Texas Riding Blog

GoldenMotor.com

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I think you can buy the replacement parts you need at a pretty cheap price.
It would be a shame for you to give up your MB just cause you need about 40 bucks worth of parts.

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
I'm just south of you in San Marcos. That would be a good idea if that was all that was messed up on it. I think everything connected to the drive sprocket has to also be replaced because when I used my bigger gear puller something got bent. The sprocket now rotates crooked and since it is a strong fragile metal rather than a softer malleable metal, I know it wasn't the sprocket.

I'm also graduating in a few months with an Aquatic Biology degree so I'll most likely be moving out of town and possibly out of state. It would be easier to just pack my engine building stuff and any one of my bikes to build another when I get settled than to try hauling a motorized bike.

Last edited:

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
I have a 1970s Vista 10 speed road bike I could trade if ur interested
Could you send me a picture (preferably the gear side so I can get a good estimate of the ratios)? I've already gotten the host bicycle back to a bicycle but if your bike has a better final ratio I might. At the moment I'm toying with turning the engine into a lamp, which would also look really cool and act as a hidden source of spare parts in the future.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I was driving to the grocery store yesterday and saw a MB cross in front of me at the light into the parking lot. When my light turned green, I went as fast as I could to try to catch him, but he got to the other side of the lot and rode the sidewalk to the next parking lot in line where I couldn't go. Never saw if it was gas or electric. I only know it was a MB because he never peddled!

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Today I was riding my MB for about 10 min before it got dark. I am having a bit of a hard time trusting it right now for long hauls, so I keep taking it out on short runs to see how far I can go before something breaks. Today while I was riding, my ADA Racing filter fell off while I was going pretty fast. 30 to 35 mph. I always know when something is wrong because the bike sounds different. I looked down and the filter had fallen between my blue jeans and the bike frame and stayed there! I was able to catch it there until I stopped and grabbed it to peddle the rest of the way home. Simple fix. Just have to screw it back on. It was kinda funny though.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Today I was riding my MB for about 10 min before it got dark. I am having a bit of a hard time trusting it right now for long hauls, so I keep taking it out on short runs to see how far I can go before something breaks. Today while I was riding, my ADA Racing filter fell off while I was going pretty fast. 30 to 35 mph. I always know when something is wrong because the bike sounds different. I looked down and the filter had fallen between my blue jeans and the bike frame and stayed there! I was able to catch it there until I stopped and grabbed it to peddle the rest of the way home. Simple fix. Just have to screw it back on. It was kinda funny though.
I know just what you mean. I've had to peddle my bike home more than 5 miles a couple of times. And a few miles several other times.

It doesn't happen so much anymore. Over time I've addressed most of the weakness.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Peddling the Atomic BB isn't an attractive proposition with the 4 1/2" peddle cranks I have on it now.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Just curious Biknut have you ever tried to put it on the rack of a DART bus? Will they let ya? I know you can an e-bike. Bus drivers tend to be a lot like cops you never know what to expect some of them are real jerks...I know I trained some of them LOL!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Just curious Biknut have you ever tried to put it on the rack of a DART bus? Will they let ya? I know you can an e-bike. Bus drivers tend to be a lot like cops you never know what to expect some of them are real jerks...I know I trained some of them LOL!
No I've never tried. I don't think they would let you, but that's just my guess.

As for me, I'd never try to ride a bus anyway, I would just ride my bike. I'm pretty sure I could beat a bus across town.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I was just thinkin if you broke down it'd beat peddlin 5 miles. I know you can't have gas inside the bus but on the rack? I've seen e-bikes on the bus & rail.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I was just thinkin if you broke down it'd beat peddlin 5 miles. I know you can't have gas inside the bus but on the rack? I've seen e-bikes on the bus & rail.
Yeah except in Dallas if you're not going downtown you're out of luck on the bus. Dallas has the stupidest bus system in the world. If you want to get anywhere, first you wait 30 minutes for the bus to get there. Then you ride for an hour to get downtown, then you transfer to a bus going near where you want to go. Then you ride another hour getting there. Then you walk the last mile from where the bus lets you off.

When I'm out riding I often do a drive by at the dart stations. I can't help myself from riding back and forth at least once in front of all the poor smoes waiting their life away, to ride a bus. I get their attention, then they see me riding off to anywhere I want to go. They're still stuck waiting for a bus that only goes somewhere, probably not that close to where they want to go.

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
I fixed my filter problem by taking it off and using the hose clamp to clamp a rough scotchbright pad in its place. It breathed a little better and still did its job after I sprayed a some K&N filter oil on it.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I rode over 8 miles home once, but my bike is an old 27" road bike, and I am used to biking long distance. It was just like I was riding a regular road bike with an extra 40 pound load on it. Wasn't too terrible, but I was wearing jeans instead of riding attire.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I dont mind the distance, I don't trust the bike right now mostly because of chain issues. It came off the rear sprocket after I put my new tire on once while I was peddling only a couple miles an hour. If I had been going fast, it would have eaten all the spokes!
Hasn't happened since, but I am building my trust back up. lol

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
I dont mind the distance, I don't trust the bike right now mostly because of chain issues. It came off the rear sprocket after I put my new tire on once while I was peddling only a couple miles an hour. If I had been going fast, it would have eaten all the spokes!
Hasn't happened since, but I am building my trust back up. lol
How much slack do you have? The way I would tighten it was to release the clutch and roll the bike forward until the engine pushed back. Then I'd raise the pulley on the tensioner. The other main thing is to have everything perfectly in line.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I think I have the chain problem figured out, when I re mounted the wheel, I don't think I got it on straight the first time. I am just having trust issues right now. lol