Texas Riding Blog

GoldenMotor.com

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I'm pretty bored here. If any motorized bicycle riders in TX want to join me, I sometimes ride my bikes on weekends or late nights, in Dallas, Rockwall, or city near Greenville (nothing to do here lol).

dde2

Sep 4, 2012
Flower Mound, Texas
Just found this thread and think it is great. I just finished my first build a week ago and am planning on my second. Now that I have a better idea how to do it I think it will go a lot smoother then round 1. I live right next to Grapevine lake and so far havent had any problem riding around my area. I too have wondered about the legality of riding on the street and so far all I can find is this, from the Texas Transportation Code, Chptr 551

SUBCHAPTER E. MOTOR-ASSISTED SCOOTERSSec. 551.351.
DEFINITIONS. In this subchapter:
(1) "Motor-assisted scooter":
(A) means a self-propelled device with:
(i) at least two wheels in contact with the ground during operation;
(ii) a braking system capable of stopping the device under typical operating conditions;(iii) a gas or electric motor not exceeding 40 cubic centimeters;
(iv) a deck designed to allow a person to stand or sit while operating the device; and(v) the ability to be propelled by human power alone; and
(B) does not include a pocket bike or a minimotorbike.

here is the link if anyone is interested.
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.551.htm

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
A few unaccredited armchair lawyers on this board have pasted that a bunch of times, and want to limit themselves to some kind of 40cc jalopy go-ped with pedals added. We are using motor assisted bicycles.

TX is silly anyway, when it comes to legislature. How does an electric motor have displacement? ;-) TX goobermint doesn't understand bicycles, since they ride around in giant trucks on our dime, and don't have to bother riding a bike. That's for poor people. (sarcasm).

Last edited:

dde2

Sep 4, 2012
Flower Mound, Texas
I agree TX is ... well, "silly" isnt the word I would use but.....

Anyway, I guess I need to do some more research. I'm sure I will still ride my bike either way, I'll just keep my thumb on the kill switch for when I see a cop and peddle like a mad man!!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
This is a scooter. (and way over 40cc)

Scroll through this section of the board (laws and legislation) and there are a bunch of related threads for Texas (people asking about taking off their pedals, debate over seats vs "saddles" other interesting things.

My experience has been that sometimes police will check it out, but if "riding it like a bicycle" (about 20 or 30 tops, using right lane or shoulder, ghost pedaling, using hand signals, and not "impeding traffic", they don't care. Don't forget some good lights. That was one reason I got stopped, a failed tail-light, or so they said. It was on before I got pulled over, and turned back on when I switched it after the stop. Hmmm....)

Last edited:

dde2

Sep 4, 2012
Flower Mound, Texas
so the argument is that since you have to peddle to start off, it isn't self propelled?

My first thought when I looked at your "Scooter" pic.... "Man your gonna need some seriously LONG arms to ride that sucker."

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I don't think you even have to pedal, just have to have pedals (and intact pedaling system). That thing on the scooter is a fuel tank off a moped, that came with the engine. It does look like a seat though. It's not mine, I just remember reading about it on a forum.
It's like a dragster go-ped!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Just found this thread and think it is great. I just finished my first build a week ago and am planning on my second. Now that I have a better idea how to do it I think it will go a lot smoother then round 1. I live right next to Grapevine lake and so far havent had any problem riding around my area. I too have wondered about the legality of riding on the street and so far all I can find is this, from the Texas Transportation Code, Chptr 551

SUBCHAPTER E. MOTOR-ASSISTED SCOOTERSSec. 551.351.
DEFINITIONS. In this subchapter:
(1) "Motor-assisted scooter":
(A) means a self-propelled device with:
(i) at least two wheels in contact with the ground during operation;
(ii) a braking system capable of stopping the device under typical operating conditions;(iii) a gas or electric motor not exceeding 40 cubic centimeters;
(iv) a deck designed to allow a person to stand or sit while operating the device; and(v) the ability to be propelled by human power alone; and
(B) does not include a pocket bike or a minimotorbike.

here is the link if anyone is interested.
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.551.htm
Welcome to the Texas Blog thread dde2. I'm not that far from you, I live in Farmers Branch. Maybe we can get together and ride sometime.

When I started riding MBs about 2 years ago, I was a little worried about the legality, but I've since learned from experience there's nothing what so ever to worry about. I'm sure your experience will be simular to mine.

This is what you'll probably what notice. When riding your MB, you won't be able to get a cops attention if you were on fire.

The statute above that you posted isn't related to MBs, because we don't have a " (iv) a deck designed to allow a person to stand or sit while operating the device". Texas doesn't consider pedals a deck. Actually there's no statute that covers gas powered MBs at this time. Strange but true.

All you need to do is follow all the laws pretaining to bicycles, and you'll be good to go.

I ride my MB all over this town. I've been in at least seven different citys around, and including Dallas, and never once had a problem with the law. On weekends I usually ride 30 or 40 miles at a time.

I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun riding your MB, same as I do.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Today I was driving down Denton Rd by Love Field. Up ahead I saw a scooter riding along, going only about 30 mph. As I got closer I noticed it was a little 50cc scooter, probably going as fast as it could. When we stopped at the light, I rolled my window down, and ask if it was a 50, yes. How fast will it go, 30. Is that the top speed, yes. And you can cruise at 30, yes. Then we drove off.

I couldn't help thinking how much better my MB is. I can actually get up to 36 mph. I can cruise 31 or 32 mph any time. I don't need a license, or registration. No inspection sticker. I get 120 mpg. I can ride the city bicycle trails.

We really live in the best of times for MBs in Texas.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Thank you for the welcome. I have to say that riding a motorized bike is a blast. It made me feel like a little kid again.
I'm getting close to 60 years young, and have ridden motorcycles all my life. I've been on every street in this city too many times to count, but since I started riding my MB, every street seems new again. Every ride is exciting. Going where I always ride seems different now. People that don't ride, can't understand. Finding someone else to ride with is my biggest challange now lol.

brnot

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Had the rare treat of riding with another MB today. We did a lap around Fair Park in the fair traffic, and then we rode to lower Greenvile. A couple of vodka martini's later we rode into highland park.

dde2

Sep 4, 2012
Flower Mound, Texas
Good Lord, you are a braver soul then me. I don't even like driving in a car around Fair Park during the State Fair. I would have had to drink the Martini BEFORE attempting to ride in that area. By the way, The McDonalds by Fair Park is the only one I have ever seen that had an armed Security Guard in the parking lot. I would be careful where you park you bike down there.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yeah, it's pretty wild and hairy down there alright. Some of the funniest looks we got were from the police as we rode by.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I decided to ride the Black Friday bicycle ride today in Richardson, and burn off some turkey. It's a ride by a riding group called Bike Friendly Richardson. I get their online newsletter. The start point was about 10 miles from my house. I blasted over to Central Expressway, and Campbell road in about 25 minutes. There were about 30 bicycles when I got there. This was supposed to be a 20 mile casual ride. 10 miles to the halfway point. That's as far as I rode. I was impressed with myself, and the Atomic BB for being able to keep up with mostly younger riders pedeling for 10 miles. Luckly they did keep the pace pretty slow. The fastest I got up to was about 15 mph, but usually we were cruising around 10-12 mph. Of course I had the only motor bicycle. They didn't get to see my motor run till I was ready to leave. I didn't know anyone there. They didn't seem to know what to think of my bike. Since nobody in Dallas even knows what a motor bicycle is, I was just another bicycle rider to them, but something was different about me is all. Thats all they know about it. Everyone was basically friendly, like most Texans. I never planned to do the whole 20 miles. My goal was just to be seen by bicycle riders in Dallas. There really didn't seem to be very much interest in what my bike really was, but when we got to halfway stop, one or two people did ask a few questions. After about 10 minutes, I told the leaders I was going to head home from there, and thanked them for a fun ride. At that point I fired up my motor and rode off into the sunset. I made the 10 mile ride home in about 25 minutes, with a nice tail wind. I didn't have any trouble cruising at 35 mph all the way home.

The Atomic BB isn't set up for pedeling very far. For an old geezer I'm doing pretty good.

http://www.bikingindallas.com/bike-...=Feed:+bikingindallas/Tdqs+(Biking+In+Dallas)

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
NO kidding! The bums there are crazy, and I've had 10yo kids throw gang signs at me from the doors of apartment buildings.

B N, thanks for supporting Bike Friday! https://www.facebook.com/events/170326689780907/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Next year, hopefully we can have a motorized bicycle ride.

Good Lord, you are a braver soul then me. I don't even like driving in a car around Fair Park during the State Fair. I would have had to drink the Martini BEFORE attempting to ride in that area. By the way, The McDonalds by Fair Park is the only one I have ever seen that had an armed Security Guard in the parking lot. I would be careful where you park you bike down there.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
I live in Port Aransas, on the coast of texas.... The damm cops are starting to start hassling us about needing to have registration.....

I will ride under the radar as long as I can, and will gladly pay a few tickets to say FU gov, leave me alone.....

I will go to the courthouse tomorrow and see what the fuss is about..... Here in port a, golf carts are legal on the roads so it has been generally a "other transportation" friendly environment....

If I have to register it, a loud bad ass pipe will be ringing the ears of residents here....

I've heard rumors of a wipe ur ass tax coming soon.......

Stay strong and don't let the bastards wear you down...........

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I live in Port Aransas, on the coast of texas.... The damm cops are starting to start hassling us about needing to have registration.....

I will ride under the radar as long as I can, and will gladly pay a few tickets to say FU gov, leave me alone.....

I will go to the courthouse tomorrow and see what the fuss is about..... Here in port a, golf carts are legal on the roads so it has been generally a "other transportation" friendly environment....

If I have to register it, a loud bad ass pipe will be ringing the ears of residents here....

I've heard rumors of a wipe ur ass tax coming soon.......

Stay strong and don't let the bastards wear you down...........
borntofli, what kind of mb do you have? Is it a china girl, or some other kind?

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Sounds like it's just harassment. As far as I know, the small engines, with pedals, don't need any registration. Sounds like some "complaint" has been made by some cager-rager or police higher-up.