Something new and kinda sorta 100 years old looking

Discussion in 'Motorized Cruiser Bicycles' started by fishguts, Sep 13, 2010.

1. fishguts

fishguts New Member

Thanks for the support. I actually think this silly thing might actually run. I'll mess with it until it does anyway.

The coil goes inside the black "can" which is actually an insulated section of stainless steel chimney pipe. The coil will be heated from the bottom with a propane burner.

It's a 2-stroke engine. 4-stroke's aren't as easy to convert to steam.

Oiling will be through a chainsaw carb plumbed for oil through the old gas inlet. A tank will supply the oil. I'll remove the choke, so no throttle effect, just oil being sucked through as needed. I chose a chainsaw carb because the jets are adjustable so I can mess with it to try and get it to work. Theoretically, oil will be sucked in like gas/oil used to be, tossed around the crankcase and sucked into the cylinder on the intake part of the stroke. Oil has a much higher viscosity, of course, so I assume I'll be cranking open the jets to get it to flow. I have to look into steam oil yet to see what makes it unique, so I may end up using that. Haven't crossed that bridge yet.

You'll notice I had a fill bung welded on top of the case. That's my "Plan B" in case the chainsaw carb doesn't do the trick. I figure I can run a wet crank if need be and put steam oil in the water tanks to take care of the cylinder.

2. curtisfox

curtisfox Well-Known Member

Were did you get the fenders with the mudgards? Love the way you changed them its like the old Indians

3. fishguts

fishguts New Member

They were offered on Ebay for a while but not when I went looking for them, of course. So I googled a while and they turned up from Dick's Sporting Goods, believe it or not. I bought them from their online store, pretty cheap, too. Then I ground off the rivets and spot welded the guards where I wanted them. I know I'll be hacking up the rear one once I start mounting chains and such.

4. curtisfox

Awesome I will check it out. Thanks

5. happycheapskate

happycheapskate New Member

Is that like Wunderbar?

6. fishguts

fishguts New Member

Picked up some Uberwaycoolawesomeradirificwunderbar tid bits - the 100 psi relief valve and a solenoid valve to control the boiler inlet water. The way this will work is, the water pump will run all the time at 100+ psi and the solenoid valve between the pump and the boiler will be open until the water level sensor (on a 2 second delay) tells it to close (when the boiler coil is half full). I needed a high pressure pump because when the solenoid valve is open, the steam pressure in the system will try to push the water back to the pump and the inlet water has to be able to overcome this.

I ordered a steam pressure/temperature gauge today. When my paycheck comes I'll order the $$ deep fryer thermostat. That will take care of the major components except for the battery.

[​IMG]

#186 fishguts, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  7. fishguts

fishguts New Member

Well, I ordered pretty much all of the last parts I need today. I still need to pick up the battery and there will be common fittings I can get from the hardware store, but all the big stuff is now accounted for. I decided to skip the deep fryer thermostat ... just couldn't make myself drop the $150 for it. What I decided to do is mount a standard gas grill regulator on top of the water tank or maybe down beside the seat and adjust the heat manually, watching the temp gauge. It would have been nice to have the deep fryer thermostat because I could have set the temp and allowed it to regulate itself. But that's a luxury I think I can live without.

I figured out a cool way to hide the propane tanks and electrical components, but I ain't tellin' until what I bought arrives!

I need to do a little more welding/fabricating and then paint the frame (and tank again) and then toss this thing together.

8. happycheapskate

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, even though sound of it is something quite atrocious. . . .wee.

9. Ted

Ted New Member

10. fishguts

fishguts New Member

More goodies showed up. The LP burner and steam gauge that shows both pressure and temperature.

[​IMG]

11. curtisfox

Its like a suspence theater build can't wait to see whats next.....AWESOME

12. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

I had what many little kids dream about: my (late) uncle Ray was an inventor, and held a few patents. He built a compact steam engine also, (didn't patent it though) and a frame to build a small auto body onto. Derned thing ran rather well. Some of what Fishguts is doing here is starting to look somewhat familiar.

13. fishguts

fishguts New Member

I promise to have some updates real soon. I'm finishing up a steampunk sculpture that I'll have done in the next couple days and then it's on to the bike. I'm trying to meet a deadline for a juried show. When I get the sculpture done I'll post a photo. Oh, and it's steam powered, too.

14. Ted

Ted New Member

This is going to be Interesting,,,,,,really interesting

15. IamTheBear

IamTheBear New Member

halloween horror nights had a steampunk area this year not very good either wish i had pics i could send you

16. fishguts

fishguts New Member

I saw some youtube clips - looked kinda ho-hum.

What I'm building is something that's more of an dreamer's/inventor's toy, a decorative piece that's a spin-off of some late nineteenth century and contemporary steampunk illustrations. It's not all that original in concept, but more so in execution, a 3D version of something that is commonly found in drawings, paintings and video, but more than a model as this has a fully functional steam engine powering it.

17. fishguts

fishguts New Member

Hey ... I resemble that remark!

You know, "You don't have to be crazy, but it helps."

.duh.

18. IamTheBear

IamTheBear New Member

#198 IamTheBear, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  19. happycheapskate

IamtheBear, thanks for the video!

re: steampunk fair. It may take a while to catch on. People are sitting on their money so they aren't really going out as much, and its hard to start a show. Maybe your fair will be able to grow.

20. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

Not a bad bike, but when you get to a hill all you can do is say to yourself "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..."