Start of the 28" Board Tracker project

GoldenMotor.com

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
the frame is really looking great. I love the way you bent your drop loop, it turned out amazing. The large vents near the rear kinda give it away. I am with you Allen_Wrench, looks like a Countach

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
ok guys, here you go:

a '77 LP500S Periscope and the other car is a '65 Renault Alpine A110 spyder.

Find out yourself whether it is the real thing or not, but I give you one hint: if I could afford the real things would I be messing around with bicycle frames to make them look like an Indian ;-) ?

Attachments

Last edited:

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
I do everything on my own... I am this type of restless guy who can't sit in front of the tv. You will always find me in my workshop...

...did the tank again today, looks much better now.

I sprayed black basecoat first on fork, frame and tank before I sprayed the red, that makes this nice shade of red, but you have to be careful that the red covers the black everywhere...

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I'm really liking that Renault, and those colors.... I think it would be cool to do a Renault inspired build or at least use those colors. That would be very cool IMO...... Now I'm even more eagerly awaiting to see this finished..... And what you tackle next

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
My christmas gift:

the painted and assembled frame with the red, wide rims and it looks great!
The tank needs a bit polishing and I haven't decided about the size of the Indian stickers, and then it will also go into the frame.
Got all engine parts, so next will be to get the engine running and after that it is some sprockets and chains-work...

...wishing everybody a nice christmas time from good old germany,

Axel

Attachments

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
We're having the same weather here in the Great Lakes area. Only occasional light dusting of snow, doesn't stay long.

I find myself looking back to the beginning photos, the difference is amazing.

Ausgezeichnet !

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Yes, I think that even though someone could afford the real thing they would make a replica bike themselves. There is something about making a machine yourself and knowing you did it that is much more fulfilling than merely writing a check to obtain it. It is a beautiful car, both of them.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
ok guys, here you go:

a '77 LP500S Periscope and the other car is a '65 Renault Alpine A110 spyder.

Find out yourself whether it is the real thing or not, but I give you one hint: if I could afford the real things would I be messing around with bicycle frames to make them look like an Indian ;-) ?
Wow. What's the fastest you've gone? your car looks very fastxct2

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I'm not sure they way you decide if there is enough shine on the tank paint, but I thought anymore and it would be a glare nuisance.

You have to excuse me with bad jokes; you have quite a nice motorbike coming together!

Measure Twice

PS

I was looking at a welding instruction book in the hardware store and it had a comment on stress relieving after making welds.

I was not really looking for info on that, but the loss of tensile stregnth if heating with torch to make bending metal easier. I was going to do this, but I think I may manage to not need to bend metal currently, just for future information.

They mentioned the only proper way to do stress relieving if it is to be done was said to be in an oven and then after a time there out in still air for cooling.

What it said also is if one thought to use a torch to heat and cool that way without the oven then it would be worse and make the metal soft loosing the tensile strength.

Since they were talking about aircraft engine mounts they also said that just welding and leaving it alone if you did not have the oven was better for I suppose other than critical aircraft engine mounts.

The reason I brought this up was because of the way you make the nice shape bends on the tubes without just heating and bending the tubes. You cut small increments and re-weld. If I remember right, you cut on the inside of the bend. Then bend while cool or heated, I am not sure?

Then you weld fill a little where the cut was made. Correct me if I made a mistake in the method.

In any case it seems to be that without heating to bend you can keep from losing the majority of tensile strength and not soften the metal, as welding does not do a such an adverse effect like heating to bend.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
Thanks all for the nice words, can't wait to complete it too, but what I have learned from many mistakes I made is wait and wait and wait after painting.

Anyway, it is christmas, so no problem to leave the thing alone for a while.

All this welding discussion is pretty interesting, but what can you do if you have limited possibilities? I just use the experiences I have made, and with my methods (cold bending and very little welding heat) and my usage of my toys (it is more for display as for use...) I never had any problems with cracked metal or welding seams- I just ride my toys occasionally and carefully... after all the work you did you really don't want to crash them...

(except the Lambo, that thing has gone through some hard times and races... dnut)