So Cal Race on Oct. 22 at Grange

GoldenMotor.com

SoSauty

Feb 4, 2011
Bako, CA
True,

The transponders are $300 per racer and the cheap system software is $2000. Even the pocket bikers with lots of racers, hi-dollar club fees, and years of racing don't use the transponders. You still need someone to operate the still simi-archaic timing/tracking systems. There's 1 less expensive passive system, but it also has drawbacks.

By the way, the guy that complains about the cooking gets to do the dishes. You just volunteered to assign racers which painted slot to line up on for our next MBR event; LOL!

We now have a full set of flags. Scoring went from scrap paper to having forms. We had callers and recorders. Seems we need to focus on the roll of posting. Maybe a 3rd volunteer or 1 of our past trained volunteers can take on multitasking. I'd hoped to help MBR more with getting final results, but alas, I'm getting old and my race did me in. Aerial vid is getting off the ground and we had radar clocking us.

For safety, I'd best bring an extra fire extinguisher next event and donate it to the prize table. Good to have 'em around.

It's early, but there's plenty of time to make positive suggestions. For example; Dan H, with the fat tired all terrain bike, talked to me about tires. That will get attention and worked out.
cvlt1

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
More pics, more pics, more pics!

MORE PICS!
More pics will be online by late tonight.
Craig (Photographer) and I had to redo where we were hosting them
so I can do the labeling and have access after they are all up.

Rest will be up in the next day or so.

You gotta check out Craig Nelson's video at Grange.
It was an experiment.........exciting potential for another race.
Motorized Bicycle Racing (Grange Raceway; Apple Valley, CA) Aerial Video on Vimeo

Let me know what you think.

etard

Apr 9, 2011
Yucaipa, CA
The race at Grange was a true blast. Had lots of fun and there was really good competition at the race. The only thing that needed improvement was that some rude organizer guy decided to combine 3 races into 1 (both 2 stroke groups and the small 4 stroke group). This caused utter chaos on the track as there was almost 30 bikes on the track at once only to save 15 minutes for the day. After several riders repeatedly told this guy that it was unsafe and not a good idea the decision was made and still moved forward with resulting in many crashes including myself. The scariest part was seeing 30 riders going into turn 1 at the same time (stupid). If only this organizer guy would have been on the track, it would have been nice to see this guy go down with the riders that he so ignorantly decided to put out there in the first place.

These races need to be more organized. The reason for having heats in the first place is to eliminate slower riders to allow the faster bikes to battle in the following races. That's how the adults do it anyway. Once the faster riders begin lapping the slower riders, they simply get in the way which is very dangerous! If the organizer wasn't so interested in making money on the race, the track had the ability to furnish transponders to everybody for $300.00 and the races would have been scored properly. If that would have been broken up the 100+ ways it would have come out to $1.33 extra to know the the track time, speed, and place.

As for the riders and spectators in the race. Thanks to everyone who came out to support motorized bicycle racing. It was a great time and nice to see all the bike designs and efforts that everyone is putting into making their bikes faster (way cool). Hopefully the next event will run as smooth as the bikes in it.
From the looks of it the most dangerous part of this race was you buddy. I mean did you REALLY think the other rider was not going to take the proper and well earned inside line. Watching your riding I can clearly state that my second lap ever on that track after sunset was cleaner than the lines you were hacking together out there. My GF watching the video couldn't believe how bad your riding was. This is just a case of a fast bike handled by an unskilled rider. Sorry to be so harsh, but your first post on this forum combined with your actions on the track calls for a reaction. Maybe check out a motoGP or AMA race and see how the first corner is more about slotting in and making it cleanly through rather than trying to take positions.

Thanks for posting the vid though. It actually made me want to get a 2 stroker.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
For me, the most awesome part of this event was getting to meet all of these people whom I have admired through this website, but have only known as a screen name. Msrfan, Bairdco, Duecedave, briggsbiker, scotto, ccc, magrider, oppania, Timm and Roland from Bigboybikes, Samford&son, Motorbicycleracing, Brokenpedals, Dan from Taylar bikes, etc. These are just letters on a computer screen normally with maybe pics of a build, but I got to talk to these heroes of mine and even shaked a couple of hands. It really meant a lot to me.

And although I was a little bit sad about being the the slowest bike in the "fast 4 stroke" races, I still felt honored to meet a bunch of you guys.

Thank you so much Neil for doing this, I am sorry that the turnout did not seem large enough to cover your labor put into this event.

Oh yeah, the other awesome part was I was one of the guys who helped put out the flaming battery with my fire extinguisher. It was pretty exciting, I never really had to use a fire extinguisher before.

Thanks to everyone,

Gilbert

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Anyone missing a helmet, back protector and Alpine gloves?

Jim Granger the owner of Grange Motor Circuit has them
and there was some kind of motorcycle stand left behind too.

Sorry, but it looks like the pics haven't been uploaded yet.

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Great pics and great stories. That Heli vid's cool, but it looks like the pilot needs more practice before trying to follow a group of leaders around :) Would be bad if it swooped in and took somebody out, lol.

Should hook Gil up with the parts if nobody claims them for being right there with an extinguisher :)

Looking forward to more pics ^^)

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
buba here
wow!!!!! looks like everyone had toooo much fun
thanks for all the photos -vid -and even aerials posted
keep it coming along with personal stories - fires -party pics etc
great job neil dont give it up!!!! please !!!!
i am sure no one could possibly do it as well as you
wish i could have been there to ride and help out
i will live by the photos alone--
to everyone i know and everyone i am sorry i did not meet ride safe

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hey Easyrider Thanks for posting the vid. of dave going down. It show me getting a wicked hole shot at the start .plus it was fun watching us dice it out for first..
Flex...

Piston Bikes Dave

Jun 5, 2011
simi valley
From the looks of it the most dangerous part of this race was you buddy. I mean did you REALLY think the other rider was not going to take the proper and well earned inside line. Watching your riding I can clearly state that my second lap ever on that track after sunset was cleaner than the lines you were hacking together out there. My GF watching the video couldn't believe how bad your riding was. This is just a case of a fast bike handled by an unskilled rider. Sorry to be so harsh, but your first post on this forum combined with your actions on the track calls for a reaction. Maybe check out a motoGP or AMA race and see how the first corner is more about slotting in and making it cleanly through rather than trying to take positions.

Thanks for posting the vid though. It actually made me want to get a 2 stroker.
You obviously have the wrong guy here buddy. You are looking at the video of the guy with the Mornini that crashed. Not here to make a bunch of enemies but only stating the obvious. I was just wondering if you had any thoughts of your own on this matter or are you just trying fit in?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i know the reasoning behind putting everyone on the track in the main (although it was weird running up on scotto's slower 4 stroke) as the turnout was less than expected so they gave everyone another chance on the track, it's the same thing they did in tucson at the last death race.

the slower traffic can definitely be a pain, even a hazard at times, and i hope we get to the point where enough riders turn out to have actual qualifying heats where only the fastest riders advance, but this "sport" is still new, and none of us are professional organizers or racers, and realistically, the money, manpower and technology just isn't there for us.

in hindsight, yeah, there was time to run the 4 stroke class alone, there could've been a main event with only the top 8 or 10 riders from the heats in it, and everything coulda been a little more organized, but those things need more coordination, participation, and suggestions from everyone, instead of letting all the decisions fall on one or two people.

i know neil said we, the racers, were supposed to help out with scoring, flagging, and whatever other track duties, but i didn't see a lot of help from most of the riders.

i grabbed a yellow flag and stood in the dirt and sun without being asked, because i saw it needed to be done. i might even of saved someone else from crashing when i caution flagged the pack after that morini went down in the last turn and was still dragging his bike off the track while the rest of the pack was barreling down on him.

it's gonna take awhile before these races go off smoothly, and it's gonna take more than just complaining. i'm not taking sides here, either. i can see, and understand dave's point. luckily, i got out ahead of the pack into the first corner, and didn't have to deal with traffic till i started lapping it. but if i woulda gone down, or been held up by someone half my speed out for a joyride, i'd be PO'd, too.

bottom line, it's us, as racers, who are gonna decide the future of it. if we don't pitch in with our ideas, our time, and our resources (like, if you know where to get transponders, or flags, or hot dogs and sodas...) it's not gonna get better, and if people feel that it ain't getting better, instead of trying to do something about it, they just ain't gonna show up.

i think this was a much better race than willow, and i hope the next one's even better...

that's enough outta me, i'm gonna go have some beers...

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
Slower traffic and lap riders will always be there. If the front riders are fast and good enough then getting around a slower rider should be no problem. I would hate to see somebody get eliminated from the heat races and not be able to race the main especially if they travel from another state to race one of these events. I know I would be PO.....

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Slower traffic and lap riders will always be there. If the front riders are fast and good enough then getting around a slower rider should be no problem. I would hate to see somebody get eliminated from the heat races and not be able to race the main especially if they travel from another state to race one of these events. I know I would be PO.....
Yeah, but did you ever have to try and pass DuceDave......was like a hound dog chasing a squirrel! Sure was fun wasn't it though?! Fun racing with ya Dave ;)

Saw you in the pits!

dnut

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Yeah, but did you ever have to try and pass DuceDave......was like a hound dog chasing a squirrel! Sure was fun wasn't it though?! Fun racing with ya Dave ;)

Saw you in the pits!

dnut
Lol I agree Dave was hard to pass I have it on video lol . Had a blast racing you Dave and scotto to much fun .