So Cal Race on Oct. 22 at Grange

GoldenMotor.com

Bigboy

May 4, 2011
Placerville, California.
Looking forward to the next

SoCal FUN Motor Bicycle Racing

or the: SCFMBR

I could not have said it better my friend!

The "slow" guys are just as important to the event and
without them there would be no race.

Everyone coming will get two 5 lap heats and a 12 lap final.

True the slower riders will not get into the Ultimate race
and will not win bragging rights or prizes but I am sure they
will have just as much fun as the riders that did.

Of course there are improvements to be made with some of
ways the race went like the starting grid. It was supposed to
be 3 lines of bikes but that needs a few of you to step up and
help on the day.

I am renaming the event to SoCal FUN Motor Bicycle Racing! :D

SoSauty

Feb 4, 2011
Bako, CA
AMEN

BigBoy. and I understand you too Bairdco. Me thinks it all works out on the track. In the Ultimate or main races up front, you can get serious. It's all natural, like reactions in a fast pass. No contact passes needed, but you can make the other guy think you won't back off. Lots of laps to sort out who owns 1st place.

Now if it's my buddies that I've practiced with, maybe I'll dive into a corner closing the door on 'em, they'd do the same to me. If it were my brother, or 1 of the neighbor friends I used to have mini-bike loogie fights on the playground with, then I'd grab his brake lever. He'd expect it and not go down.

Yet at these 'Motored Bike Mixers' we have the community sport to think of and put 1st. We've made it thru 2011 with no permanent serious injuries. Let's build on that safety record and have even more fun in the years to come.
.duh.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
it'd be interesting to see everyone in a 12 lap main if 50+ two strokers show up at the next race...
I don't know why you don't get this....

It would be split into TWO groups of 25 two strokers just
like we did at Willow Springs last June 18th.

There would be a fast and a not so fast group.

Never going to run more than 30 bikes together and more
like 20 to 25.

20 bikes on the track makes for exciting racing but not too
crowded to cause crashes.

bairdco said:
too bad the track is out in the middle of nowhere, it'd be great to have an event where we could have a group ride, then a race.
There are certain limits and realities to life and one of them is that there
are not enough hours in a day to have a rally and a race on the same day.

Last edited:

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
Like Saulty said keep building on the safety record. As for myself I had only one racer take a bad line trying to overtake me in a corner, that's racing, It was up to me at that point to avoid an accident. As far as the lapper's I encountered, everyone held their line and it was up to me to pass cleanly. Passing cleanly is probably the most important lesson I've learned as I get older. Remember we have to pay the bills and be at work Monday.

All in all it was a very fun event, the racers will get better as we all get more laps and experience under our belts. Everything will get better as long as we all have the same goal in mind and that is to have fun.

I had a great time!

Last edited:

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.
I'm a serious fun racer and the track is the place for it-I would rather be out front but I'll have a good time hacking it out with who ever I get packed up with and I'm MODing up for the next race as are most of you because fast is good and you know it!

Neil, how about some smaller fund raising events to off set the cost of the big day events- camp out rides- build days and shows

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
First, we had a great time and met a lot of nice people and saw very interesting bikes!
As stressed out as Neil was, he did an excellent job organizing and managing
this event!

We understood this "race" more as a get together of like minded people
who want to have fun and NOT as a RACE!!!!

It seems to us that the majority of the bikers at this event had the same
understanding of the purpose of this event! (just take a look at the bikes)

Now, as for the "serious racers of motorized bicycles" (which in itself is an oxymoron LOL) it will be rather expensive for you 5 ???? guys to finance an event like this all by yourselfe!

We did not drive 1000 miles and spend $ 400 in gas to be told to take our ball
and go home after 5 laps!

If one would be serious about racing you would not putt putt along on a little
bicycle with a stationary engine in it!!!

We think an event like this is to promote motorized bicycles to all groups of
people and the main purpose is to have fun!!!

If you turn this event into a rich boy race with attitude to match you will
kill it!

We promise you that!

P.S. a "serious racer" should be able to overtake slower drivers with ease
and deal with traffic conditions, it's part of the challenge!
Yup, just gotta say you touched on some very valid points. The big fish/little pond syndrome is a sure way to kill it.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i get it neil, just sayin...

racing is racing, and cruising is cruising. there's a place for both. just not on a racetrack at the same time. i'm more competitive than most people, and i feel if you're on the track, you should be there to race, not be happy getting lapped multiple times as you're enjoying the scenary.

there's more potential for injury when you've got guys ****-bent for speed blasting passed a guy who's bike's set up for a parade.

to put it into my perspective, which should help everyone understand what i mean, the reason i didn't race the ultimate race is because i didn't want to get tangled up with the 4stroke bikes with 4times the motor and twice the weight as my bike, or the silent electrics sneaking up on me at almost 70mph.

not being a wuss about it, i just didn't want to be in the way. and since almost all of us have very little racing experience, i elected to sit it out and watch, instead of taking a chance at getting t-boned by a lunatic on a motorcycle with pedals.

as cool as the 4 stroke, 200+ cc monsters are, i don't wanna be on the same track with them. never thought i'd say this, but where do you draw the line? 11hp? i know some of those bikes crossed it.

now, relating that to the 2stroke class, i wouldn't wanna be the guy an the walmart special smoking along at 20 while there's people like me on the track at twice that speed.

you can argue that a good racer needs to hold his lines, be able to cut through slower traffic, etc, but what about a not so good racer? you can be the best dang racer on the track, and still get taken out by someone else's mistakes.

i'm sorry if i grew up racing stuff. in bmx, a 12year old novice didnt race against stompin stu thompson. but i could go play little league baseball and get a trophy, even if my team placed last.

ultimately, people are gonna build faster and faster bikes, and everything else will evolve along with them. at this stage of the game, it's small enough to keep it low-key, low-budget, and low-risk. but it's hopefully gonna get bigger and more serious, and i think we should prepare for that, and establish some ground rules early on.

i gotta go now, i've gotta get this twin turbo cummings V12 deisel engine mounted im my cranbrook before the next race. anyone know where i can get some 6' wide cranks?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

racing is racing, and cruising is cruising. there's a place for both. just not on a racetrack at the same time. i'm more competitive than most people, and i feel if you're on the track, you should be there to race, not be happy getting lapped multiple times as you're enjoying the scenary.

now, relating that to the 2stroke class, i wouldn't wanna be the guy an the walmart special smoking along at 20 while there's people like me on the track at twice that speed.

you can argue that a good racer needs to hold his lines, be able to cut through slower traffic, etc, but what about a not so good racer? you can be the best dang racer on the track, and still get taken out by someone else's mistakes.
You still do not get it.......who said you were going to be on the track
at the same time with much slower riders?

There will be an entry level, new rider, slow cruiser set of heats
and finals for the 2 stroke China bikes.

and another set of heats and final race for the faster guys like you.

So the faster guys will not be mixing it up with the walmart special smoking
along at 20 as you put it.

Only the fast group will advance to the Ultimate Race of all the classes.

There weren't enough 2 strokes to separate them out at Grange.

Why are you agitating to exclude the slower 2 stroke guys from the race?????
It is NOT going to happen, The races are going to stay a fun inclusive event.

bairdco said:
to put it into my perspective, which should help everyone understand what i mean, the reason i didn't race the ultimate race is because i didn't want to get tangled up with the 4stroke bikes with 4times the motor and twice the weight as my bike, or the silent electrics sneaking up on me at almost 70mph.

not being a wuss about it, i just didn't want to be in the way. and since almost all of us have very little racing experience, i elected to sit it out and watch, instead of taking a chance at getting t-boned by a lunatic on a motorcycle with pedals.
magrider diced it out with the fast bikes in the Ultimate race without
any problems and beat one of them and there were a couple of 2
strokes behind him, #77, #67, #32, #95 and #111 slower ebike.
#98 the winner of the little 50 cc 4 stroke class wasn't afraid of mixing
it up with the fastest bikes too.
So I guess that does make you a wuss with a slow bike. :D

Lunatic? The fast ebikes were piloted by fast but very smooth riders
and there were only 17 bikes on the track.

The 67 mph #100 liveforphysics eBike with the 8" diameter electric motor
is in the Unlimited class with AGK and the fast Moped if he races again.
bairdco said:
as cool as the 4 stroke, 200+ cc monsters are, i don't wanna be on the same track with them. never thought i'd say this, but where do you draw the line? 11hp? i know some of those bikes crossed it.
scotto- lead the big fast 4 strokes and the 11 hp Morini for 11 laps
by a 1/3 of a lap when he slid out in the off camber turn 2 and gave
the race away.......

scotto's Harbor Freight was less than 11 hp with no cam, head work or
other internal engine mods except stronger valve springs.

I rode both scotto's big 4 stroke and PaulD's winning ebike and the
ebike accelerated much faster and was 50 lbs lighter.

Last edited:

Bigboy

May 4, 2011
Placerville, California.
We are very sorry you do not have the social skills to have a get together
without seeing enemies around you once you get on the track!
It must have been rough to grow up in "racing stuff"!!??

Maybe someone can form a CLUB of people which think the same way as you do .....

HARDCORE BICYCLE RACER CLUB ?

You just exhibit the "little rich boy racer" attitude we were warning about!

You are NOT the only guy that raced in his life that are part of this forum!

By the way: most people that came to this FUN race did NOT care about a trophy or standing on the podium!!

Just chill.........!!!!!!!!!!!

there's more potential for injury when you've got guys ****-bent for speed blasting passed a guy who's bike's set up for a parade.

i'm sorry if i grew up racing stuff. in bmx, a 12year old novice didnt race against stompin stu thompson. but i could go play little league baseball and get a trophy, even if my team placed last.

ultimately, people are gonna build faster and faster bikes, and everything else will evolve along with them. at this stage of the game, it's small enough to keep it low-key, low-budget, and low-risk. but it's hopefully gonna get bigger and more serious, and i think we should prepare for that, and establish some ground rules early on.

i gotta go now, i've gotta get this twin turbo cummings V12 deisel engine mounted im my cranbrook before the next race. anyone know where i can get some 6' wide cranks?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
bairdco said:

What the **** does that have to do with the fun time everyone had
at Grange last Saturday?
You ain't making the rules so stop worrying about stuff that hasn't
happened. I am prepared, thanks for your concerns.
Hyperbole, exaggeration, with a few red herrings thrown in just to
stir the pot right?

I am taking it race by race and the next one is scheduled for Sat April 7th 2012
returning to the very challenging and FUN track at Grange Motor Circuit.

Any twin turbo cummings V12 diesel engines mounted in crappy cranbrooks
with 6' cranks will be put in the UNLIMITED CLASS where they can race
against AGK, liveforphysics and Chris's very fast Moped from Tomahawk Mopeds

PS: Anyone with one of those jet propelled bicycles come on down!

Last edited:

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
So that's the next race? April 7th. what track is it going to be at? I'm going to try to get my next build finished by then, and hopefully I will win my #1 plate back.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
now you guys are taking it all wrong. i don't have a "rich boy attitude." i'm all for anyone who wants to get on the track, no matter what their speed or experience level is (or wallet size.)

and i guess the reason i "don't get it," is because none of it was ever posted before. first i heard of having entry level, etc classes.

i'm not trying to pick fights or make enemies, just looking for some clarity, and typing my opinions. i don't feel as if i've insulted anyone, but if i have, sorry. sometimes it's hard to have a conversation with a keyboard.

i'll just stop typing here and let the races progress without my input.

see you at the next one...

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
i'm all for anyone who wants to get on the track, no matter what their speed or experience level is (or wallet size.)

and i guess the reason i "don't get it," is because none of it was ever posted before. first i heard of having entry level, etc classes..
Sounds good to me.............. :)

#66 Brokenpedals, my buddy Chris was at Willow Springs and Grange
and even though his bike was kinda slow and more of an art piece he
is more than welcome to come run around the track on Sat April 7th 2012.

Last edited:

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
You are NOT the only guy that raced in his life that are part of this forum!

By the way: most people that came to this FUN race did NOT care about a trophy or standing on the podium!!

Just chill.........!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank You Bigboy.

I guess I forgot to mention that I raced bmx when I was a 13 year old expert, and when I got bored with that I use to race dirt bikes.

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
I am taking it race by race and the next one is scheduled for Sat April 7th 2012
returning to the very challenging and FUN track at Grange Motor Circuit.
#66 Brokenpedals, my buddy Chris was at Willow Springs and Grange
and even though his bike was kinda slow and more of an art piece he
is more than welcome to come run around the track on April 12th 2012.
Neil Im seeing two dates for the grange?