then you ride for an hour to get downtown, then you transfer to a bus going near where you want to go. Then you ride another hour getting there. Then you walk the last mile from where the bus lets you off.

When I'm out riding I often do a drive by at the dart stations. I can't help myself from riding back and forth at least once in front of all the poor smoes waiting their life away, to ride a bus. I get their attention, then they see me riding off to anywhere I want to go. They're still stuck waiting for a bus that only goes somewhere, probably not that close to where they want to go.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I went on a 30 mile ride tonight. From Farmers Branch, over to Garland. I blasted down Arapaho over to Richardson, and went down Walnut into Garland. On the way back I stopped by High Five Cycle. This is Sport bike central. Then I rode down the service road along LBJ, and I found a cool way to cross 75, right under LBJs nose. When you're going down the service road, right before you get to the 75 service road, jump across the sidewalk and onto the Cottonwood trail. The Cottonwood trail has a tunnel that goes under 75 and comes out on the Dallas side close to Coit. From there I rode Alpha all the way back to Farmers Branch about 11:45.

I saw at least a dozen cops in Farmers Branch, Dallas, and Richardson, and even though they were pulling people over left and right, I buzzed by all of them seemingly unoticed

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yeah, that trail crosses over there: google map:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=cott...p&geocode=CQZKNoOQunKUFRNX9gEdf307-g&t=h&z=16

Also a sidewalk/bike trail that goes back to White Rock Lake from 635: (White Rock Creek Trail)
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=32.927094,-96.783589&num=1&t=h&z=16&lci=bike
That was fun riding last night.

It's possible the Cottonwood trail connects to the White Rock Creek Trail somewhere south of where I was. If it doesn't, it comes pretty close.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That was fun riding last night.

It's possible the Cottonwood trail connects to the White Rock Creek Trail somewhere south of where I was. If it doesn't, it comes pretty close.
There's no one on those trails at night. We should do a midnight ride down the trail from LBJ, to White Rock sometime.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
The two trails converge near Royal Lane & Greenville Ave. If you select Bicycling as your mode on the Google Maps, it highlights in green or green-dots the routes and roads for scenic bike rides.

This Preston Ridge Trail looks nice too (north of the other pavement paths we're talking about, see map: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...Uc7-g;FaMW9wEdQUc7-g&t=h&mra=ls&z=21&lci=bike)

Ok, I'm in. Plan an event and route. Sounds cool. I have ridden the WR Creek trail at about 2am before a few times. There are very seldom pedestrians then, and as long as you have bike gear (helmet) and lights, the police don't do anything. I ghost pedal the whole way and cover the brakes.

I haven't seen too many people on the extension trails at those hours, but the lake loop almost always has people. The midnight crowd is pretty rough too. I almost hit a drunk sleeping on the WR Creek trail once not far from the liquor stores. lol. He just laughed and laid back down.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
OK the plan begins.

There's a parking lot at the beginning of the White Rock Creek Trail at Hilllcrest & LBJ, NE corner. We'll start, and end from there. That way people can trailer their bikes to the start point if they live very far away.

We'll start at midnight on a Friday, or Saturday night. Ride the trail from LBJ, to White Rock Lake, and back. Probably 20 miles round trip. Maybe we can find an IHOP along the way.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I like riding on golf courses, but rarely indulge, and especially not on a motor bicycle. Police can probably quickly be summoned to corral someone riding a golf course, by any of a large number of home-owners, passersby, or club members. I am sure they also have cameras around the club houses and buildings.

Do you mean actually ride the golf course cart paths, or the surrounding streets?
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1005...005+N+Montclair+Ave,+Dallas,+Texas+75208&z=16

Last edited:

SergeyTempest

May 7, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah except in Dallas if you're not going downtown you're out of luck on the bus. Dallas has the stupidest bus system in the world. If you want to get anywhere, first you wait 30 minutes for the bus to get there. Then you ride for an hour to get downtown, then you transfer to a bus going near where you want to go. Then you ride another hour getting there. Then you walk the last mile from where the bus lets you off.
Actually, DART's bus/rail system is actually pretty darn decent. It's not New York's MTA or Chicago's CTA, but it's decent. When I lived in Richardson, I rode my (pedal) bicycle and DART all the time, and it worked very well and efficiently for me. DART's main problem isn't service in its current cities, it's that it is not allowed to cover more of Dallas's suburbs, causing a big "transit gap" of sorts, especially in southern Dallas County.

The "stupid, downtown transfers" thing actually describes Fort Worth's T to... well, a "T" (good grief, that was a horrible pun). Lots of improvements and better funding support needed for good service here. Fort Worth's T is also even more regionally stunted than DART, thanks to the only suburb participating being Richland Hills.

I'm all for transit, but it needs to be efficient and smooth, for sure. Sometimes I like taking transit as opposed to the bike--time to have me some little cat naps, play a game on the iPod or PSP, and read books. Transit definitely has its pros and cons compared to riding the bike, though I do heavily prefer the bike, for obvious reasons. .shft.

Just curious Biknut have you ever tried to put it on the rack of a DART bus? Will they let ya? I know you can an e-bike. Bus drivers tend to be a lot like cops you never know what to expect some of them are real jerks...I know I trained some of them LOL!
Only conventional and electric bicycles are allowed on buses and trains, and that goes for both DART, The T, and DCTA (Denton County Transportation Authority). It's due to the gas in the tanks violating their policies against bringing explosive materials aboard.

I was just thinkin if you broke down it'd beat peddlin 5 miles. I know you can't have gas inside the bus but on the rack? I've seen e-bikes on the bus & rail.
The racks count as "being on the bus", as far as they're concerned.

When I'm out riding I often do a drive by at the dart stations. I can't help myself from riding back and forth at least once in front of all the poor smoes waiting their life away, to ride a bus. I get their attention, then they see me riding off to anywhere I want to go. They're still stuck waiting for a bus that only goes somewhere, probably not that close to where they want to go.
That actually seems a little cold... a lot of DART, DCTA, and T riders have vehicles but ride because they don't have to drive themselves, and they get to sleep a bit, read, surf the Internet, etc while they travel. Not every transit rider is by circumstance, and transit isn't *that* sucky. Besides, I think transit is definitely a needed and very positive thing, and should be part of a complete, healthy, intermodal system that includes it as well as cars, bicycles, motorized bicycles, etc.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
There was a thread about this somewhere on this board, about using disposable water bottles for fuel tanks, so you just rode the bus with the bike on, and no fuel tank, and drained lines, and they would let it pass in some places. You can bring water bottles on board, and just carry empty or drink it while you ride, then get a little gas at a station by the bus stop.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Staton-Inc.com was sellint propane powered FD there for a while but that'd work just keep the bottles in your back-pack or buy them wherever you go after getting off the bus. Heck it might even be legal not much difference in that & a butane lighter EH?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm all for transit, but it needs to be efficient and smooth, for sure. Sometimes I like taking transit as opposed to the bike--time to have me some little cat naps, play a game on the iPod or PSP, and read books. Transit definitely has its pros and cons compared to riding the bike, though I do heavily prefer the bike, for obvious reasons. .shft.

That actually seems a little cold... a lot of DART, DCTA, and T riders have vehicles but ride because they don't have to drive themselves, and they get to sleep a bit, read, surf the Internet, etc while they travel. Not every transit rider is by circumstance, and transit isn't *that* sucky. Besides, I think transit is definitely a needed and very positive thing, and should be part of a complete, healthy, intermodal system that includes it as well as cars, bicycles, motorized bicycles, etc.
I'm sure there's a few people that take the DART for some of the same reasons you do, but I'll bet most of them are only there because they can't afford, or don't want to spend the money on driving themselves.

It's a sure bet that 99.9 % of the people lucky enough to see my motor bicycle doing a drive by of the DART station, have never seen a motor bicycle. I'm doing my part to improve their lives, by exposing them to a viable alternative form of transportation they've never heard of, that will set them free.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I'm sure there's a few people that take the DART for some of the same reasons you do, but I'll bet most of them are only there because they can't afford, or don't want to spend the money on driving themselves.

It's a sure bet that 99.9 % of the people lucky enough to see my motor bicycle doing a drive by of the DART station, have never seen a motor bicycle. I'm doing my part to improve their lives, by exposing them to a viable alternative form of transportation they've never heard of, that will set them free.
Biknut the emancipator LOL All kidding aside it is cool to see the spark in folks eyes when you see the thought click they could get around on a bike. They usually smile & sometimes wave.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Biknut the emancipator LOL All kidding aside it is cool to see the spark in folks eyes when you see the thought click they could get around on a bike. They usually smile & sometimes wave.
I'm serious about promoting motor bicycles in Texas. I've gotten more inquiries this summer than last.

I know of one person that built a MB after seeing me on mine at the hardware store. We had a brief conversation last year, and last month I saw him on his bike at the same hardware store. He said he made it after seeing mine, and me telling him where to find out about it.

The guy is 40ish something, and very hispanic. I don't know him, but I'm pretty sure he rides more for practical reasons than for fun. Now all his friends will become aware of MBs.

A good friend of mine told be he saw a guy riding china girl in Garland last week.

I think the biggest obstacle we face to MBs becoming more popular right now is, once people find out about them, there's no place to buy one.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
You can buy one here: www.custommotoredbicycles.com for about $400-450, about what one would spend for a china kit and a cheap bike individually, but assembled and running. Some other vendors on this site sell built bikes for $400-1000.

I'm a big fan of the dax kit because anybody who can put together furniture-in-a-box (Ikea, Walmart, etc) can build it in a day and ride the tar out of it. It only takes a few practice attempts to figure out the roller tension and tire pressure input, and still feels like a regular bike, just 15-20lb heavier.

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
I'm serious about promoting motor bicycles in Texas. I've gotten more inquiries this summer than last.

I know of one person that built a MB after seeing me on mine at the hardware store. We had a brief conversation last year, and last month I saw him on his bike at the same hardware store. He said he made it after seeing mine, and me telling him where to find out about it.

The guy is 40ish something, and very hispanic. I don't know him, but I'm pretty sure he rides more for practical reasons than for fun. Now all his friends will become aware of MBs.

A good friend of mine told be he saw a guy riding china girl in Garland last week.

I think the biggest obstacle we face to MBs becoming more popular right now is, once people find out about them, there's no place to buy one.
Well, the grey areas in the law and safety issues associated with bicycles going too fast are deterrents. The next bike I build will be built right from the beginning, thumb throttle, oil filled adjustable front suspension, 3 inch tires, suspension seat, full disk brakes, custom build exhaust, some other kind of gas tank and a shift kit.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Well, the grey areas in the law and safety issues associated with bicycles going too fast are deterrents. The next bike I build will be built right from the beginning, thumb throttle, oil filled adjustable front suspension, 3 inch tires, suspension seat, full disk brakes, custom build exhaust, some other kind of gas tank and a shift kit.
I think you're right about the law being a hindrance. Since we ride in a gray area of the law, it's risky for a business to make an investment in motor bicycles, when they don't know what the future may hold for MBs in Texas.

I have no doubt at all, that if people could walk into a shop with motor bicycles sitting on a showroom floor, they'd be selling like dope hotcakes. The problem is, that would take a sizeable investment, and no one wants to take a risk like that without knowing what might happen to the legality of MBs in the future. That's holding us back.

As it is right now, you have to have a lot more mechanical skill than most people posess, in order to build your own MB. Especially a dependable one. Those are two big obstacles to popularity.

OTOH trying to get a politician to change the law is like poking a bear with a stick. You might not like what happens next.

What I think we need to do for the time being, is keep working under the radar until we get our numbers up enough to matter to a vote whore politician.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I'd risk it, but I don't have $100 to my name, really. People compliment my bike or act like they want one, but I haven't gotten a single call back or email about building them one. Maybe like you said, if they could see it, and you could secure some collateral for a test ride or something, you might be able to sell them, especially out of existing moped or bicycle shops. Russia used to make boatloads of built bikes, ready to go. I wonder why no one has marketed a utilitarian, low-buck factory MB, especially with all the car-branding opportunities. Even Wmart sells some bikes branded Jeep or GMC etc.