Something new and kinda sorta 100 years old looking

Discussion in 'Motorized Cruiser Bicycles' started by fishguts, Sep 13, 2010.

1. fishguts

fishguts New Member

Steampunk has been around for decades. I understand it is still going strong as people need a diversion from reality once in a while. I know I do.

And that steam bike ... I love it when some crazy people start bolting crap together and try to make it go. Awfully large piston for such a small boiler, though. But hey, who wouldn't want to ride around with an uninsulated steel box of burning firewood between their legs! My kind of people.

2. fishguts

fishguts New Member

Now having said that ....

Steam in a conventional containment boiler, which is what the guy in the clip has, can be extremely dangerous. KABOOM even! There are potential hazards with anything steam powered (the flash boiler I'm building minimizes this a lot) but basically, the higher the pressure and the more water in the system the scarier it gets. I have temperature and pressure controls and a tiny amount of hot water and steam in the tube that runs through the boiler and hardware that can operated safely in the range I'm running this thing. It's all being carefully balanced. Pressure is limited to 100 psi and temperature will be regulated at 300 degrees F, albeit, manually. The old Stanley Steamers, by the way, ran at 400 psi.

So if anyone is planning to try this - do your homework and be sure to build a safe machine.

3. fishguts

fishguts New Member

Some goodies I've been waiting on arrived today.

A gentleman's steam bike needs luggage! The bigger box will be mounted on a bracket on the left side of the rear wheel, saddle bag style I guess, a visual balance to the boiler on the other side. It will house the water pump, battery and electronics. The smaller box will mount behind the seat and will house the LP bottles. Tan leather straps will hold them in place. The flywheel I found on a web site from an outfit in Germany and it looks to be perfect - cast iron and 5 1/2" in diameter. I need to drop it off at the machine shop to get it drilled and keyed to fit the 2-stroke/steam engine shaft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Ted

Ted New Member

Love those box's,,,trouble is their both right handers :)

5. IamTheBear

IamTheBear New Member

really liking the looks of the bags. Do wanna see a follow up of the steam punk gathering(just can't call it a convention) when all is said and done. BTW your probably gonna get hammered by questions for years to come from this one thread.

6. fishguts

fishguts New Member

I know, and it's going to be a huge problem because the big box is getting mounted on the left side. Now I have to buy the conversion kit. This is what I get for not planning ahead.

7. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

Okay, now I'm looking again. And I'm looking...still looking... I must be going blind. How can you tell? They look to me like...a box. Very nice boxes that open on top. I must be missing something...

8. Ted

Ted New Member

You are missing something, if you turn one around it will be a left hand. :)

9. corgi1

corgi1 New Member

I almost asked too,remember to wear your helmet and tall boots help,lol
    .duh.

10. Ted

Ted New Member

Fishguts caught on real quick,,,with the project he has going on he better be on top of things or he'll find his butt in the next county..xx.

11. fishguts

fishguts New Member

I should be OK now that I found a left-handed smoke shifter and installed new muffler bearings.

I was going to say "You don't have to be crazy to build something like this, but it helps!" But no, you DO have to be crazy. dance1

12. happycheapskate

happycheapskate New Member

13. Ted

Ted New Member

14. happycheapskate

15. Ted

Ted New Member

16. fishguts

fishguts New Member

Gee I wish I could launch this thing in the air 500 feet and keep it up there for 16 seconds! How cool would that be!

Sorry to say, though, it won't have enough water in it to do anything quite that spectacular, even if all the safety measures failed and it did explode. There won't be any real reservoir of water in it, just what a piece of 3/8" of tubing can hold. Worse case scenario is that it would burst a line. It has a flash-tube boiler which is a coil of tubing. Pretty ho-hum actually. It's more like the instant water heater units that don't have a tank.

17. fishguts

fishguts New Member

#217 fishguts, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  18. silverbear

silverbear The Boy Who Never Grew Up

The video of the steam tricycle put a smile on my face! Pretty cool.
    SB

19. corgi1

corgi1 New Member

It was great ,love the giant wheels,the hubs looked like a tow behind hay rake we had when I was riding my first bikes ,50's

20. happycheapskate

I am excited to see Fishgut's steam bike coming along. I think a trike is a good idea. It seems natural, since it will support a lot of weight and help with stablity. If you get yours together and it feels top heavy or inertia prone, perhaps you could make a sidecar for it.