Start of the 28" Board Tracker project

GoldenMotor.com

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
Nice!

I see bosses on the upper head tube, are you going to use mechanical linkages instead of cables?

-Kirk
yep, I found nautical shroud tensioners- whatever their english name is- they will be fine for the linkage between handlebar and frame and look very much like the original indian joints. I need one cable for the front brake, but clutch and throttle will be with mechanical linkage from handlebar to frame and no cable

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Great work..... i think this is now my new favourite bike as well. Great work. LOVE IT............. Hurry up and start on your new bike, im dying to see what you do. Keep it up

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
Wow I am shocked at how good it looks. It looks like the real thing! that engine and faux cylinder are perfect, are the fake valves fixed in position or can they move? maybe rig up a small electric motor in the faux crankcase to make them move?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
yep, I found nautical shroud tensioners- whatever their english name is- they will be fine for the linkage between handlebar and frame and look very much like the original indian joints. I need one cable for the front brake, but clutch and throttle will be with mechanical linkage from handlebar to frame and no cable
Is that someting you found over there or in the states? Do you have the web site?

They look awesome,just like the rest of the build............Curt
I think you should set out in the sun,fade it, scratch it, dent it, and then it will look like a old Indian. And then ride it to death..........Curt

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Very Authentic!! Beautiful!!I'd have to side with you on the second thoughts about riding it, I know every one is into the Brooks saddles but could I throw a dog a bone on this one, go with a Gyes, you can get them at www.crowcycleco.com heres a pic of one I have on a Sportsmanflyer and by the way where can we get an engine like that or will that be a big secret, I'm also building a 1911 Indian BTR and at present it will get a PK 80/69.5 engine

Attachments

Last edited:

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States

I used one just like the middle piece to make an adjustable shift linkage on my motorcycle. Very high quality part and I've no problems with it.

MHF

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I'm waiting to see pictures where these; I hear them called turn buckles are use and what function they perform. Something about upper tube and bosses, not sure though where?

I understand the adjustment made available for shift linkages when used for that.

You'll hate to hear in what way they were used on my first motor bike where no welding was done and no clamping either. I had two holes drilled through the lower tube and that used the two of the four on just one side of the engine bottom hole mounts. Then to give it enough to be sturdy with the other two bottom engine mount holes not being used, a tripod mount if you will was done. But it was done from above the cylinder head to the top bar with one of the engine head bolts going through a pad eye and a short length of cable using u-bolts.

Finally the turn buckle to tension the engine in place. The direct drive with washing machine pulley mounted to rear wheel and v-belt completed it. Before a proper twist grip throttle was attained, my brother just set it full speed and used a string to pulse the spring loaded choke and regulated speed wasting gas. The string was loopded near the right hand grip for the fore-finger to activate. You could also stop the engine by choking.

This first motorbike done a way crude, but in comparison I am amazed and I love the idea that back yard mechanics can make more than just motor bikes, but recreate the past legend motor cycles when they still had pedals as well!

Kudos!

Measure Twice

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Sound interesting, got photo’s?

Cable control systems virtually didn’t exist on the earliest American made motorcycles and in their place mechanical linkages were used.

As you can imagine anything passing by the steering/ head tube would become complicated and the very earliest bikes simply didn’t add controls to the handle bars at all.

But for the sake of ease of control & safety concerns many manufacturers did soon move controls to the bars and came up with complex systems that used tiny u-joints, sliding rods/barrels, centerline pivots, etc...

That all changed with the invention of the Bowden cable...

Bowden cable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Curtiss was one of the first Yank’s to make the switch in 1907- And they caught on very quickly, Harley Davidson changed over in 1909.

However a couple of the era’s big dogs: Indian & Excelsior kept their old linkages well into the teens.

1911 Excelsior head tube attached...

-Kirk

Edit:

Curious, The Wiki article claims Hendee used cables on Indian’s in 1903...?

I just did a Google image search and found Indian linkages still being used until at least 1916, attached a clear photo from a ‘15 Twin :confused:

Attachments

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I will admit I have only glanced at this thread while looking for other ideas for my 1911 Indian but today I got a little more involved with your master piece and must say Damnn! your good!!
As I mentioned I'm building an Indian with a Chinese PK69.5/80cc and am looking for a way to incorperate exposed push rods, I was thinking of going to the local junk yard and getting them off an old retired clunker, then mounting the spring and tappet to the head bolt but then I'll have to find a spot to connect to the lower end.
At pirate cycles they have the vintage nylon spark plug wires that might have that touch of that vintage authenticity you have so cleverly added to your bike.
I have a long way to go with mine,its a Taylar frame (#1) and forks with gas tank,oil box and a few other Taylar goodies comming, but heres a pic as she sits.
Nice job! Axle

Attachments

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
happy new year to all of you guys, hope you had a good start into 2012

Here is some progress with my bike, in one pic there is a comparison with my first built, the modified beachcruiser with the 26" wheels and the china engine. You can see my new project is the bigger bike and it feels much more like a motorcycle when you sit on it

Attachments

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
I second this comment ^

the bike is looking really fantastic, that engine looks the real deal. I am sure that you will fool many people... until they hear it. Is that a pasta tin that you used for the false oil tank?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I liked your first bike, but i absolutely LOVE this bike. Truly a beautiful build!!!!!! Makes me wanna go out and build something, thanks for the inspiration.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I will admit I have only glanced at this thread while looking for other ideas for my 1911 Indian but today I got a little more involved with your master piece and must say Damnn! your good!!
As I mentioned I'm building an Indian with a Chinese PK69.5/80cc and am looking for a way to incorperate exposed push rods, I was thinking of going to the local junk yard and getting them off an old retired clunker, then mounting the spring and tappet to the head bolt but then I'll have to find a spot to connect to the lower end.
At pirate cycles they have the vintage nylon spark plug wires that might have that touch of that vintage authenticity you have so cleverly added to your bike.
I have a long way to go with mine,its a Taylar frame (#1) and forks with gas tank,oil box and a few other Taylar goodies comming, but heres a pic as she sits.
Nice job! Axle
=====================

Ditto!

I had a thought, don't know if it is what might be interesting for old wiring look for other than the high tension plug wire (as mentioned by Truckd above), but here is a link back with pics of what Cannonball2 used for wiring on his schwinn-point-beach-fd-remake. See on Page 3 the last two pics on right of #33 post. See the two pics with the wiring by the headlamp and by bottom of seat tube with the Blue wire with Red line wrapped around its length. It is cloth wiring on ebay I hear. I remember a waffle iron that was when bakalite was used on it before plastic; it also had the same cloth wiring.

http://motorbicycling.com/f36/schwinn-point-beach-fd-remake-35810-4.html

Measure Twice

PS:

I had a pretty good day working on my motor bike; I bought a second jackshaft as I misplaced the one I had while not working the motor bike for a while. If I find it I may use two jack shafts and another short chain with more gearing down for my hopes to get a multi-use machine. OHV woods riding and an Art Vehicle mod for parades slow moving is what I’m shooting for.

Of course your day has something to show and near finish too ......quite FANTASTIC!!! :)

Last edited:

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
I used an extended coffee tin for the oil tank, thinking about cloth wiring all the time, or try to find some retro ignition cables.
Still some work to do, added some things yesterday for the perfect 8 valve look, turned out fantastic! Now exhaust, carb and srockets...

I have to be careful, with all the things I am adding it gets quite heavy now ;-)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Pics Please...... Keep an eye out on EBay for cloth covered wire, I bought a roll very cheaply...... And I think it was Fasteddy that wisely suggested taking the cloth covering from old kettles etc.

And don't worry to much about the added weight. I don't think you will get up much speed anyway as you will have many people stopping you for a look.