springer front forks

GoldenMotor.com

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
Im not familiar with springer front forks and how they are installed and measured. I have a hybrid cruiser bike with 700c wheels and would like to add suspension to the front wheel. What do I need to know before ordering one from Ebay to make sure it will fit? thanks for any info. Mac

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
Im not familiar with springer front forks and how they are installed and measured. I have a hybrid cruiser bike with 700c wheels and would like to add suspension to the front wheel. What do I need to know before ordering one from Ebay to make sure it will fit? thanks for any info. Mac
BEFORE I GO TO EBAY I WOULD GO TO A LOCAL BIKE SHOP WITH YOUR BIKE SO THEY CAM MEASURE HEAD TUBE HEIGHT AND AND GET THE RIGHT HEADTUBE HARDWARE. MINE WAS LESS THAN FORTY DOLLARS WHEN I GOT MIKE. AND DOES MAKE FOR A MORE ENJOYABLE RIDE.

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
I did that but they do not seem to be very helpful, the local bike store qoute me $160 to order and install a suspension fork, so i said no thank you. I looked on ebay and see that you can get springer type front forks for reasonable prices and I can install myself, likeSpringer Front Fork - Universal Fit for any 26" Bicycle Item number: 390001685494

So for springer front forks I need to know headpost length and diameter, anything more? thanks Mac

Last edited:

themark

Oct 16, 2008
Tokyo
I saw one of the cheaper springers on my way to work this morning... covered in rust. The cheap ones are not plated well, and will succumb to the weather more easily than a quality one.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
The one w/ the big curve is a low rider fork. The main thing I don't like about the cheap ones is the main tube is crimped and die punched to fit the pivot (cheap cheap cheap). You get what you pay for, or less, but almost never more!

I don't know if it fits 700c but the schwinn one sells for about $150 and has a bushed pivot that is maintanable (has grease zerks) and rebuildable. Get a sealed bearing headset.

These are easilly installed but if you are not absolutely sure you can install them properly, pay someone. Don't underestimate the importance of a properly installed front fork!

Also if you want a fr brake your gonna have to modify!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Why Joe? is it poor quality? do they break? Mac

As others have stated, they are poor quality. Plating is very very thin, and the way they are manufactured makes them subject to fatigue and stress cracks.

If you want to run a "low rider" type with the wicked bend in it, get a good quality set up and check them often. I have seen two bikes, both with the same cheepo fork, both were so loose, I don't know how the bikes were ridden and one had cracking in several places.

A faceplant waiting to happen.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
Can springers be had with front brakes?
yes , they make special brake kits that mount to the truss rod in front that flexes with the wheel which can cost some $$$$ but i took the cheaper route . there is a fender mount hole that i used to mount a regular bicycle brake but i mounted the brake pads as close to the top of the rim as possible. bacause when the springer flexed the wheel will raise so you want the brake pad to make contact and not slip into the spokes. i have both a 20" bike with a springer and a 26" bike and both brakes work flawlessly this way

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Awesome Oscar, thanks. I was wondering if I could do just that. I am (pending finances) doing a 4stroke build with a Felt Trestle. It begs for springers. ..and I beg to stop previous to the impending accident, lol

Once again, if I can dream it, you good folks can show me how. Does it get any better then that?

Vote early and Vote often.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Dan,
Two easy (but more pricey) ways to use a front brake on a springer fork:
Use a drum brake wheel or disk brake wheel.
A drum brake wheel will fit on almost anything. I found my drum wheel for $25 on Craigslist.
"Venice" drilled his springer fork and mounted a disk caliper
with the post mount holes. (Venice's next chopper in Photo/video gallery)
Used disk brake wheels are also pretty cheap on Craigslist. LOL

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Crossbow Cycle makes a springer fork that is outstanding in quality and looks. This link is to the site but you can find them elsewhere (Ebay). They can be ordered for a disc brake application also.
Crossbow Cycles Forks

Last edited:

h0tr0d

Mar 23, 2008
I have a sturmy archer drum brake on my springer. Works great, The down side is you need to have your wheel re-laced to the drum. $$$$$

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Great thread MotorMac, thank you

HotRod, I was thunking I should learn to lace a wheel and do that. Seems 2 much like work, lol. But a drum brake seems the way to go with what I want to do. Think there is a way to convert a rear wheal coaster brake? Be way cheaper.... Hmmmm

Drums really do look great too. Do you have pics up?

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Technically the Crossbow is a Girder Fork not a Springer. They are very nice looking, I'm probably gonna get one soon.

BTW hotrod does your drum have the dynamo? I love that hub.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Dan theres a thread about converting a coaster (use the search). It is cheap and easy but coasters fade w/ heavy use. Building wheels isn't that tough. getting them tensioned right can be a little tricky. But if you build it and get it close you can take it to a local shop that'll tension and true it for $5-$10. My local fave shop will do it while you wait. Interesting side note I've built some motorcycle wheels and bike wheels and like it enough that I just signed up for an 8 hr wheel building seminar.