Start of the 28" Board Tracker project

GoldenMotor.com

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
Pics Please...... Keep an eye out on EBay for cloth covered wire, I bought a roll very cheaply...... And I think it was Fasteddy that wisely suggested taking the cloth covering from old kettles etc.

And don't worry to much about the added weight. I don't think you will get up much speed anyway as you will have many people stopping you for a look.
yep, pics will come, too dark yesterday evening, we have thrown many old electric items away some time ago which had cloth wiring like an old iron, hairdryer and others. Time to regret, should have taken the wires off, but at that time I did not even think about building 100 years old looking bikes...

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
axel,
try this one ! i've buyed from this shop a few cable, and i'm very satisfied about their quality !

Kabel Schmidt

your bike is absolutely outstanding !!!

DFlanagan

May 23, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
happy new year to all of you guys, hope you had a good start into 2012

Here is some progress with my bike, in one pic there is a comparison with my first built, the modified beachcruiser with the 26" wheels and the china engine. You can see my new project is the bigger bike and it feels much more like a motorcycle when you sit on it
The finished bike looks great! You did a great job on both of your builds. What is the hp's on this motor?

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Amazing transformation. All the added bits make it much more convincing. The Japanese cars of the 70s and 80s used to have a lot added to the exterior that wasn't always functional....they called it "surface excitement".

MHF

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
How's the build coming along? Is the motor running yet? Would love to see a picture or video of you riding it
yep, working on it. Needed some time to figure out carb and exhaust, had to built a manifold myself cause I couldnt find any. Not so happy with it but it doesnot need to be the final one. The carb is a nice vintage one with mechanical link- no bowdenzug- from an old stationery engine, that fits my ideas.
Exhaust was pretty tricky. I wanted to have two short, straight pipes at the same side which differs from the original 8 valve Indian, but that is my artistic freedom.
I put the muffler from the Sachs stationery engine were the ignition magneto is located at the original Indian, covered it with an aluminum heatshield which looks close to the Indian horseshoe magneto, and connected the top exhaust outlet with the straight chrom pipe- you barely notice this trick.
Rear sprocket is in place but I decided to go with two chains- primary and secondary drive to get the ratio I need with the 28" wheels. Otherwise it would go 60mph, and this is something I really dont want...

I couldn't resist and kicked the engine to a short start- but I have a problem- it is just running on one cylinder... lafflaff

We are far away from testdrives over here, it is permanent rain and cold temperatures. I expect the first ride in march or april when winter ends.

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I'm at work and checking your photos on my phone, look forward to getting home to see them in more detail.... But WOW....... I'm speechless, Id have a hard time separating your replica from the real deal without lookin real close. Out-fricken-standing

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Now im at home, viewing your pics on my laptop......... and the verdict?...... Hands down, i think this is my favourite bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
If it was at a show and on static display it would fool 99% of the people it was real...... and the other 1% would still be mighty impressed with your work

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
If it was at a show and on static display it would fool 99% of the people it was real...... and the other 1% would still be mighty impressed with your work
Wow. For once in my life, I'm among the 1%. But ONLY because I know what an Indian Twin crankcase should look like. Does that mean I'm not drooling over here? Well, if I stare too long, I should be able to go kayaking right here in this room.
In short, I agree wholeheartedly: an engineering masterpiece! Very well done!